THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: England Strip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:50 am 

Setting aside the utterly ridiculous flag nonsense, would anyone on here pay £124.99 for a replica top?

I have no dog in this fight, being a childhood Rangers fan. So if anyone wants to throw pathetic England/Scotland rubbish at me you'll be wasting your time, but reading an article this morning which mentioned the price caused a sharp intake of breath here. I don't wear replica tops of any team, so I've no idea how much such a thing costs, but £125 seems totally unacceptable in the middle of a cost of living crisis.

Post subject: Re: England Strip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:18 am 

I suspect they’ll sell plenty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:20 am 

I certainly wouldn’t buy one .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:35 am 

Isnt that price for the 'match spec' kit? There is normally a lower but still ridiculous price for a 'casual spec' kit isnt there.

The flag stuff is nonsense in a lot of respects but it is the national flag and as such im not sure it would be very acceptable in any other nation or circumstances to arbitarily change it and call it playful. With the fallout from the womens GK jersey, Im not sure this is the best move Nike have ever made. I think they have loaded the second barrel of the shotgun and are currently taking solid aim at their one good foot!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:41 am 

I wonder what reaction Nike would get if they messed around the colours on the American flag.

If they messed with the Confederate flag, I would get some good ol boys would be using the Nike buildings as a turkey shoot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:54 am 

Everyone moans at this, they don't have to buy that one.

If we're commenting on how ridiculous it is for the other replica version, for £85, then fine. But for about 15 years now most high profile clubs have a kit for fans and the authentic player one.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:08 am 

Stella McCartney took all the red out of the Union Flag on the Team GB kit for London 2012 and nobody really complained. So why all the noise and politician outrage over this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:19 am 

I go on Asos and filter 'low to high'. Well passed the days of caring about overpriced branded items.

Wouldn't pay £50 for a football shirt but that's because I don't really wear them. I'd still buy them for my kids, although I still feel £50 is significantly overpriced.

The cost of the new England shirt is a total shambles. How on earth that can be justified at all I'll never know. Not sure what involvement the FA have in this, but they are failing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:23 am 

On the subject of football kits, but more specifically Club ones, you're essentially a walking advisement board for the shirt sponsor.

If I was Suzuki, I'd have been pretty pissed of at MK Dons for charging £55 for a League 2 football shirt. They'd want as many sold as possible, especially to kids who are likely to wear them away from the ground casually.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:24 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
I go on Asos and filter 'low to high'. Well passed the days of caring about overpriced branded items.

Wouldn't pay £50 for a football shirt but that's because I don't really wear them. I'd still buy them for my kids, although I still feel £50 is significantly overpriced.

The cost of the new England shirt is a total shambles. How on earth that can be justified at all I'll never know. Not sure what involvement the FA have in this, but they are failing.

I can only imagine Nike have paid god knows how much for the England contract and have to price it like this to make their money back and turn a profit.

They're a business - and a foreign one at that. They don't owe anything to England fans who may or may not be able to afford the kit. It's hardly a life essential like food or energy, is it?