THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 3:20 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
It could be a big summer for us financially with both O'Riley and Dean likely to leave. Hopefully both deals get done early on in the window.

I’m sorry I can’t agree with that, we have hardly ever seen any benefit from a sale, or a sell on, and I can’t see it changing now when we appear to be cutting back on everything.
I’m happy to be wrong, but I can’t think of any.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 4:03 pm 

WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
It could be a big summer for us financially with both O'Riley and Dean likely to leave. Hopefully both deals get done early on in the window.

I’m sorry I can’t agree with that, we have hardly ever seen any benefit from a sale, or a sell on, and I can’t see it changing now when we appear to be cutting back on everything.

We've been unlucky with sell on fees up to now. Darling, Twine, Dele, etc so hard to say we've not used that money. We've not done much with the transfer fees that those players were sold for so I see your point. Most of it seems to be going back in to fund the club's running costs but that is normal at this level

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm 

WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

What is the alternative in both of those deals? To get O'Riley's deal done, we had to agree to a large sell on clause. We also had to agree to a min release clause in his contract. Remember, he had a contract offer with Fulham on the table.

Are you proposing we didn't do a deal at all? If so, we'd have missed out on having him at all, £1.5mil sale and also any sell on fee we receive.

Same goes for Dean. Surely it is better to have had him, get £1m+ for him and then potential future sell on clause too?

I mean, of course we could just sign 30+ year olds with no future value, but that would be extremely unwise for any club below the prem.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 4:39 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

What is the alternative in both of those deals? To get O'Riley's deal done, we had to agree to a large sell on clause. We also had to agree to a min release clause in his contract. Remember, he had a contract offer with Fulham on the table.

Are you proposing we didn't do a deal at all? If so, we'd have missed out on having him at all, £1.5mil sale and also any sell on fee we receive.

Same goes for Dean. Surely it is better to have had him, get £1m+ for him and then potential future sell on clause too?

I mean, of course we could just sign 30+ year olds with no future value, but that would be extremely unwise for any club below the prem.

Nobody is suggesting we don’t do deals…..sell ons …..whatever……what I’m saying is I can’t think of an occasion where we have used those monies to improve the team. I’m not suggesting we use all of it, but the only way I can see us furthering ourselves is to reinvest some of that money….say 50%.
Dele for instance……what did we do with that, who did we buy, above what we normally would have done. I’m not 100% but isn’t this a strategy both Brentford and Bournemouth have used in the past, two teams we have played not so long ago……and look where they are now.
I’m not saying it will work for us, but our strategy seems to be make a profit on someone, and then go back to the bottom of the well again.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Don't you know all the money is going on the training ground?

Oh wait... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 pm 

BuckDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Don't you know all the money is going on the training ground?

Oh wait... :lol:

Good point - the money from Dele Alli went on the training ground.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:16 pm 

WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Nobody is suggesting we don’t do deals…..sell ons …..whatever……what I’m saying is I can’t think of an occasion where we have used those monies to improve the team. I’m not suggesting we use all of it, but the only way I can see us furthering ourselves is to reinvest some of that money….say 50%.
Dele for instance……what did we do with that, who did we buy, above what we normally would have done. I’m not 100% but isn’t this a strategy both Brentford and Bournemouth have used in the past, two teams we have played not so long ago……and look where they are now.
I’m not saying it will work for us, but our strategy seems to be make a profit on someone, and then go back to the bottom of the well again.

Regarding Dele …..Interested to know I had a look……the following season we were relegated from the Championship, and we paid a fee for just one player ……Joe Walsh, hardly a record breaking purchase from Crawley. In the January Robbo asked for funds to keep us up, and was told you can have next summers budget …..but if you take it in January ….the warchest will be empty in July.
The money we were told…….not sure but I think I can recall this……the money made on Dele was ring fenced for the training ground…….that was over 9 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pm 

WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

The money was spent poorly, no one can disagree with that. We recruited terribly that season in the Championship.

However, I am all for the majority of transfer fees to pay off debt and keep the club sustainable. I'd rather be a League 2 club than one put into administration due to poor financial decisions.

Sell on fees are always a risk, but we're not letting these players go for free. The sell on is a bonus .

For the record, Brentford received £20mil worth of investment over a 2 year period. Bournemouth is an even more unrealistic comparison with their owner investing over £150mil. Pete doesn't have that sort of money and investors aren't knocking down the door to just invest in us.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 6:51 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

The money was spent poorly, no one can disagree with that. We recruited terribly that season in the Championship.

However, I am all for the majority of transfer fees to pay off debt and keep the club sustainable. I'd rather be a League 2 club than one put into administration due to poor financial decisions.

Sell on fees are always a risk, but we're not letting these players go for free. The sell on is a bonus .

For the record, Brentford received £20mil worth of investment over a 2 year period. Bournemouth is an even more unrealistic comparison with their owner investing over £150mil. Pete doesn't have that sort of money and investors aren't knocking down the door to just invest in us.

How do you know there weren't and/or aren't investors knocking down the door? After all we didn't find about the Red Bull approach to years later. One thing is sure Pete can't sustain a Championship squad.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:48 pm 

Yea Rhys Healey got jack all out of that...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next