THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:13 pm 

Not for the quality of the game, but the most enjoyable game I have been to is England v Denmark in the Euro semi-final. It wasn't even the experience during the game but after and how almost everyone stayed in the ground after the final whistle signing sweet caroline.

The United, Yeovil and first AFC game will live long in the memory too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:18 pm 

having said that, just before christmas I ended up watching a game of local football. Dog and Duck level on a sunday morning.

No idea of who either of the team were and I can assure you it was more of a UFC meets aussie rules rather than football but it was so entertaining.

End to end, loads of goals, no idea who was going to win and Im not entirely certain who in fact did win. A ref who had clearly given up and was just there for the cash which meant that absolute X rated tackles went completely unfussed by the nonsense of a whistle and the game, really really oddly was all the better for it.

The players all spoke like they were extras off of top boy and acted accordingly.

Best game I'd seen in ages

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:31 pm 

Probably not my actual answer, but after this morning's news I can't help but think about Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona. Absolutely optimises what Jurgen Klopp did at LFC. In his own words, he took us from "doubters to believers." You will be missed Jurgen. Today is a very sad day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:35 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Probably not my actual answer, but after this morning's news I can't help but think about Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona. Absolutely optimises what Jurgen Klopp did at LFC. In his own words, he took us from "doubters to believers." You will be missed Jurgen. Today is a very sad day.

I'll probably sound like a complete conspiracy theorist saying this but I have long suspected the latter stages of the Champions League are fixed for entertainment purposes. There have been far too many wacky results and huge comebacks, particularly in the QFs and SFs, in recent years. I just don't believe in it as a competition. It's like the WWE of football.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:45 pm 

2013, all games around us were snowed off, including Dons. Me and a couple of mates found one game going ahead where it was feasible to get to. St Neots vs Kettering. Kettering were 3-0 up at HT, then St Neots won 4-3 thanks to a last minute goal. Celebrated it like I was a lifelong St Neots fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 pm 

Tin foil hat for Dan... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:09 pm 

MK 0-0 Oxford, September 2016.
AFC 0-2 MK, Jan 2021.

Excluded favourite games- literally just picked the ones i remember as being most enjoyable to watch and was thoroughly entertained.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:49 pm 

I'd also go for England - Holland in '96. They, England, were outstanding. They were quite simply a joy to watch, and I was certain that they were nailed on to go on and win the whole thing. The Scotland thing already mentioned somewhat took the shine of the evening for me as I followed the national team then. But you can't take anything away from England that night.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:02 am 

Barcelona v Chelsea Champions League Semi Final back in 2012, where Gary Neville has an orgasm live on national TV when Torres rounded the keeper at the end. A certain Di Matteo was managing Chelsea back then.

That game had absolutely everything. Stats wise, Chelsea rode their luck, but it was an incredible achievement against one of the best teams in history.

The final was full of Drama as well, but this game edged it for me.

Also fond memories of us beating Germany 5:1 when Owen scored a hat trick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:15 am 

BuckDon wrote:
Also fond memories of us beating Germany 5:1 when Owen scored a hat trick.

Oh God, this! How did I not include it?