THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: England Strip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:36 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
I go on Asos and filter 'low to high'. Well passed the days of caring about overpriced branded items.

Wouldn't pay £50 for a football shirt but that's because I don't really wear them. I'd still buy them for my kids, although I still feel £50 is significantly overpriced.

The cost of the new England shirt is a total shambles. How on earth that can be justified at all I'll never know. Not sure what involvement the FA have in this, but they are failing.

I can only imagine Nike have paid god knows how much for the England contract and have to price it like this to make their money back and turn a profit.

They're a business - and a foreign one at that. They don't owe anything to England fans who may or may not be able to afford the kit. It's hardly a life essential like food or energy, is it?

Thats entirely correct and Nike will have a pretty accurate model of what they can expect in return. Having said that, the average Uk football fan is pretty partisan and messing with the flag in the way they have is a move that might affect that model quite significantly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:38 am 

Magpie wrote:
the average Uk football fan is pretty partisan and messing with the flag in the way they have is a move that might affect that model quite significantly.

I very much doubt that. I reckon they'll sell just as many as they always do. It's not their fault that most football fans are stupid and slaves to trends.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:49 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:
the average Uk football fan is pretty partisan and messing with the flag in the way they have is a move that might affect that model quite significantly.

I very much doubt that. I reckon they'll sell just as many as they always do. It's not their fault that most football fans are stupid and slaves to trends.

I should perhaps have worded it as the average england football fan. I suspect there might be ore or an impact than you imagine. In recent days they have launched the USA, Dutch, Portugese, Canadian, Korean and Brazilian kits and havent playfully changed any of their flags.

Im not sure what the changes are supposed to represent? is it LGBT+ colours?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:07 am 

I don't remember the outrage over the shoulders of the 2011 kits, the coloured crosses were just as equally as small and insignificant on that one as the current home shirt. https://www.footballkitarchive.com/engl ... -home-kit/

The goalkeeper shirt around that time had the cross in different shades plastered all over the kit... that went down pretty nicely from memory. http://www.englandfootballonline.com/te ... 2011A.html

It's an uproar about nothing, people are just over sensitive about the promotional use of the word 'playful' in the tweet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:17 am 

League 2 football shirt or not, it still requires material to make.

How would you feel knowing Castore are charging a team 2 divisions below us £25 just because they have a lesser fanbase than ours? Football kits cost £45+, everywhere.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:24 am 

Let's say, hypothetically, that the FA mandates in the next kit contract that the shirts have to be sold for no more than, say, £40.

The kit manufacturers will still bid for them, but they will pay much less for the privilege because their ability to make the money back and make a profit is much more limited. In turn, this drastically reduces one of the FA's major income streams, meaning they have less to invest into facilities and the grassroots game.

It is in the interests of the FA, and English football as a whole, to generate as much money as possible from kit sales.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:49 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Let's say, hypothetically, that the FA mandates in the next kit contract that the shirts have to be sold for no more than, say, £40.

The kit manufacturers will still bid for them, but they will pay much less for the privilege because their ability to make the money back and make a profit is much more limited. In turn, this drastically reduces one of the FA's major income streams, meaning they have less to invest into facilities and the grassroots game.

It is in the interests of the FA, and English football as a whole, to generate as much money as possible from kit sales.

Well thats moving into an area of economic risk profiles. Assuming the bid to the FA remains the same, a company has to decide between charging a premium sum at the risk of selling less units overall versus selling at a consumer target price (ie lower) but increasing the unit turnover.

There are very complicated algorithms that help with this including a huge amount of social factors. Nike clearly believe the higher price fewer unit model is the least risk option, thats fine, loads of suppliers adopt that model but what most dont do is flippantly mess with a detail that a measurable proportion of the customer base identify directly with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:04 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Well thats moving into an area of economic risk profiles. Assuming the bid to the FA remains the same, a company has to decide between charging a premium sum at the risk of selling less units overall versus selling at a consumer target price (ie lower) but increasing the unit turnover.

There are very complicated algorithms that help with this including a huge amount of social factors. Nike clearly believe the higher price fewer unit model is the least risk option, thats fine, loads of suppliers adopt that model but what most dont do is flippantly mess with a detail that a measurable proportion of the customer base identify directly with.

Completely agree, although I reckon Nike will have modelled that all the hoo-hah about the flag will make little to no difference to sales, and just a lot of noise from people who weren't going to buy one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:10 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Completely agree, although I reckon Nike will have modelled that all the hoo-hah about the flag will make little to no difference to sales, and just a lot of noise from people who weren't going to buy one anyway.

They didnt do it with the brazil kit for instance where I guess sales are enormous and always will be? the market outside Brazil for their kit must be huge compared to the non domestic demand for an England Kit? Maybe its something the FA suggested or put in the specification?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:12 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Maybe its something the FA suggested or put in the specification?

That's an interesting thought. At the very least, the FA would have had to have seen the kit and signed it off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next