THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:49 pm 

I used to think this would be a good idea, until it was explained to me why it wasn't by pretty much everyone who has played the game pundits especially, why it's a dreadful idea and they made points as to why it is another example of killing the game that I hadn't even considered. I reckon there's probably even posts on here of me saying it'd be a good idea.

I considered it as simple as what it was. 5/10 mins out and back in. I hadn't even considered the tactical element of how it'd absolutely fudge the gameplans, advise a low block and take the fun and freedom of the game to a halt. It's a change of opinion I am absolutely willing to admit.

I'm going to guess many on here will think it's good but I think it's pretty shit tbh

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:22 pm 

Its like all new ideas, the pundits and ex players on the whole always think it will be shit.

Its been something used in youth football for a while now and has some level of success and some level of less so.

On the plus side, it stops players getting sent off for marginal or accumulative offences but also advantages the non offending side for a short period.

The downsides are its still subjective in application, its used so inconsistently the players dont understand it and some refs dont appear to know it exists.

You are probably too young to remember but I recall when the passback rule was brought in. Almost universally it was slated as an idea and as I was playing at the time, I absolutely hated the very thought of it.

It took about 30 minutes for me to realise the benefit of it in the first match we played with the law. Speeded things up immensely, made the game more about players and less about hoofers and generally speaking was a good thing when I and pretty everyone else thought it was a terrible idea.

I think it could be implemented at say national league level for a trial and see how It pans out. it might work better than you expect or it might be a pointless extra workload for refs, fully exploited by teams and hated by all involved. It works in other sports quite well so it theory at least it might translate into top level football.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm 

I wish they would stop interfering in football, it’s worked perfectly well for donkeys years, we don’t need sin bins, we don’t need VAR, we don’t need five substitutes, just stop it, please.

Go and meddle elsewhere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:12 pm 

Scribble wrote:
I wish they would stop interfering in football, it’s worked perfectly well for donkeys years, we don’t need sin bins, we don’t need VAR, we don’t need five substitutes, just stop it, please.

Go and meddle elsewhere

Could not agree more. Constant rule changes and over coaching have been the spoiling of what was a simple game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:28 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Scribble wrote:
Go and meddle elsewhere

Could not agree more. Constant rule changes and over coaching have been the spoiling of what was a simple game.

Agree with much of it.

Certainly I don't see the need to meddle in terms.of introducing a sin bin. That seems an unnecessary and intrusive change that's far from just a tweak.

The number of substitutions being increased I think is an inevitable consequence of the increasing speed of the game, and the increased amount of running players are required to do with each passing generation. That physical demand, combined with an increased awareness of health & safety, means things like increased substitutions, introduction of concussion subs, etc, was inevitable and in keeping with changes and safety discussions in other sports.

Similarly, the introduction of VAR was pretty much inevitable given how many other sports used technology, and the increased amount of discussion about how the richest sport could continue justifying not using it. It's what it's used for, and how (in)effectively, that's the biggest issue. Personally, I wish they'd just kept it for line decisions - goalline and offsides - and left the rest alone. But then there'd have inevitably been constant debate each mistake about why it wasn't been used to correct it when the technology was there to be used, etc. So, to be fair, I think Football pretty much held out as long as possible - longer than some thought it should - before finally introducing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:38 pm 

I personally think the idea of a sin bin is a good idea provided it's specifically for professional fouls. I feel the lack of an effective punishment for deliberately stopping a counter attack can effectively nullify the threat of counter attacks. Every game there's about 3 yellow cards resulting from professional fouls, that's likely 3 half decent opportunities stopped every game. I think the game would be a lot more exciting as teams such as there's much more risk to teams Manchester city losing the ball high up the field meaning games become more end to end. It would likely level the playing field some what.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:44 pm 

I've not really got any opinion on this just yet. It could turn out to be a really good change or it could also be a disaster. We've just got to give it a change and see how it plays out.

The introduction of VAR (love it or hate it) has massively highlighted the number of borderline red card decisions there are. At the moment, we always seem to lean towards giving the red card rather than giving the defender the benefit of the doubt. It's getting to the stage where there's too many red cards and it's ruining too many games. Hopefully this can go some way to changing that. If it's borderline, sin bin them for 10 minutes and let them back on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:20 pm 

I think the problem with saying it's a good idea if used in moderation, and only for... is that things almost always seem to swing from one extreme to another and there's very rarely any kind of moderation or balance found whereby anyone then says 'stop!'

It's like that with VAR, and it's like that with so much else in society right now. Once a thing is in motion, it pretty much goes to the other extreme as it becomes like a runaway train that's hard to stop.

I imagine, just like with VAR, once sin bins come in they'll be used for everything and will just become another part of the 'debate' that everyone complains about. And will slow the game down even farther as now there's more VAR calls to make about if they're sin bin worthy, and another option to consider in the existing calls about whether it's a red or sin bin offence. Or you have the situation that seemed a bit of a farce during the bits of the Rugby World Cup that I saw where the game carried on but players, managers and commentators had no idea if a team were just down a player for sin bin time or if it was going to be upgraded to a red. That seemed worse and confusing rather than progress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:21 pm 

With the reference to Rugby, they still only use two cards, yellow for the sin bin with a possible review it could be red and straight red as in football is a sending off.

Football does not need three cards, you make a bad tackle you’re yellow carded, do it again and you’re off, make a reckless challenge it’s a red, to me there is no inbetween, no need for a blue card, orange card or whatever colour of choice, it’s just not needed.

It’s not inconceivable you could have two or three players off in a sin bin at any given time, it’s just ruining the game

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:16 am 

It's highly likely at some point in the near future we will see:

*A VAR decision, such as a penalty, taking 3-5 minutes to solve. Game square at 1-1.
* Team goes down to ten men with the blue card.
* Parking the bus because of the disadvantage.
* Game goes back to 11 v 11.
* Another VAR decision.
* 5 subs a side.
* Another VAR decision.
* 20 minutes injury time.

That isn't football.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit