THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: My Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 12:12 am 

After GA got sacked, a general success - success doesn't mean we achieved our aim but in September I really didn't see a playoff push let alone automatics - so our overall season has to be considered about what we expected...

We brought MW in and Max Dean fired goals in - he also made a mess on the keeper, amongst other tactical bollocks, but generally we can see what he wants to do. Has he got things wrong? Fuck yes, but the signs are there. We have to hope he gets it right over a pre season...

We need big changes over the summer - and it's a good time to reset. We showed we can't rely on those we gave a second chance to, but PW and LS aren't to blame here, to me - they backed both managers on what we needed. And I'd imagine we will see them back him again. On field - off field is a different argument, we can have that one for days!!

Look, it's wank, but it is done. Let's immediately go for it and it starts with us! Let's build a positive atmosphere. Let's go again guys! Whether Mike is here or not!!

COYD

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

Post subject: Re: My Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:30 am 

Alby39 wrote:
After GA got sacked, a general success - success doesn't mean we achieved our aim but in September I really didn't see a playoff push let alone automatics - so our overall season has to be considered about what we expected...

We brought MW in and Max Dean fired goals in - he also made a mess on the keeper, amongst other tactical bollocks, but generally we can see what he wants to do. Has he got things wrong? Fuck yes, but the signs are there. We have to hope he gets it right over a pre season...

We need big changes over the summer - and it's a good time to reset. We showed we can't rely on those we gave a second chance to, but PW and LS aren't to blame here, to me - they backed both managers on what we needed. And I'd imagine we will see them back him again. On field - off field is a different argument, we can have that one for days!!

Look, it's wank, but it is done. Let's immediately go for it and it starts with us! Let's build a positive atmosphere. Let's go again guys! Whether Mike is here or not!!

COYD

Agree with your assessment Alby... bound to be some nasty reaction from the fanbase, it really was utter humiliation on National TV in front of an audience that at best see the club as a Pantomime villan.
I want MW to stay and think he will keep moving us in the right direction but the only thing that worries me is that our defence has got worse not better under his coaching. Is that a reflection on the players or him?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:40 am 

JonnyG wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

COYD

Agree with your assessment Alby... bound to be some nasty reaction from the fanbase, it really was utter humiliation on National TV in front of an audience that at best see the club as a Pantomime villan.
I want MW to stay and think he will keep moving us in the right direction but the only thing that worries me is that our defence has got worse not better under his coaching. Is that a reflection on the players or him?

Agree, I think the big thing is Lewis not playing. For seasons now when he is not in the team our defence has struggled.I am not saying he should be playing as he is slower now but his reading of the game and covering for others mistakes let alone what we cannot hear him saying to the rest of the defence team etc.How we replace that in defence will be a key.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:45 am 

TangerineDon wrote:
JonnyG wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

COYD

Agree, I think the big thing is Lewis not playing. For seasons now when he is not in the team our defence has struggled.I am not saying he should be playing as he is slower now but his reading of the game and covering for others mistakes let alone what we cannot hear him saying to the rest of the defence team etc.How we replace that in defence will be a key.

We are definitely missing a leader at the back. O' Hora really didn't want to be here after relegation and imo was going through the motions most of the time. Tucker just doesn't fit our system. We all know we need a complete new back line and keeper. Could be complete and wholesale charge next season. I take it Norman is still under contract?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 am 

Alby39 wrote:

COYD

Agreed on all of this

It's tempting for all of us to catastrophise after a loss but perspective needed

Under GA it looked like a bottom half finish yet we made the play offs.

Let's have a positive mindset for a rebuild over the summer and COYD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:28 am 

My thoughts...

At some point during the game, the third minute probably, it just became hilarious. It went beyond parody. It was genuinely fantastic. For all the wrong reasons.

No idea what it looked like inside the ground, but it looked terrible on the telly. Vast swathes of the stands empty. So the closing of sections worked a treat. Having away supporters in the upper tier has to end. It’s of no tactical benefit to us, as it’s obviously a cost cutting measure. Put all the away fans back in the lower tier from here on in. To be honest it’s a stupid, and quite petty, idea anyway.

The keeper situation. Sorry (I’m not really) but that was baffling. What on earth did Willimson think the fan reaction would be? Did he even care? Kelly isn’t up to much to be honest, but Marschall has to be the worst we’ve ever had. He’s terrible. That should be him done as a professional footballer.

Max Dean. I’ve always said that you’d hate him if he was playing against you, but that petulant stamp last night deserved a straight red.

The various supporters groups have been massively let down in the last couple of years. Two years ago we were on the verge of returning to The Championship. We restarted the podcast back in 2018 because I genuinely thought that the disconnect between the fanbase and club was at it’s lowest. I’d kill for that disconnect after last night. I personally knocked my guts out with that pod, and at my own expense into the bargain, but it became patently obvious towards the end of last season that we were wasting our time. How must Dons Action be feeling this morning? Basically doing what the club should've been doing on their behalf. And like me with the pod actually paying to have to do so. The whole fanbase have been let down across the board. But it is what it is.

Those, like me, who chose not to go last night were roundly castigated for our decision. It was obvious what was going to happen, albeit not even me saw that coming, and I’m not ashamed to say, fuck you to all those on here who battered us last week. You deserved that result. It’s partly on you for continuously backing the club no matter how many shit decisions it continues to make.

I’ll continue to go because I’m just too lazy to be bothered to cancel my standing order. I’ve had a season ticket since 2005. I was talking to someone on Friday about football, and I said that I go because it’s just something that I do. It’s part of my life now. Go to the stadium every other Saturday. Perhaps that’ll change as I get older and retirement on the horizon, and to be honest with the new Sky deal I won’t have to stand at The Cowshed Bar trying to explain to some stupid kid how you should pour a pint, as I’ll be able to watch from the comfort of my sofa with as many pints as I can cram in.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:34 am 

Unfortunately big changes doesn't always bring big success. Just look at Liam Manning's second season and we're still recovering from it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:35 am 

Gers wrote:
My thoughts...

At some point during the game, the third minute probably, it just became hilarious. It went beyond parody. It was genuinely fantastic. For all the wrong reasons.

No idea what it looked like inside the ground, but it looked terrible on the telly. Vast swathes of the stands empty. So the closing of sections worked a treat. Having away supporters in the upper tier has to end. It’s of no tactical benefit to us, as it’s obviously a cost cutting measure. Put all the away fans back in the lower tier from here on in. To be honest it’s a stupid, and quite petty, idea anyway.

Until the football started it felt quite cool in the stadium with the flags and all the white....we watched some of the game on telly too and for the TV arc 'in play' it also looked great ......I don't think closing CR should be permanent but I may be sold on the corners closing

Keeping away fans away from our keeper at that end must have some effect ....I'm all.for keeping them in the second tier in the corner to be honest....disadvantage the oppo team as much as possible ....it's what other teams do

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:48 am 

Fuck off with the closing the corners chat. I’ll genuinely not step in the stadium again if that happened.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:50 am 

BetterCallSaul wrote:
Fuck off with the closing the corners chat. I’ll genuinely not step in the stadium again if that happened.

What is the view like from there? Can't see what the attraction is (genuinely)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next