THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:56 pm 

It all irrelevant anyway. Announcement postponed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:06 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Football evolves, just like all aspects of life. Some people don’t like that and prefer things to stay as they were. My parents always told me that things were better in the “old days” and I find myself saying the same to my children.

Things move on and we all have to adapt and move with them.

True - to an extent. Though that kind of argument is always used to justify every change / undermine the criticism of it. But the idea that all change is 'evolving' (a positive) is BS. There's plenty of changes that turn out to not work and prove to be a step backwards.

There's absolutely no way that all change is for the better - any more than it's true that all change is for the worse. So some (not meaning you) shutting down criticism with 'some people just don't accept change / things evolving' is very disingenuous, as there's no guarantee each change is a step forward rather than a step back, therefore having doubts and criticisms about some of them might prove far more accurate than blindly saying 'it's different, therefore it must be better'.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:11 pm 

Plum wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Football evolves, just like all aspects of life. Some people don’t like that and prefer things to stay as they were. My parents always told me that things were better in the “old days” and I find myself saying the same to my children.

Things move on and we all have to adapt and move with them.

True - to an extent. Though that kind of argument is always used to justify every change / undermine the criticism of it. But the idea that all change is 'evolving' (a positive) is BS. There's plenty of changes that turn out to not work and prove to be a step backwards.

There's absolutely no way that all change is for the better - any more than it's true that all change is for the worse. So some (not meaning you) shutting down criticism with 'some people just don't accept change / things evolving' is very disingenuous, as there's no guarantee each change is a step forward rather than a step back, therefore having doubts and criticisms about some of them might prove far more accurate than blindly saying 'it's different, therefore it must be better'.

I’m not saying that all change is better, more that it’s inevitable. Some change will work well and some won’t, but stopping still isn’t desirable either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:50 am 

Alby39 wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Football needs to do something to get players to accept and respect the referee’s authority. Maybe this could do that.

Of course you're for it. IFAB could introduce a law where the referees could stop the game whenever they feel tired and you'd think it'd a good idea.

SteelbackDon wrote:
And with injury time you have a "last play". The moment they time is up, then it's play until the ball goes out of play. Best thing Rugby has that you can pinch from there.

You and I both know as soon as that 90 minute mark is hit, the winning side just launches it out of whichever perimeter is nearest. No injury time equalisers any more. Not for me.

The exact same that happens in Rugby. Ref indicates 5 minutes of injury time, five minutes get played, ref then blows to say final play. if the ball goes out it's done. team trying to score has to do something with it. Same as Rugby, if they are fouled they carry on, but lose possession the game is done. Just adds final jeopardy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:30 am 

We really need to stop comparing this sport to rugby. There's a reason football is the most popular sport worldwide for a variety of different reasons, ages and demographics and rugby isn't. Stop looking to it as the end game, it isn't.

There's a reason things work in that sport and don't work in others. If you can't identify them without them being spelled out then it's a tad concerning

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:42 am 

Alby39 wrote:
We really need to stop comparing this sport to rugby. There's a reason football is the most popular sport worldwide for a variety of different reasons, ages and demographics and rugby isn't. Stop looking to it as the end game, it isn't.

There's a reason things work in that sport and don't work in others. If you can't identify them without them being spelled out then it's a tad concerning

Yeah, I get fed up with it being held up so much as well.

Football is so popular that I guess it triggers a lot of hatred from those who don't like it as it's so omnipresent. And even people who do like it seem to resent the money in the game so much at the top end that they're very sour about it. So you hear so much negativity about Football, and so much positivity about bloody Rugby. Whereas, as you say, it's Football that's actually the most popular sport, watched and played everywhere. Rugby is a lot more niche, like Cricket.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:11 am 

I think that it will be good for the game as I hate the way players get away with cynical fouls or as it’s called “ taking one for the team” when teams are counterattacking them and also the backchat to the match officials if you commit a foul grow a set and take the punishment don’t feel you have the right to abuse the ref because he caught you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:37 am 

Alby39 wrote:

I love both games. I get your main point, Alby, but it would be silly not to try some of the features of the other game that might improve things.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:11 pm 

Why not just get refs not to bottle it and actually give out more yellows (and second yellows) for dissent?
Sin bins for tactical fouls could be interesting, but it's still going to be an economic decision of blue card vs opportunity rather than yellow vs opportunity. And will probably mean teams sit back and defend deep more often which could be dull.

Just back refs more in giving out second yellows and the need for blue cards goes away imo.

Also, change is always bad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:34 pm 

Maybe I am being very single minded here, but I can't stand all this bollocks around Blue cards and VAR. Call me old fashioned, but I think part of the thrill of the game is around controversy, even if it's against you. You win some, you lose some. Facts may provide a compelling arguement, but I'm not sure I could ever be convinced.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next