THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sinéad O'Connor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:06 pm 

It's being reported that Sinéad O'Connor has died. That's a massive pain in the arse if true.

Post subject: Re: Sinéad O'Connor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:08 pm 

Gers wrote:
It's being reported that Sinéad O'Connor has died. That's a massive pain in the arse if true.

Sadly it’s true

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... s-aged-56/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:10 pm 

Scribble wrote:
Gers wrote:

Sadly it’s true

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... s-aged-56/

Fuck. That's really shit news to come home to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:18 pm 

Very very sad news to hear this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:19 pm 
Converted to Islam. Went under the moniker of Shuhada Sadaqat. Tore up a pic of the Pope on stage.

Sad news indeed, but… :?:

‘Nothing compares to Lan Yu…’

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:27 pm 

Very sad. If I remember right, her son died a year or two ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:31 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:

He committed suicide earlier this year I think. You're never going to get over that.

We saw her at the Albert Hall years ago. Before my son was born, so over 30 years ago. She was brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:34 pm 
Lieutenant Dan wrote:

Hung himself last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:01 am 

Last summer, or perhaps the summer before, I was driving home listening to random music on my phone when a beautiful little acoustic guitar pattern started playing. This is good I thought, what is it? Turns out it was The Last Day of Our Acquaintance from her album I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got. This is her best song, and of course being her, it’s about divorcing her first husband.

It’s a great album. I’d be lying if I were to say that it’s one I’ve been constantly listening to, but it certainly featured quite heavily last summer. For folk of a certain vintage, and with impeccable musical taste, like me, it features Jah Wobble, Marco Pirroni, Andy Rourke, and was produced by Nellee Hooper. When you consider that it’s a piece of work that features songs like the aforementioned Last Day, I Am Stretched On Your Grave, the wonderful Emperor’s New Clothes, and of course Nothing Compares 2 U, that’s some legacy right there.

She’s was an artist I actually did listen to throughout her career. Listen to 4th And Vine, an EP that she released about 10 years ago. Or her wonderful backing vocals on the totally sublime GMF by the equally sublime John Grant. Both out of this world.

Obviously she was, to use a term that I abhor, troubled. I suppose when you look at her appalling upbringing at the hands of her mother, it’s little wonder. She was one of the first to call the Catholic church out on it’s cover up of sexual abuse. Tearing up a picture of the pope on US telly killed her stateside. She never recovered from it. The greatest thing she did, and it’s totally hilarious, was to attend a protest about her by a load of religious nutters. She went in disguise. Long black wig, sunglasses, the whole nine yards. That’s brilliant.

It’s also worth mentioning how beautiful she was. Those eyes! An astonishingly attractive woman. Of course there’s been the usual wankers taking the piss out of her on social media. But that says more about them than it does about a woman struggling with her demons. It’s a genuine tragedy this. Heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:53 am 

Terrible news.