THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:41 am 

SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
Gers wrote:
Rocket To Russia - The Ramones
Gers wrote:
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
Gers wrote:
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
Great choices - great albums.

Thank you. I'm really enjoying this thread. I'm re-listening to the albums as I post. Great experience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:05 pm 

T-Rex. Tanx.
I think this was Bolan's last 'great record'.

Looking at some reviews just now as I put it on it gets a sort of thumbs up but is full of comments about throwing away a winning formula/the sound being too full etc.

Personally, I always liked it; certainly in contrast to Zip Gun - and Zinc Alloy which I thought was horrid.

That tribute at The Stables a week or so ago was great BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:29 am 

Stoned & Dethroned - The Jesus And Mary Chain

Originally conceived as an album of duets, only two additional vocalists made the final cut. Mazzy Star’s Hope Sandoval, and Shane MacGowan. It’s a great record this, and is by far their most accessible by miles. Gone is the feedback, in comes the acoustic guitar and we just get a collection of fantastic songs. Jim Reid is a good singer, and his East Kilbride come mid-atlantic drawl fits the material perfectly.

The lead single, which is also my choice for best track, has some sublime drumming that no matter how many times I've listened to it still gets me.

Best track - Sometimes Always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9-Y8HE5h8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:46 am 

London Calling - The Clash

Man alive… What a record.

I was a Clash obsessive when I was young, back in 78/79. Even dressed like them, had a trilby and a trench coat. Bet I looked like a right twat. It’s a strange thought however that no matter how many bands I’ve been in, I’ve never been in a Clash ripoff. I guess you can’t copy genius. Which is what this is.

Pick a genre and I’ll bet it’s represented on London Calling. Reggae, check. Rock n roll, check. Jazz, check. Ska, check. They fully accepted their influences, and gave them free rein. They also never looked better as a collective as they did during this period of their existence, and it contains my favourite Clash song…

Best track, Rudie Can’t Fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_F3uuHMpE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:26 am 

Gers wrote:
London Calling - The Clash

Man alive… What a record.

I was a Clash obsessive when I was young, back in 78/79. Even dressed like them, had a trilby and a trench coat. Bet I looked like a right twat. It’s a strange thought however that no matter how many bands I’ve been in, I’ve never been in a Clash ripoff. I guess you can’t copy genius. Which is what this is.

Pick a genre and I’ll bet it’s represented on London Calling. Reggae, check. Rock n roll, check. Jazz, check. Ska, check. They fully accepted their influences, and gave them free rein. They also never looked better as a collective as they did during this period of their existence, and it contains my favourite Clash song…

Best track, Rudie Can’t Fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_F3uuHMpE

Yep, brilliant album. So is Give Em Enough Rope.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:20 pm 

Yup.
Years ago I posted the link to the NY Palladium gig on the night 'that pic'; the cover of London Calling was taken. I have a LCalling CD signed by the whole band although JS is in a different sharpie so it must have been at one of the Mescaleros' gigs.

I think the post got lost in 'The Great Fire'. Tracks from both of those albums and others are delivered at terrific speed. Fastest (and IMHO best) version of LC I've ever heard. Likewise 'Wrong 'em Boyo'. The thing starts with Safe European Home, Tommy Gun is on there. Koka kola. Et bl**dy cetera. Brilliant and excellent quality sound. (Sound not video).
Here it is again. You won't be disappointed - although your nearest and dearest will probably tell you to 'turn that down' as it can't be listened to quietly. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MilRxOFTHZA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:03 pm 

I have a signed poster that came with Combat Rock. No Topper unfortunately, it was Terry Chimes on drums that night. Chimes now works as a chiropractor in a clinic in Northampton that a friend of mine also works.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:41 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Yup.
Years ago I posted the link to the NY Palladium gig on the night 'that pic'; the cover of London Calling was taken. I have a LCalling CD signed by the whole band although JS is in a different sharpie so it must have been at one of the Mescaleros' gigs.

I think the post got lost in 'The Great Fire'. Tracks from both of those albums and others are delivered at terrific speed. Fastest (and IMHO best) version of LC I've ever heard. Likewise 'Wrong 'em Boyo'. The thing starts with Safe European Home, Tommy Gun is on there. Koka kola. Et bl**dy cetera. Brilliant and excellent quality sound. (Sound not video).
Here it is again. You won't be disappointed - although your nearest and dearest will probably tell you to 'turn that down' as it can't be listened to quietly. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MilRxOFTHZA

Yep - brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:49 pm 

I own London Calling (obvs). It's good but I think it's over-rated. The first album is far better in my view. I also think The Clash were shit at playing reggae.

You can show me the door now. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:13 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
I own London Calling (obvs). It's good but I think it's over-rated. The first album is far better in my view. I also think The Clash were shit at playing reggae.

You can show me the door now. :)

Get out...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next