THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 24/25 Season
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:27 am 

I would like to see some players who've been here and seen it and done it in L2. Even if its not promotion, competitive first team players aged 26 and up. Not all, of course but experience counts for a lot.

Paddy Madden isn't the answer to a week in week out thing but players of that ilk, who've performed in promotion winning sides, top of the tables etc etc

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:55 pm 

I'd expect a few of the younger players move into more important roles as the year goes on, in order to keep the wages under control.

I'd like to see Payne brought back.

I do wonder what the plan is for Devoy & Burns. If Wearne can get consistent gametime, surely Devoy & Burns can contribute as well?

I felt all season we missed that Twine-type player- the guy clearly better than the level we are at, that can turn the game.

I expect we lose Dean. And while we will likely look outside the club for his replacement- I'm keen to see more of Matt Dennis too.

The back 3 (if we retain the formation) is in need of a rebuild. Other than Lewie, we lack any real dominant type back there. As much as the MO is to get skilled passing types, I'd hazard a guess that decisive players that are not easily rattled would be more valuable in the short term.

But above all that- we need a GK that is the clear #1. For mine, the team build starts from the very back. If your #1 is rubbish, or even questionable, everyone in front of him is a mistake away from disaster.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 2:34 pm 

We need enough (decent) strikers to be able to ride injuries to our first choice whoever it is. Maybe if we had kept hold of Mo rather than letting him go on loan would have meant we had a decent back up to Dean.

And goalkeepers, obviously. I'm sure that debacle cost us the autos.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 2:41 pm 

Another issue we have is a lot of the recently contracted players are not MW's type, so if he's here next season then It'll be interesting to see what happens.

McGillivary, Williams, Norman and Harrison have all struggled for minutes and will all be on significant wages.

Norman for me is our best defensive player, but even with Tucker performing so poorly, he couldn't get in the team, so where does that leave him? Harrison is a decent player, but is he really happy to be getting 20 minutes a game?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:23 pm 

Well you're the ante-post favourites with the only bookmaker to have released odds yet; and they have even less idea of your squad come August than you supporters do.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:40 pm 

WhiteRussian wrote:
We need enough (decent) strikers to be able to ride injuries to our first choice whoever it is. Maybe if we had kept hold of Mo rather than letting him go on loan would have meant we had a decent back up to Dean.

And goalkeepers, obviously. I'm sure that debacle cost us the autos.

Wouldn't have mattered when it counted. Failed to hold on to a lead at Notts for 7 minutes. Didn't turn up at all against Mansfield. You can have all the strikers in the world scoring you goals no clean sheets means you will struggle to get wins on the board.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:16 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
We've never finished lower than fourth in League Two. Automatic promotion is an absolute must next season. One more season the same or worse than that will damage support irreparably IMO.

This.

Anything less than 4th in L2 is an embarrassment and would cause riots.

Stadium MK is always SHITE in the Playoffs

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:49 am 

Dean suspended for first 3 games for his PlayOff Stamp.

Not the best start to the season, although he may well have been sold by them anyway

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 am 

Rookie wrote:
Dean suspended for first 3 games for his PlayOff Stamp.

Not the best start to the season, although he may well have been sold by them anyway

We managed ok without him when he was injured for three months I am sure three games will be fine. If he still with us, which I doubt.