THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:54 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Big fan then!

I hold Toto and Christian in equal contempt. They're a pair of fucking spivs. Those two, through their childish squabbling and politicking behind the scenes, have played a big role in helping Liberty turn F1 into what it's become.

It's all fur coat and no knickers. Fake marinas and Will-I-Am conducting fake orchestras. Boring, predictable racing with no new teams, no new drivers, and next to no chance for the teams at the back to get to the front. TV direction that's focused on showing what a good time fans are apparently having in the stands, at the expense of seeing actual racing and overtaking on the rare occasions it actually happens.

Liberty doesn't want people like me who actually love motorsport. They want people who want to be seen at races and wear the merch, and will pay whatever it costs, even if it's clearly a blatant rip-off (cheapest weekend ticket at Silverstone this year is £339 - and over £500 for the cheapest grandstand seats!). They want airheads who will watch Drive To Survive and believe it's all real, read and click through on all the F1 crap on social media to boost Liberty's impression rates, and treat their favourite and least favourite drivers like they're supporting football teams and be part of blindly tribal fanbases that are bordering on cults.

Because all that is what makes Liberty money, and that's all Liberty cares about. They want consumers, not fans, and fuck anyone who actually has an emotional connection with the sport that goes back decades.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:05 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Big fan then!

I hold Toto and Christian in equal contempt. They're a pair of fucking spivs. Those two, through their childish squabbling and politicking behind the scenes, have played a big role in helping Liberty turn F1 into what it's become.

It's all fur coat and no knickers. Fake marinas and Will-I-Am conducting fake orchestras. Boring, predictable racing with no new teams, no new drivers, and next to no chance for the teams at the back to get to the front. TV direction that's focused on showing what a good time fans are apparently having in the stands, at the expense of seeing actual racing and overtaking on the rare occasions it actually happens.

Liberty doesn't want people like me who actually love motorsport. They want people who want to be seen at races and wear the merch, and will pay whatever it costs, even if it's clearly a blatant rip-off (cheapest weekend ticket at Silverstone this year is £339!). They want airheads who will watch Drive To Survive and believe it's all real, read and click through on all the F1 crap on social media to boost Liberty's impression rates, and treat their favourite and least favourite drivers like they're supporting football teams and be part of blindly tribal fanbases that are bordering on cults.

Because all that is what makes Liberty money, and that's all Liberty cares about. Fuck anyone who actually has an emotional connection with the sport that goes back decades.

To be honest, I think you need to get off the fence a bit. What do you really think :lol: :lol:

FWIW, I have given up with Silverstone. We have been to Spa, Monza and Abu Dhabi in recent years and are going to Singapore this year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:06 pm 

Magpie wrote:
FWIW, I have given up with Silverstone. We have been to Spa, Monza and Abu Dhabi in recent years and are going to Singapore this year.

Good stuff. I did five MotoGPs last year, and I'm off to Austin for the second time in April. Can highly recommend Austin, both as a track and especially as a city. Direct flight from Heathrow, too. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:02 am 

I'm a massive fan, but have to agree with Dan in regards to how un-exciting it's becoming. In fact last season was quite boring. It's one of the reasons we have Sky Sports, which I suppose backs Dan's points of views.

I drive past Red Bull every day. Always think that it's brilliant for the city to have a massive brand like here. It's good for the profile of MK.

However. Tell me a sport that's not all about money!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:59 am 

I am conflicted regarding how dominated a particular formula can be. Ferrari back in the Schumacher era, Red Bull in the Vettel era, Mercedes in the Hamilton era and now Redbull looking set to dominate until 2026.

The issue of one team absolutely nailing the formula with the others then unable to catch up, partcularly now there is a budget cap does make for some quite boring races in terms of who wins but for those that are really interested, the midfield battles can be very intense and knife edge in terms of who will finish where.

Its not Red Bulls fault that other equally well or even better resourced teams havent performed as well but t is F1's fault that teams like Sauber (under whatever guise they operate) Haas and laterly Williams have more or less zero chance to catch up. Some sort of equalistation method could be used although I have no idea what and maybe even reverse grids.

It wont happen though and much like football, the top prizes will mostly be won be only a select few. Obviously Brawn are the outlier with their remarkable acheivement. They got a bit lucky with the double diffuser and were able to capitalise in the early part of the season before the usual suspects out developed them and then as always with these type of innovations , F1 banned it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:51 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Its not Red Bulls fault that other equally well or even better resourced teams havent performed as well but t is F1's fault that teams like Sauber (under whatever guise they operate) Haas and laterly Williams have more or less zero chance to catch up. Some sort of equalistation method could be used although I have no idea what and maybe even reverse grids.

MotoGP has a 'concession' system, whereby manufacturers that are struggling - currently Honda and Yamaha - are allowed to use more engines, are allowed to do more testing, and can do more engine and aerodynamic development during the season. It allows them to catch up, and once they catch up and their results improve, they lose those concessions.

It's an excellent system. Ducati, who are currently the dominant force, have had to use concessions in the past to catch up and it's a real equaliser. It would work brilliantly in F1 IMO but there's too many vested interests preventing something like that being adopted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:21 am 

So for those interested, what do you think after the short test last week?

For me

Redbull still comfortably ahead
Ferrari look to have made a definite step forward

Mercedes/McLaren look to be a bit further back than they ended last season

Aston/Wlliams/RB look like they will make up the midfield which is a massive leap forward for Williams and RB

Sauber/Haas loom to be occupying their usual back markers berth

but

Alpine look to be in the mud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:31 am 

I don't see how anyone can be regarded as a champion driver when it's all down to who has the best car. To find the best driver would require all drivers to be driving identical cars. So really it's no more than a constructor's championship.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:38 am 

donmentor wrote:
I don't see how anyone can be regarded as a champion driver when it's all down to who has the best car. To find the best driver would require all drivers to be driving identical cars. So really it's no more than a constructor's championship.

The argument is true of any sport. Its as much about the endeavour as the result. But clearly you arent a fan so nothing for you to see here on this non ambiguously titled thread in the correct section of the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:22 pm 

Magpie wrote:
donmentor wrote:

The argument is true of any sport. Its as much about the endeavour as the result. But clearly you arent a fan so nothing for you to see here on this non ambiguously titled thread in the correct section of the forum.

Maybe, but I notice you can't deny the truth of my observation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next