THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: MK Dons Women
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:10 am 

Completely agree with the recent comments about the over praising of routine / pretty poor stuff in the women's game.

As I've said, I've no interest in women's football so, like most things I've no interest, I'm not going to go out of my way to watch much of it. But whenever I have seen some of it then I could accept the fact that everything was just worse then men's football - skill, pace, strength,.etc - though that in itself is a reason why I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it through choice. But it was the fact that everything was talked up as if it was all great and so impressive that I found the most frustrating element of it.

I've noticed the same at Snooker, where the top 4 women players get to play on the Main circuit. They lose almost all the matches against the male players - even to the lowest ranked ones / the amateurs. A look at the end of season rankings shows, once again, all 4 in the bottom 9 out of the 127 players.

Yet every match the commentators will inevitably go on about how they've not made it easy and been unlucky and what a great advert it's been for women's snooker, etc. It's a terrible advert, as they're almost always losing, with very few high breaks, and right at the bottom of the rankings! When you actually get one who starts winning more and climbing up the rankings - that'll be the good advertisement for women's snooker.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:24 am 

I enjoyed the past few England tournaments, I even stayed uo to late hours ten years ago to watch the WC in Canada. But I have absolutely no interest in watching Aston Villa's women v Bristol City Women at Walsall... so guess I'm a Stella drinking, woman beating gay bald nonce because I'd rather do something else

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:20 am 

Alby39 wrote:
I enjoyed the past few England tournaments, I even stayed uo to late hours ten years ago to watch the WC in Canada. But I have absolutely no interest in watching Aston Villa's women v Bristol City Women at Walsall... so guess I'm a Stella drinking, woman beating gay bald nonce because I'd rather do something else

Youre not one of those things if you dont watch it, you are one of those things if you go on sicial media and be a Ladybit to the girls in the women's game and cry about it when they get opportunites in the mens game like we havent had to put up with tosspots like Jermaine jenas and michael owen over the years.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:34 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Youre not one of those things if you dont watch it, you are one of those things if you go on sicial media and be a Ladybit to the girls in the women's game and cry about it when they get opportunites in the mens game like we havent had to put up with tosspots like Jermaine jenas and michael owen over the years.

At least we've now managed to narrow this down to a few (admittedly idiot) pundits on social media, rather than every single person who doesn't like women's football, which is what you said yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:38 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

That's a big step back from your initial post - which started with "If you dont like womens football..." That suggested your point was everyone must like it, or they were... If you're now saying you only meant anyone going out of their way to be a troll about it then, yeah - but that applies to most things, surely? Venomous or abusive posts about any topic is obviously unacceptable. Having no interest in a particular sport or version of it, as your initial post seem to include as well, is perfectly acceptable and the norm as most things are liked by some, disliked by others, with plenty being pretty indifferent about it.

Incidentally, regarding going on social media and being a Ladybit by being insulting / abusive about people in Football - why are your comments about Jenas and Owen being "tosspots" any more acceptable in your mind?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:23 pm 

I guess you are referring to the likes of Jill Scott, Eni Aluko, Farrah Williams, Alex Scott etc.

As it goes I dont mind any of them particularly other than the over praise of the mediocre which is constant. I dont really understand how they are qualified to discuss premier league or international football just because they played football professionally. If that was the qualfication, how come the commentary team isnt full of ex L1 & L2 players?

Im guessing its more to do with their ability to string sentences together on camera. Thats not actually about what they say as most ex players talk complete bollocks but more their ability to say it.

Or not, I certainly dont know.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:48 pm 

Eni Aluko is a complete moron who should be no where near football of either gender. Her claim that women feel unsafe attending the men's game was a complete lie. She adds absolutely no value as a pundit.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:02 pm 

I would still like to know what actually happened to the budget for MK Dons Women.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:22 pm 

Because of priveledge. The same reason you cant be racist to white people. That and the fact what i said was in a space they will never be subjected to and what these sexist bigots say is directed at them on a news dtory about them which if they search their name or read articles about themselves will very likely see. Same reason i wouldnt post hateful comments towards jenas or owen in a bbc sport post but i might have a moan with my mates in a private space where they wont be subjected to it.

I will clarify that theres nothing wrong with not watching womens football. I dont watch curling, but i also dont go on curling articles and make them feel like it shouldnt exist or make them feel like shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:29 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Eni Aluko is a complete moron who should be no where near football of either gender. Her claim that women feel unsafe attending the men's game was a complete lie. She adds absolutely no value as a pundit.

Is it a lie though, to feel that way as a black woman or are we just priviledged to gk and watch a fairly subdued mk dons experience? My old man goes to watch luton and been in no end of things kicking off particularly facing swindon. How would a woman feel in those situations? If you think women dont get groped on occasions at gigs in crowded areas they do. Just because we watch football in a library doesnt mean some women arent experiencing shit at other venues and events.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next