THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:03 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
What are your all-time favourite albums?
Share them here!

You know, the albums that if you could only take a dozen or so with you onto a desert island, that you never get tired of listening to.
One album per day limit, and share them with a YouTube link to your favourite track on the album, so that we can enjoy them too.

I'll get things going with one of mine, starting with the oldest one that makes the cut.
If I could only keep one album, it's probably the one I'd keep.

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd (1975)

Shine on you Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54W8kktFE_o

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:33 pm 

SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
What are your all-time favourite albums?
Share them here!

You know, the albums that if you could only take a dozen or so with you onto a desert island, that you never get tired of listening to.
One album per day limit, and share them with a YouTube link to your favourite track on the album, so that we can enjoy them too.

I'll get things going with one of mine, starting with the oldest one that makes the cut.
If I could only keep one album, it's probably the one I'd keep.

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd (1975)

Shine on you Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54W8kktFE_o

Yes I remember it from when I was young ;)
My dad bought it for me for Christmas. I had no idea what the f- it was for 2 reasons...
1 It was sealed vinyl and that weird logo didn't register at all with me (Why TF I didn't look at the 'side' I don't know)
2 He liked 'big band' stuff (well that was what was 'in' during the war I understood) and had never every demonstrated any interest (not in a nasty way or even bemused way) in what I was listening to. So how on earth did he know what it was like? Most favoured bands for me then were ELP and TRex. I had the Floyd posters on the wall from DSOTM (Pyramids etc) but hardly 'played that album continuously'.
This is really one of the mysteries of my life which is still very 'deep' in my head. I should have asked him.
Sorry. Didn't meant to get 'heavy' and no...I'm not...it's only 7.30.
WTF its a great album.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:19 pm 

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7197

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:40 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
keyser soze wrote:
And very enjoyable it was too. :D
This new thread has significantly different criteria with no restriction on one album per decade etc. etc. compared with your thread from a year ago, hence I think it's worth having a new one this year. :)
Or don't you have more than 7 favourite albums you'd want to take onto your desert island with you? :o

Anyway, here's my next one, also from the 70s:

Out of the Blue by ELO (1977)
A double-album full of superbly written, arranged, performed & produced songs.

Big Wheels
Give it at least 3 or 4 minutes to let it build...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88NonA3UI94

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:33 am 

An eclectic one - maybe not great per se, but great to me, for personal reasons:

John Otway & Wild Willy Barrett - John Otway & Wild Willy Barrett (1976 - reissued in 77).

Folk, pub rock and proto-punk filtered through the semi-rural ambience of a pleasant Buckinghamshire market town. "Really Free" is the Hit, "Cheryl's Going Home" is the chest-beating Cover, "Racing Cars (Jet Spotter of the Track)" is the Power Pop track, but "Bluey Green" is what I'm going with, a gentle folksy song, which is more like the bulk of the LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yckxs9mPZCQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:25 pm 

Sound-on-Sound by Bill Nelson's Red Noise (1979)
Bill Nelson is one of the greatest guitarists in the world imho, and this was his first album after disbanding Be-Bop Deluxe, combining post-punk & new wave with dystopian fantasies.
It still sounds like the future to me.

Art/Empire/Industry
"Workers of the future,
You know what it is to sing: Art/Empire/Industry..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujz6NlB4JaE

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:36 pm 
Marillion - AHIBD (An Hour Before It’s Dark)
Now I know a lot of people on here will instantly knock me for posting a Marillion album, but bear with me please.

Not many bands reach their twentieth release but fewer do it in the rude health that Marillion find themselves after the success of their 2016 album Fuck Everyone And Run, which not only cemented this outfit’s reputation for uncompromising music and lyrical subject matter, it also brought Marillion right back into the public’s consciousness. For those who have followed them right across their intriguing musical journey, what was more surprising about FEAR was how it achieved all of the above while still being a quintessential Marillion album full of sweet melodies, challenging but engaging musical interplay and the utterly spellbinding vocals from Steve ‘h’ Hogarth. Thankfully An Hour Before It’s Dark picks up from exactly where its predecessor left off, as lead single from the album “Be Hard On Yourself” builds a head of steam that leaves you in no doubt as to this album’s intentions. Deep, involved, beautiful, intricate, yet still catchy and memorable, it’s a quite a breathtaking way to kick things off.

“Reprogram The Gene” carries one of those spiralling inner-cores that this band construct so well, the keys from Mark Kelly swirling round your head as h’s vocals swoop and soar as he asks “is there a cure for us…?”, but here Steve Rothery is not to be outdone, his guitar work woven keenly across this tapestry of delights as the mood builds and recedes only to build again - the piano in places taking us back to the Afraid Of Sunlight single “Beautiful” in places, and if any, it’s actually that album that I’m most often reminded of as AHBID is revealed. From there the odd, but lovable thirty-nine second interlude “Only A Kiss” leads neatly as though the incidental music in an Agatha Christie ‘whodunnit?’ into “Murder Machines”, which it has to be said is possibly this release’s most dark, enigmatic shimmer, but then it’s also one of the most immediately sing-alongable.
Destined to be a future live classic, “The Crow And The Nightingale” uses the long tried and tested Marillion trait of starting small and contained and building into something much more expansive but it’s actually the closing pairing of “Sierra Leone” and “Care”, which between them clock in at over thirty minutes, that prove the focal points of this album. The former moves through many passages to get an impassioned message across as bassist Pete Trewavas and drummer Ian Mosley combine an innate subtlety with the ability to drive things on. However, it’s the latter track and its clear message for our times that angels are right here on Earth that truly and completely grabs the imagination.

I’ve been lucky enough to live with An Hour Before It’s Dark for a few good weeks now and I must admit that it has taken numerous plays to truly reveal its inner beauty. If I was going to be super-critical (and, well, that’s what I’m here for), it is possibly the one Marillion album of recent years where I keep feeling like I’m hearing snatches of Marillion songs of days gone by as these new tracks play out (there’s even a cymbal crescendo and vocal interruption that takes us right back to Clutching At Straws territory…), but it really is a minor niggle. And even with that in mind, this really is another quite remarkable release from a truly remarkable band.

Give it a go.

Here’s ‘Care’ for you, written for the NHS nurses struggling with the COVID-19 cases…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7Dl7TTrOQ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:52 am 

Witness - Before The Calm

I very much doubt that apart from me, the only folk who bought this were either the parents or members of Witness. They are so obscure that this is the only clip I could find of them. He's a great singer, and this song contains one of my favourite lines... "Visions come in like a train, they're passing"

The best track...

Hijacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOdkzHQl8k

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:14 am 

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

Here we go. This one is seriously one of the best of all time. It came out in 1998. I loved it then and I love it still.

Where to start though? I may as well just quote Wiki:

"In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is the second studio album by American rock band Neutral Milk Hotel, released on February 10, 1998, by Merge Records. The music is predominantly indie rock and psychedelic folk, and is characterized by an intentionally low-quality sound. Traditional rock instruments like the guitar and drums are paired with less conventional instruments such as a singing saw, uilleann pipes, and "zanzithophone" (Casio digital horn). The lyrics are surrealistic and opaque, with themes ranging from nostalgia to love, and were partially inspired by The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank."

It isn't really suitable for separating into tracks as it's such complete "whole". But to give you a flavour, here's one at random:

Holland, 1945
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eNK38nmzw4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:18 am 

Gers wrote:
Witness - Before The Calm

I very much doubt that apart from me, the only folk who bought this were either the parents or members of Witness. They are so obscure that this is the only clip I could find of them. He's a great singer, and this song contains one of my favourite lines... "Visions come in like a train, they're passing"

The best track...

Hijacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOdkzHQl8k

Never heard of them, obviously. But that track is excellent.

Great comments on youtube too. This one captures exactly what music can mean to you:
"Before the calm is the album of my life. The soundtrack to my aching heart in the late nineties. No music can ever be more beautiful for me. The time, the place. It’s gone. And can never be recaptured."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next