The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:46 am 

dons50 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Hmmm, I started to complete this but stopped about half way through. I would need to understand better the motivations behind it as I felt the statement that I was supposed to agree or disagree with were very leading and slanted. Not for me this one.

I completed it, but I agree. A lot of those questions aren't easy to answer with a simple 'yes' or 'no': there's a lot of context involved that needs to be explained, and the follow-up questions didn't give scope for that.

It does give the impression that it's been designed to generate specific results.

All polls are designed to give specific results, including these type of 'yes/no' surveys. The current general election polls are a case in point.

I’m not sure how, or why, general election polls would be designed to give a specific result. The pollling company get their credibility (or otherwise) based on how close their polls are to the actual results. Why would they want to influence the outcome of their poll?

Well they don't have a very good record on past elections, very often being wrong. As Mr Kinnock can confirm. They managed to con Mrs May in thinking she could improve her majority, but she lost most of it. They failed to correctly predict Boris Johnson's 80 seat victory. So there is little cause to believe them to be reliable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:16 am 

donmentor wrote:
dons50 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Hmmm, I started to complete this but stopped about half way through. I would need to understand better the motivations behind it as I felt the statement that I was supposed to agree or disagree with were very leading and slanted. Not for me this one.

I completed it, but I agree. A lot of those questions aren't easy to answer with a simple 'yes' or 'no': there's a lot of context involved that needs to be explained, and the follow-up questions didn't give scope for that.

It does give the impression that it's been designed to generate specific results.

All polls are designed to give specific results, including these type of 'yes/no' surveys. The current general election polls are a case in point.

I’m not sure how, or why, general election polls would be designed to give a specific result. The pollling company get their credibility (or otherwise) based on how close their polls are to the actual results. Why would they want to influence the outcome of their poll?

Well they don't have a very good record on past elections, very often being wrong. As Mr Kinnock can confirm. They managed to con Mrs May in thinking she could improve her majority, but she lost most of it. They failed to correctly predict Boris Johnson's 80 seat victory. So there is little cause to believe them to be reliable.

I agree that they’ve not been very accurate in recent years. That’s not the same as being designed to generate specific results.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:28 pm 

I see there is a very interesting article on the Guardian News website about polls. Well worth a read. Explains how polls are 'adjusted'
Its shows that polls are more or less just biased based guesswork.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:14 pm 

Guardian? I thought you didn't read newspapers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:34 am 

I'm with others on this. Started filling it in, but quickly came to the conclusion that it wanted to lead me to answers that weren't what I was comfortable giving.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:49 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:

I thought you would be please to think I was reading your favourite rag.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:00 am 

donmentor wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:

I'm the Guardian reader, not him. He reads MOTO GP Weekly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:11 am 

I filled it in , never take any notice of polls because YES no is never adequate. If he / she/ it wanted to use it for an essay I probable wrote it for them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:39 am 

Many thanks to those who have completed the survey. There is no intention to lead on the questions. It is still live in case anyone has a spare few minutes: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form ... JfShOSBDDw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:40 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:

You actually think I'm a Guardian reader. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're digging a hole so deep you must be about to pop up in New Zealand by now.