THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: MK Dons Women
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:36 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
Magpie wrote:
It may be true that not every player is available every game but that true of any non pro sports team. The notion that on any given week up to 30 players dont get called up to play just seems so unlikely to be not credible.

The more I think about it, the more I am coming to the conclusion that the club are able to distance themselves from this as its the responsibility of the SET. Kind of 'Its not me guvnor honest' approach whilst also mandating the budget cut.

Id still love to know what it was cut from as a budget of £2000 may as well be £0 but if it was only ever £4/5K then its more a case of slimming the whole section down a bit.

EDIT TO ADD: The team used 28 players in total for this season so much more reasonable, there are 52 players registered with the FA to the team therefore 24 ish players never featured for the first team so either there is another team or they are able to go an play for other teams as well as being affiliated to MK Dons Women

As far as I understand it, the arrangement is only marginally more formal than my 50-strong Whatsapp group we use to organise 7 a side games. A third of them basically never play, or play elsewhere. I really do think that 30 odd players are either unavailable or don't get the nod every week. There's no U21s or anything with the women. A lot of them are students or work full time jobs.

The club has no ambition for the women's team which is sad because they run on a total shoestring and they all seem to have overachieved. But I am a realist too and think the club has decided there's no money or future in it with the way the club is right now.

See my edit. they actually used 28 players out of 52 signed on. The others must play elsewhere as they never featured for the team.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:54 pm 

CleanDon wrote:
This feels like the end of the road for the Women's team, they wont compete in the third tier next year, the year after they'll probably have the Stadium taken off them due to poor performances.

Seems a shame really,, the few times I've worked down there when they've been playing there's been crowds of 400-600 with very little advertising as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:22 pm 

I work most Subdays and when I'm not I'm usually hungover. Not much an excuse but I've wanted to get down for a while and it's just not landed. I hadn't realised it was quite so bleak so once the season starts I'll make sure I head down there to play my part in geeing the girls up.

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14