THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FA Cup Replays Scrapped
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 am 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68844583

Scrapped from the first round onwards as of next season. So a slimmer chance of small clubs getting more money/TV exposure. All rounds will take place on a weekend so no midweek 5th round and the 4th 5th and quarters will not clash with Premier League fixtures.

For me replays are what is good about the FA Cup. A minnow holding a big club at their place should be rewarded with another tie at the bigger clubs ground with the potential TV money/gate receipts that comes with it not a penalty shoot out. Mind you it will probably force the bigger clubs to put out stronger squads as they only get one crack at the tie.

What does everyone think of this? I know the impact is quite minimal, but I think a replay is not a bad thing tbh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 am 

Klopp finally gets his way, just as he's leaving...

I think it's a shit decision that is made to solely benefit the bigger teams. They play their kids in replays anyway so no idea what the problem is. I think scrap replays if the teams are in the same league, but if they're different it goes to replay, that's what I would do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:06 am 

Every day my hatred for the Premier League becomes stronger and stronger.

This is a total joke of a decision that does away with what the FA Cup was about. No more can a team draw a game at home with a once in a life time opportunity of playing at Anfield, Old Trafford etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 am 

I oppose the change. Replays were good, actually, and the fairytale of scraping out a draw at home to get a £££ replay at a 60,000 seater are now gone. This is bad for lower league teams - sometimes those gate receipts were very meaningful. A new signing, a tax debt paid off here and there.

Bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 am 

I just want to know why the opinion of 6 foreign owned teams are being taken over the other 100+ in the EFL and below.

Surely the FA Cup also loses out here as there are less games. Why would they agree to it? The sooner that prick Klopp is out of this country, the better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 am 

To be fair it's not just Klopp and I wouldn't blame any Big 6 team for trying to defend their own interests. But the decision makers should have simply disregarded Klopp and the like - that's who we should be mad at.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:59 am 

"I don't see a problem. The Premier League is the best League in the World. Anything that helps our top League grow should hardly be a bad thing"

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
To be fair it's not just Klopp and I wouldn't blame any Big 6 team for trying to defend their own interests. But the decision makers should have simply disregarded Klopp and the like - that's who we should be mad at.

It's the part about increased UEFA competitions. They are paying two more Champions League games (8 league matches over 6) and if you finish in the top 8 you don't have a play off round match you go immediately to the 2nd round, much like the Europa League is now.

Shit rolls downwards. Cause UEFA waved their cheesy member and changed the Champions League the Premier League do the same to the FA Cup, what I don't get is why it was scrapped from the first round. The big dogs obviously don't enter until round three so why not scrap them from then? Or just tell them to suck it up. Or if it pisses you off that much, don't enter.

To me I understand there is only so much time they can fit in fixtures and by the looks of it there will be two CL group games in January where the third and fourth rounds would be. Never mind can't close the barn door after the horse has bolted. Let's just hope there are away draws against these big clubs otherwise that is a big hit financially.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

It's the part about increased UEFA competitions. They are paying two more Champions League games (8 league matches over 6) and if you finish in the top 8 you don't have a play off round match you go immediately to the 2nd round, much like the Europa League is now.

Shit rolls downwards. Cause UEFA waved their cheesy member and changed the Champions League the Premier League do the same to the FA Cup, what I don't get is why it was scrapped from the first round. The big dogs obviously don't enter until round three so why not scrap them from then? Or just tell them to suck it up. Or if it pisses you off that much, don't enter.

To me I understand there is only so much time they can fit in fixtures and by the looks of it there will be two CL group games in January where the third and fourth rounds would be. Never mind can't close the barn door after the horse has bolted. Let's just hope there are away draws against these big clubs otherwise that is a big hit financially.

So in other words, fuck everyone else, we just want to play more European games and travel the world.

We need a regulator in ASAP.

I was MASSIVELY against the Super League, but now I'd be in favour of getting these clubs out of English football. United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal can go rot as European teams for all I care. Let the pyramid thrive without them, rather than allowing them to keep damaging it. At this point, the majority of their fans are based in Africa, Asia and the US anyway. There is nothing English about them, from owners, to players to "fans".

Edit - Realised that sounds horrifically like Brexit, which for the record I am against. But yeah, get them gone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:00 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

So in other words, fuck everyone else, we just want to play more European games and travel the world.

We need a regulator in ASAP.

I was MASSIVELY against the Super League, but now I'd be in favour of getting these clubs out of English football. United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal can go rot as European teams for all I care. Let the pyramid thrive without them, rather than allowing them to keep damaging it. At this point, the majority of their fans are based in Africa, Asia and the US anyway. There is nothing English about them, from owners, to players to "fans".

Edit - Realised that sounds horrifically like Brexit, which for the record I am against. But yeah, get them gone.

That is about the size of it yep. I was never against the Super League. The only people who were deeply offended were my armchair fan friends who support United, Liverpool and Arsenal probably cause they would have to get up in the middle of the night to watch their clubs in the States. I don't care about the Premier League. I only watch it at the in laws house (which is why I am not bothered about the new Sky deal for EFL). As it goes it looks like Citeh will with their 4th Premier League in a row even the "best league in the world" is become stale as month old bread. The Premier League is a brand and will do anything to protect said brand and screw the integrity of the rest of football. The funny thing is the Premier League was created cause the EFL didn't give them enough money (United, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and Arsenal were the main instigators of the move) they thought fuck it we will strike out on our own. There is never any honour amongst thieves and this is exactly why they have done what they have done.