THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:39 am 

Dear all,

Leading up to the Euro tournament in June this year, I am conducting some research looking at fans’ views towards the role of football in response to military conflict. For those interested in this topic, I have created a short survey that should not take up too much of your time: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form ... JfShOSBDDw

Participation is completely voluntary, but I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this topic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:11 am 

Done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:57 am 

Hmmm, I started to complete this but stopped about half way through. I would need to understand better the motivations behind it as I felt the statement that I was supposed to agree or disagree with were very leading and slanted. Not for me this one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:08 am 

Magpie wrote:
Hmmm, I started to complete this but stopped about half way through. I would need to understand better the motivations behind it as I felt the statement that I was supposed to agree or disagree with were very leading and slanted. Not for me this one.

I completed it, but I agree. A lot of those questions aren't easy to answer with a simple 'yes' or 'no': there's a lot of context involved that needs to be explained, and the follow-up questions didn't give scope for that.

It does give the impression that it's been designed to generate specific results.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:30 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:

I completed it, but I agree. A lot of those questions aren't easy to answer with a simple 'yes' or 'no': there's a lot of context involved that needs to be explained, and the follow-up questions didn't give scope for that.

It does give the impression that it's been designed to generate specific results.

All polls are designed to give specific results, including these type of 'yes/no' surveys. The current general election polls are a case in point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:00 am 

donmentor wrote:
All polls are designed to give specific results

This is, as usual, complete rubbish. This very morning I've been analysing and summarising some survey results for a work client, which asked questions that were entirely objective.

Some polls are slanted and biased, absolutely, but to say they're all like that is just bollocks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:15 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
donmentor wrote:

This is, as usual, complete rubbish. This very morning I've been analysing and summarising some survey results for a work client, which asked questions that were entirely objective.

Some polls are slanted and biased, absolutely, but to say they're all like that is just bollocks.

Then why is 'weighting' often used to twist a result. Presumably in some required direction ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:18 am 

donmentor wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:

All polls are designed to give specific results, including these type of 'yes/no' surveys. The current general election polls are a case in point.

I’m not sure how, or why, general election polls would be designed to give a specific result. The pollling company get their credibility (or otherwise) based on how close their polls are to the actual results. Why would they want to influence the outcome of their poll?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:20 am 

donmentor wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Then why is 'weighting' often used to twist a result. Presumably in some required direction ?

'Often' is not 'all polls'. Well done for contradicting yourself in the space of an hour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:25 am 

A lot of surveys have a slant or a weight to them (they are the same two things really). Some are a gentle nudge but for me at least this one has a definite gradient.

Polls are different as they are usually straight forward choices to straight forward questions.

Poll results are notoriously difficult as they need large data sets from a diverse cross section and can be transient, particularly in political polls