THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Wigan and Rochdale
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 am 

I just worry for D50 after watching pep lose to Wigan, he may need counselling. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 am 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
I just worry for D50 after watching pep lose to Wigan, he may need counselling. ;)

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am 

Coddy wrote:
Warwickdons wrote:
Scribble wrote:
Both raised their games massively, not unusual when playing higher level teams, both deserved the results on their effort, doesn’t mean they will continue that form in the league

Have you seen where Wigan are in the league?
I'm sure Rochdale will be inspired on Wednesday, I'm sure we won't match their spirit unfortunately!

Thank god you are not our manager!

What's being the manager got to do with this? What's your point?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 am 

Warwickdons wrote:
Coddy wrote:
Warwickdons wrote:
Scribble wrote:
Both raised their games massively, not unusual when playing higher level teams, both deserved the results on their effort, doesn’t mean they will continue that form in the league

Have you seen where Wigan are in the league?
I'm sure Rochdale will be inspired on Wednesday, I'm sure we won't match their spirit unfortunately!

Thank god you are not our manager!

What's being the manager got to do with this? What's your point?

Couldn’t do much worse!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Scribble wrote:

Considering it is impossible to give more than 100%, I often wonder how is it that smaller teams are able to raise their game[i] and give everything[/i] when they play bigger clubs?
That suggests they don't give 100% most other weeks. As, hopefully, we'll see with Rochdale on Wednesday.
They can't have given 120% v Tottenham and go back to 100% against us. They clearly gave 100% v Tottenham so hopefully they'll go back to less than that against us.
Same with Wigan. Their fan that I know said they were clearly going through the motions after defeats to Southend and Blackpool in last 2 games, saving themselves for the City game. But they clearly gave 100% tonight.
I know sometimes it's helped by the bigger club not giving 100%, and selecting weakened sides. But Tottenham and City clearly tried hard and both picked strong sides.

110% right mate! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm 

Scribble wrote:
Considering it is impossible to give more than 100%, I often wonder how is it that smaller teams are able to raise their game[i] and give everything[/i] when they play bigger clubs?

Good point, but the big occasion does funny things. You can reach levels that you can’t at other times, like going out for a time-trial run versus running for your life.

So in theory Rochdale could put in 100% against us in a bog-standard league game, but find more against Spurs in the cup at Wembley. Do you call that 120%? Compared to when they play us yes, I suppose you could say it is, but isn’t it actually 100% of a different amount, the higher level attainable on that day?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 am 

You cannot have more than 100%. What do you think this is the X-Factor, you're trying to convince one of the crap judges to give you a chance for more public humiliation in front of the chav audience.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am 

Sausage wrote:
Scribble wrote:

Good point, but the big occasion does funny things. You can reach levels that you can’t at other times, like going out for a time-trial run versus running for your life.

So in theory Rochdale could put in 100% against us in a bog-standard league game, but find more against Spurs in the cup at Wembley. Do you call that 120%? Compared to when they play us yes, I suppose you could say it is, but isn’t it actually 100% of a different amount, the higher level attainable on that day?

I'd add to this that it is not possible to operate constantly at 100%. None of us could do that at work all the time. At certain peaks you reach it. It's the same with sportsmen and women.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Sausage wrote:
Scribble wrote:

I'd add to this that it is not possible to operate constantly at 100%. None of us could do that at work all the time. At certain peaks you reach it. It's the same with sportsmen and women.

That is true.
Athletes are only able to peak in the high nineties for a few short weeks every year, when their big events are held, and hope to get as near 100% as they can for the day of the final.
It is impossible for Footballers to achieve those heights every week for nine months, let alone ever be at the magical 100%, which is a rare event.