THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:57 pm 

Gers wrote:
SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
New Gold Dream (81–82–83–84) by Simple Minds (1982)
#3 UK album

Their zenith as a band, never to be reached again.
A brilliant track from a brilliant album: Someone Somewhere in Summertime

"Brilliant days, wake up on brilliant days,
Shadows of brilliant ways, will change all the time..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkfkT_u7n9I

Glittering Prize randomly came on my phone at the weekend by coincidence. It's a brilliant song, I think it's their best. It's a great album, one which I bought on the day it came out, and like you say, they never came close to those heights again. Both me and The Current Mrs Gers love their earlier stuff, The American, Love Song, I Travel, that sort of thing, but it's this album that is the gold standard, pun intended.

Well I'm hardly one to complain.
Yes. Superb album. I really liked the live one that followed it. Certainly NGD and 'prize' were on it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:12 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
The Golden Age of Wireless by Thomas Dolby (1982)

Overflowing with great songs, written, composed & performed with exceptional flair & wit, this classic album stands the test of time.

Favourite track: Commercial Breakup
"But in thirty seconds it's so clear,
And I adhere - I'm only humanoid..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9lg4F9Zgg

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:53 pm 

Bowie. Stage - 2017 version
Remastered/slightly different songs and tracks in original order at gigs.
If you like Bowie and haven't got this it's worth shelling out for/asking for as a present.
I used to listen to the original album obsessively all those years ago......I particularly like the Station To Station material.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:37 am 

Graceland - Paul Simon

Just a collection of wonderful songs played by a collection of wonderful musicians at the top of their game.

I was having a discussion on a podcast recently about lyrics, where I said that I don't really listen to them. What I meant was that I only listen if they really stand out. Fuck me but are there some outstanding lyrics on this. Take the title track alone for example…
"The Mississippi Delta was shining like a national guitar"
or… "My travelling companion is nine years old, he's the child of my first marriage"
or better still… "There is a girl in New York City who calls herself the human trampoline".
I absolutely love that last lyric. It's fantastic, and you know exactly what he's on about.

There was a load of nonsense surrounding this when it came out. Jerry Dammers actually picketed Simon's gigs due to some of the recording being done in then apartheid South Africa. He, Dammers, somewhat missed the point (Linda Ronstadt excepted obviously) as the sheer amount of African musicians on this is mind numbing. When he plays this album live, the band are still the guys that played on it in the studio. That's testament to Simon right there.

It's quite simply a great record, and is yet another that transports me back to my flat on the West Coast of Scotland in the mid-eighties. Everyone should listen to it. Do it now.

Best track, Graceland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP6a-7MP91g

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:19 pm 

Machine Gun Etiquette.
FFS..... Just go listen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:10 pm 

Gers wrote:
Graceland - Paul Simon

Just a collection of wonderful songs played by a collection of wonderful musicians at the top of their game.

I was having a discussion on a podcast recently about lyrics, where I said that I don't really listen to them. What I meant was that I only listen if they really stand out. Fuck me but are there some outstanding lyrics on this. Take the title track alone for example…
"The Mississippi Delta was shining like a national guitar"
or… "My travelling companion is nine years old, he's the child of my first marriage"
or better still… "There is a girl in New York City who calls herself the human trampoline".
I absolutely love that last lyric. It's fantastic, and you know exactly what he's on about.

There was a load of nonsense surrounding this when it came out. Jerry Dammers actually picketed Simon's gigs due to some of the recording being done in then apartheid South Africa. He, Dammers, somewhat missed the point (Linda Ronstadt excepted obviously) as the sheer amount of African musicians on this is mind numbing. When he plays this album live, the band are still the guys that played on it in the studio. That's testament to Simon right there.

It's quite simply a great record, and is yet another that transports me back to my flat on the West Coast of Scotland in the mid-eighties. Everyone should listen to it. Do it now.

Best track, Graceland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP6a-7MP91g

Good call - absolutely essential listening, like nothing I'd heard before

Mrs OFD had a cassette which got played constantly in her car when we first got together back then - hard to pick a fave but I'd suggest The Boy in the Bubble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5T6s25XK4 (great video as well!) or Diamonds on the Soles of He Shoes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I_T3XvzPaM

Great music, happy days

:D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:03 pm 

Dead Kennedys. A Child And His Lawnmower.
It just to me encapsulates the insane thought pattern of typical Trump supporters and similar people over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frgENbP ... rt_radio=1

Some clown in
Sacramento was dragged into court
He shot his lawnmower
It disobeyed, it wouldn't start
Might makes right, it's the American Way
They fined him $60 and sent him on his way
You know, some people don't take no shit
Maybe if they did if they'd have half a brain left
You know, some people don't take no shit
Maybe if they did if they'd have half a brain left

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:42 am 

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

I was 14 when this was released, and in total thrall to The Pistols. If someone would have told me back then that 46 years later I’d be listening to this album on a regular basis, I’d have said that there’s no way I’m going down the same road as my older sister. She was a massive T Rex fan, but as she got older, and married, out went the glitter and feather boas, and in came quite frankly a boring lifestyle that she’s maintained to this very here day. So safe to say that the 14yr old me wouldn’t have been caught dead listening to this. The 14yr old me was an idiot.

When most couples break up, they go their own way (pun intended), and quietly loathe one another in their own little world. Most couples however aren’t members of Fleetwood Mac. Imagine if your wife had just left you, and the first thing she did was to write a song about her new lover entitled ‘You Make Loving Fun’, how would that make you feel? Or if you’d asked your long term partner to marry you and she declined. Would you have written a lyric that included the line ‘Shacking up is all you want to do’? How about after you’d split up from the aforementioned partner, you hook up with someone else and you write a song called ‘Never Going Back Again’.

It’s a fantastic album. A genuine classic. The playing on it is extraordinary, especially the drumming. Listen to ‘Go Your Own Way’, the drumming is out of this world. Mick Fleetwood is a brilliant player, and he’s never bettered this. Likewise the guitar of Lindsey Buckingham, devilishly handsome, a great musician and an outstanding songwriter, bastard that he is.

The songwriting is shared between Buckingham, the late Christine McVie, and Stevie Nicks, and to their credit, all the musicians involved play out of their skins irrespective of whether they wrote the song, or if the song is slagging them off.

It’s an outstanding album. Just don’t tell the 14 year old Gers.

Best track - Never Going Back Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i3ZfrVY9iU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:31 pm 

Gers wrote:
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

I was 14 when this was released, and in total thrall to The Pistols. If someone would have told me back then that 46 years later I’d be listening to this album on a regular basis, I’d have said that there’s no way I’m going down the same road as my older sister. She was a massive T Rex fan, but as she got older, and married, out went the glitter and feather boas, and in came quite frankly a boring lifestyle that she’s maintained to this very here day. So safe to say that the 14yr old me wouldn’t have been caught dead listening to this. The 14yr old me was an idiot.

When most couples break up, they go their own way (pun intended), and quietly loathe one another in their own little world. Most couples however aren’t members of Fleetwood Mac. Imagine if your wife had just left you, and the first thing she did was to write a song about her new lover entitled ‘You Make Loving Fun’, how would that make you feel? Or if you’d asked your long term partner to marry you and she declined. Would you have written a lyric that included the line ‘Shacking up is all you want to do’? How about after you’d split up from the aforementioned partner, you hook up with someone else and you write a song called ‘Never Going Back Again’.

It’s a fantastic album. A genuine classic. The playing on it is extraordinary, especially the drumming. Listen to ‘Go Your Own Way’, the drumming is out of this world. Mick Fleetwood is a brilliant player, and he’s never bettered this. Likewise the guitar of Lindsey Buckingham, devilishly handsome, a great musician and an outstanding songwriter, bastard that he is.

The songwriting is shared between Buckingham, the late Christine McVie, and Stevie Nicks, and to their credit, all the musicians involved play out of their skins irrespective of whether they wrote the song, or if the song is slagging them off.

It’s an outstanding album. Just don’t tell the 14 year old Gers.

Best track - Never Going Back Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i3ZfrVY9iU

I'll not disagree.
It really is very good.
Very 'deep easy listening'?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12