THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:04 am 

IT’S THE FINAL MELTDOWN – CRAWLEY TOWN
Once again I am unsure where to even begin, but congratulating Crawley Town seems to be the most appropriate, and of course wishing them well at Wembley in the Playoff Final against Crewe Alex.

They never just beat us, they humiliated us, schooled us, and despite the average age of the teams being similar it looked like men versus boys, the gap was so wide. I described it after the Tuesday night game as a yawning chasm, but that hardly does the gap in class, skill, discipline, and general approach to the game justice…..light years apart….yep….light years.

I think most fans adorned in white that turned up last night felt it was possible, the team news though soon knocked that positivity out of us as we saw Marschall had been given the nod for whatever reason. The rumours were that after the 1st Leg and Kelly going ape out our fans, Williamson had flexed his muscles and showed him who was the boss.

Of course Kelly could have had an injury, but he looked fine in the warm up and showed no signs of discomfort or restricted movement….so you have to think this was all down to MW, but in any case this wasn’t down to our rookie keeper as what was to come was an even bigger horror story than Tuesday.

Ahead of kick off the planned DonsAction display was magnificent, and I cannot praise them highly enough, in terms of this club they are a bright star in a gloomy sky. Most of the 8,500 Dons fans had responded to the #DonYourWhite campaign and everyone else joined in with the clubs #BringTheNoise call to arms….sadly though the players were not on the same page and within three minutes the whole thing crumbled to dust.

People will often say that’s the worst they’ve ever seen us play after a game, I don’t think many will argue after this one, and guess what, last Tuesday comes a close second.

The game just about defies description, and I’m not going to even attempt it, as I can hardly believe what I’ve just seen, and I’m struggling to understand how we played so bloody awful over the two legs.

Of course now anybody remotely worth anything will be sold, those out of contract will go and I don’t think any of us will be sorry about that, and the retained list will be short…but probably not short enough in many people’s eyes.

Being fair though….don’t worry this won’t last long…..to finish in 4th was remarkable, but as I said in my last edition of “The Meltdown” some of this was down to how appalling the standard is at this level, we have taken some right kicking’s this season but still managed to work our way up the table and am I right in saying we conceded more goals this season than we did last after being relegated from League 1.

It’s easy to sit here now and talk about recruitment, but I have questioned it several times before this season, so I feel justified in raising the subject again, so let’s understand how we ended up with an “Emergency” loan keeper as our Number 1 and someone who was probably intended to be our 5th choice striker as our main goal scorer, and I think that pretty much sums up how bad the recruitment and investment has been, is that Sweeting again, or does MW have to shoulder some of that blame, and of course PW not wanting to spend money doesn’t get away with some of the responsibility in all this.

Whilst I am generally against major rebuilds I cannot deny we have to start again, all the keepers have to go, the defence has to go, most of the strikers, in fact I’m struggling to want to keep any more than 4 or 5 and at least one of those could get sold for a “snickers bar”….watch the video.

Of course the “10 Million Dollar” question is, what’s going to happen to MW. There has been interest in him, but he has massive question marks hanging over him now, namely the ability to win the big matches, does he have that big game mentality that is needed to get the team over the line, and to be honest he doesn’t look like he has as he as shown great naivety at times, and when it matters most, that must be a concern to any interested suitors.

Today….If I was PW I would be concerned, even though just 8,500 Dons fans attended the biggest game in our season some would have probably returned next season, but not now. At times this season we have recorded just over 5000 fans, I expect that to drop to just under that mark, and on a Tuesday little over 4000.

For what its worth I think the damage started when we got promoted to the Championship, we never invested in the team to secure our position, and have cut back every year since, and we just continue to spiral down and that must be a concern as sooner or later this “Football Experiment” is not going to be sustainable.

We missed our opportunity back then and through a succession of poor decisions and strategies it’s just got worse and is going to get worse still, and until we draw a line in the sand and invest in the team to get us up and get the crowds in, I can’t see how we are going to get out of this.

Theres not much else to say really, and this is about as low as its ever felt, yes we finished 4th, and it could have been worse, it just doesn’t feel like it right now.

That’s it from me then for another season, I hope you have enjoyed my musings, I’ve always tried to be honest, there’s no malice, nothing personal, I’ve just tried to tell it how it is. If that doesn’t sit well with some of you, well that’s how it is, opinions are subjective, some people think we owe PW the world, I personally do not, that doesn’t make either of us right, but consider this, you could just be part of the problem, as for years fans have just allowed this to continue unchecked.

He has taken us as far as he can, or wants to, it’s time to physically put the club up for sale now, and by that I mean come out and actually say it, I know that is complicated but until it happens I fear more of the same.

The building of a training ground tells you all you need to know about PW and this club….. over 20 years and still nothing, the Egyptians built the pyramids quicker….how is that even possible.

They say we have no history, yet today a new chapter has been written, the biggest defeat over two legs in a playoff, and our run of six attempts in the playoffs continues to top the charts and stretch out it's lead....it gets you right there doesn't it, makes you so proud at what we have achieved

Until next season, enjoy the summer.

Thankfully we will soon be back to the bread and butter of the club….”Take That and party”.

8-)
WD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:16 am 

I can't argue with any of that and thanks for the terrific meltdowns in the season. You seem to put down in prose what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:26 am 

Thanks for these WellDon, after a seasons worth of meltdowns I can probably count on one hand everything I disagree with! I think you do speak for a lot of us here.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:43 am 

The non-football business is going quite well for PW. He now has control of every MK music venue without having to build the training facility. I hope the Council hold him accountable. I agree he has lost the drive to keep going [successfully] on the football side. Definitely lost the ability to navigate the problems. His leadership team are also missing the pulse. They never replaced Andrew Cullen.

I disagree on the Championship point though. IIRC, the January funds were offered but refused by Robbo The Great.

Thanks for taking the time to write, WD. Always insightful, always readable. Have a good Summer off.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:50 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
The non-football business is going quite well for PW. He now has control of every MK music venue without having to build the training facility. I hope the Council hold him accountable. I agree he has lost the drive to keep going [successfully] on the football side. Definitely lost the ability to navigate the problems. His leadership team are also missing the pulse. They never replaced Andrew Cullen.

I disagree on the Championship point though. IIRC, the January funds were offered but refused by Robbo The Great.

Thanks for taking the time to write, WD. Always insightful, always readable. Have a good Summer off.

Well I’d have to argue with you on the point of the funds…..Robbo was offered the money, but the next seasons budget……so Robbo had a choice……take next seasons money and stay up and definitely be screwed the following season trying to stay up…..or take nothing and hoping he would have a budget to keep us up.
This story has often done the rounds…..like everything the devil is in the detail……..so not as you painted it, or indeed how PW painted it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:55 am 

Fair enough. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:06 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
Fair enough. 8-)

Thanks for the comments anyway……..have a good summer.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:14 am 

Thanks WD, I gave up doing VFTOS a few matches ago, it became too depressing but you have carried on regardless. Thankyou.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 am 

Thanks WellDon always a good read and very accurate musings you definitely hit the mark. Will be very disappointed if the first team sheet next season has too many of the existing names on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 12:09 pm 

I've so looked forward to reading this after each game - many thanks.

I would just like to put a question out there - what exactly is the club? Thinking from a sale point of view surely the club is only a league registration, and the assets of the players. Any other part (stadium etc.) are owned by others.