THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:44 pm 

I dont think I had until watching Sheffield United last night. I thought the worse performance I had seen in football was the Brazil loss to Germany in the w/c semi final but Last night Sheffield took that crown.

I understand being outclassed and outplayed by better teams with players but to be outworked, outfought, outwanted and outprofessional just isnt acceptable by a professional sports team. They just gave up and I dont think Ive seen that before.

Any Sheffield United fan would be so uttlerly appalled by what happened. Getting battered can happen but getting battered because you gave up is possibly the worse thing a pro team can do. Ive never seen anything like it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:53 pm 

Customary reminder that you cannot, under any circumstances, call Sheffield United, Wednesday or FC simply 'Sheffield'. See also zBristol City and Bristol Rovers :P

But they were a shambles. I genuinely think they're worse than Derby were. But I guess I don't watch them every week. The Brazil game was simply unbelievable, unthinkable and sensationally bizarre. Last night was expected but still humiliation at the highest level and a shame to see

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:03 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Customary reminder that you cannot, under any circumstances, call Sheffield United, Wednesday or FC simply 'Sheffield'. See also zBristol City and Bristol Rovers :P

But they were a shambles. I genuinely think they're worse than Derby were. But I guess I don't watch them every week. The Brazil game was simply unbelievable, unthinkable and sensationally bizarre. Last night was expected but still humiliation at the highest level and a shame to see

Damn, I picked up one reference but not the other.

The Brazil performance was a capitulation but last night was a new level of bad. They simply didnt perform the basic requirements of playing sport at any level. Simply trying, didnt happen!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:09 pm 

It can be very hard to distinguish between a team that's given up and a team that's just dreadful (at least most of the time). There's also whether they're bad in just one game or one season, or have sustained mediocrity and a lack of ambition for a number of years.

In the latter case, several teams spring to mind: Alpine, Haas, the New York Jets, Derbyshire cricket, Hull FC in rugby league. The closest football comparisons I could think of would be teams like like Colchester or Oldham: just plodding along year after year and withering away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:16 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
It can be very hard to distinguish between a team that's given up and a team that's just dreadful (at least most of the time). There's also whether they're bad in just one game or one season, or have sustained mediocrity and a lack of ambition for a number of years.

In the latter case, several teams spring to mind: Alpine, Haas, the New York Jets, Derbyshire cricket, Hull FC in rugby league. The closest football comparisons I could think of would be teams like like Colchester or Oldham: just plodding along year after year and withering away.

After the own goal last night, they gave up. Im sure of that. No running, no intensity, no discipline, no fight, no pride, no basics. Im sure the run they are on must make it extremely difficult to keep up standards when familiar patterns repeat but last night was the worst example of that I have seen in sport.

Im used to mediocrity, Ive been watching us take good aim and blow our own toes off whenever a sliver of opportunity to progress presents itself. I know what just plain not good enough looks like :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:03 pm 

I didn't watch the game but in what way did they give up? I only ask as they conceded 5 before half time but only 1 after, did Arsenal give up as well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:10 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
I didn't watch the game but in what way did they give up? I only ask as they conceded 5 before half time but only 1 after, did Arsenal give up as well?

Quite the opposite Arsenal were professional. Kept the ball, expended as little energy as possible, reduced injury risk, managed the game and didnt humiliate their opposition any more than necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:08 pm 

Genuinely think if Arsenal wanted to they could've scored ten. But they themselves passed the second half to death. They completely came off the pedal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:42 pm 

On the plus side, their fans see a lot of goals. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:45 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
On the plus side, their fans see a lot of goals. :D

Not all of them, it seems a good few of them gave up well before half time as well and sodded off home. Cant say I blame them!