All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: NME
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am 

dons50 wrote:
I use the best, I use the rest....

We see what you did there...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:35 am 

I guess it's death is linked to the complete turnaround in the music biz economics. In the old days, profits came from selling records (and tapes) and gigs were loss leaders, used to advertise the latest album. Now it's totally reversed - music is essentially free (unless you 'just have to have' the CD or the trendy vinyl) and they build demand for gigs, which are all eye-wateringly expensive. So much so that it's allowed legalised touts such as Via-go-go to control the market and add extortionate 'fees' on top of already expensive ticket prices.

My first 'proper' gig was Thin Lizzy at Wembley Arena, 1978. Me and some mates at college saw the tour advertised in the back of the NME, sent off a cheque (or postal order maybe!), tickets arrived and a good time was had by all. Nowadays you'd have to spend hours on a website, trying to get tickets, knowing that many off them have gone directly to re-sellers. When I sweep to power on a wave of popular support, I will destroy all reseller companies and I'll make their executives shovel shit for a living.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am 

Guy I work for bought five ticket for Stereophonics via a secondary ticket agency. They didn't arrive in time, so they couldn't go.

Some would say that he had a lucky escape ;)

Cost over £500, which he can't get back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 am 

Gers wrote:
Guy I work for bought five ticket for Stereophonics via a secondary ticket agency. They didn't arrive in time, so they couldn't go.

:o

As I say, when I sweep to power, on a wave of popular support...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:00 am 

It was stretching it a bit including the word 'musical' in it's title, I always thought.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 pm 

Gers wrote:

Did he pay by credit card, if so he may be able to through the cc company

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:05 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
I guess it's death is linked to the complete turnaround in the music biz economics. In the old days, profits came from selling records (and tapes) and gigs were loss leaders, used to advertise the latest album. Now it's totally reversed - music is essentially free (unless you 'just have to have' the CD or the trendy vinyl) and they build demand for gigs, which are all eye-wateringly expensive. So much so that it's allowed legalised touts such as Via-go-go to control the market and add extortionate 'fees' on top of already expensive ticket prices.

My first 'proper' gig was Thin Lizzy at Wembley Arena, 1978. Me and some mates at college saw the tour advertised in the back of the NME, sent off a cheque (or postal order maybe!), tickets arrived and a good time was had by all. Nowadays you'd have to spend hours on a website, trying to get tickets, knowing that many off them have gone directly to re-sellers. When I sweep to power on a wave of popular support, I will destroy all reseller companies and I'll make their executives shovel shit for a living.

Yup. I remember doing the same for my Zappa tickets at the Hammersmith Odeon. First proper gig I saw.
Send a cheque....?! :shock: :roll: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Yup. I remember doing the same for my Zappa tickets at the Hammersmith Odeon. First proper gig I saw.
Send a cheque....?! :shock: :roll: :ugeek:

We used to get a free Whats On weekly magazine in Birmingham which had all of the listing at the Birmingham Odeon, which itself had a big board with all of the forthcoming concerts, and ticket prices. Things didn't seem to sell out in an instant in those days, and you could drop in and browse the boards and decide which gigs you fancied and take your pick

Happy days

:D