THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:29 am 

She Hangs Brightly - Mazzy Star

Debut album from Santa Monica’s Mazzy Star. Formed out of the ashes of the loathsome Paisley Underground scene, Mazzy Star were a band that somewhat defied description. A close relationship with The Mary Chain, indeed singer Hope Sandoval and JAMC’s William Reid were in a relationship for years, this album is a more easy listen than Psychocandy.

As I’ve already mentioned in this thread, we saw them in Islington. What a weird evening that was. We rocked up, went to get a drink, and sitting there was a Val Kilmer lookalike. Next week in the NME was a story that, and here I quote, ‘Spotted at Mazzy Star, crap Batman Val Kilmer’. So I can at least say that I’ve been in the presence of a Hollywood A-lister, however unknowingly. The gig was full of indie royalty, the aforementioned William Reid, one of The Chemical Brothers, and many, many others. We were standing upstairs when Bobby Gillespie walked past, looked at me, asked me if I was “alright”. No idea if he remembered me, doubt it, or if he thought I was someone else. Whatever, everyone then looked at me, and wondered who I was.

Anyway, the album…

Best track, Ride It On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQUGNTIHOhc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:32 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 2019/20
Black Cherry by Goldfrapp (2003)

I've lost count of how many times I've played & enjoyed this album from start to finish, with its perfect mix of retro-electro dance & chill-out lushness - it's still wonderful, 20 years on.

Black Cherry - the title track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO-m3D55lY8

PW: 'Every year we’re in League 1 is a year too long...'
It's Pete's train set and you should all feel honoured to be granted the privilege of paying to watch him play with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:14 am 

SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
Black Cherry by Goldfrapp (2003)

I've lost count of how many times I've played & enjoyed this album from start to finish, with its perfect mix of retro-electro dance & chill-out lushness - it's still wonderful, 20 years on.

Black Cherry - the title track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO-m3D55lY8

I love this album. Indeed I love all their stuff. Good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:27 am 

Power, Corruption & Lies - New Order

I can remember the day I bought this as if it were yesterday. It was a beautiful day, and after we’d bought it (my friend and bandmate Willie also bought a copy) we went to the beach. Sat there amid the Glasgow overspill, we must’ve stood out like a sore thumb.
It has the greatest opening of any album ever recorded. When you hear Hooky’s bass it’s just a phenomenal riff. Obviously he’s an outstanding player, but he’s never bettered this.
I still have that copy. In fact it’s currently less than a foot away from me right now. It’s a great record, and obviously because it’s on Factory, and being the arty-farty contrarians that they were, Blue Monday isn’t on it. But it’s none the poorer for that.
I love Factory Records. I love Joy Division. I love New Order, and I absolutely love this album.

Best track, Age Of Consent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6ZafVG5qM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:23 am 

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground

The old joke about this still rings true. Only 50 people bought it when it came out, but those 50 went on to form bands. In turn 50 people who bought those 50 band’s albums went on to form bands, and so on. Without a doubt this is the most influential album ever released. If it weren’t for The Velvets we wouldn’t have had Ziggy Stardust. No Roxy Music. No Mott The Hoople. The mid-eighties Glasgow scene was basically everyone trying to recreate this album. The Mary Chain were basically a Velvets tribute act. Everyone I knew had a copy of this, and they were in bands… see my opening.

I’ve lived with this for so long that I can no longer be objective. I could pick any track as they’re all brilliant. Therefore I’m just going to pick one at random.

Best track, Run Run Run (and every other track)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ufOljsFZQ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:26 am 

Marquee Moon - Television

In light of the awful news last night, I give you yet another album that’s influence can’t be overstated.

Released at the height of Punk, Television, being from New York, were always a tad cleverer than Sham 69 that’s for sure. Stalwarts of the CBGB’s scene that spawned the likes of Talking Heads, Ramones, Blondie and a host of others, they never quite had the commercial success of those, but as an influence on other musicians that followed in their wake they were unparalleled. It’s a great album that’s for sure, and is another that I find it difficult to be objective about as I’ve lived with it for so long.

Most folk will cite the title track as their greatest work. Most folk are wrong.

Best track, See No Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puIM6LkKLpI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:48 am 

Divide And Exit - Sleaford Mods

It’s very rare to listen to music and have absolutely no idea where it came from. What their influences are. Sleaford Mods are one of those bands. Sure, they sound a bit like The Fall on this. A bit Dr John Cooper Clarke. A wee bit like The Streets. But what they really sound like is Sleaford Mods. I love this album to bits. Obviously I love them, and I’ve seen them live more than I’ve seen any other band.

I have all their stuff, including the stuff Jason put out before they became a signed band. This is their best work.

Best track - Tied Up In Nottz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFFWF1DnZKM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:09 pm 

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

A side project from Steely Dan, this is a fantastic homage to late 50's jazz, and the curious optimism of that time. Yes, nuclear annihilation is just around the corner (and is referenced in New Frontier: "it's just a dug-out that my dad built, in case the Reds decide to push the button down"). Smart lyrics, as you'd expect from Fagen, with loads of pop culture references from the time. Apparently it's pretty autobiographical too.

The music is jazzy but also very pop - upbeat and catchy. And joyous. Overall it captures that time in your life when you are stepping from childhood to adulthood and life is opening up all around you.

Put your cynicism to one side and dive into the jeweled water of this musical swimming pool. W-JAZ is playing on the radio, your girlfriend looks like Tuesday Weld and International Geophysical Year is gonna deliver a train under the ocean - New York to Paris in 90 minutes!

Here's IGY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ueivjr3f8xg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:04 pm 

keyser soze wrote:

A side project from Steely Dan, this is a fantastic homage to late 50's jazz, and the curious optimism of that time. Yes, nuclear annihilation is just around the corner (and is referenced in New Frontier: "it's just a dug-out that my dad built, in case the Reds decide to push the button down"). Smart lyrics, as you'd expect from Fagen, with loads of pop culture references from the time. Apparently it's pretty autobiographical too.

The music is jazzy but also very pop - upbeat and catchy. And joyous. Overall it captures that time in your life when you are stepping from childhood to adulthood and life is opening up all around you.

Put your cynicism to one side and dive into the jeweled water of this musical swimming pool. W-JAZ is playing on the radio, your girlfriend looks like Tuesday Weld and International Geophysical Year is gonna deliver a train under the ocean - New York to Paris in 90 minutes!

Here's IGY:

Chr*st I haven't heard that for ooh 40 years. Very 'tight' slick album. 'Walk between raindrops' I can recall instantly vis a vis you saying "Overall it captures that time in your life when you are stepping from childhood to adulthood and life is opening up all around you."

Sadly I grew up (sort of) and then became an MK Dons supporter.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:04 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Here's IGY:

Chr*st I haven't heard that for ooh 40 years. Very 'tight' slick album. 'Walk between raindrops' I can recall instantly vis a vis you saying "Overall it captures that time in your life when you are stepping from childhood to adulthood and life is opening up all around you."

Sadly I grew up (sort of) and then became an MK Dons supporter.....

I wrote that review then, literally, an hour later heard that a friend of mine had died of a heart attack this morning. Life opens up. And then it closes down. So fuck the fact that we're getting relegated. Seize hold of life today and enjoy it. Today might be our last. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next