THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PDC Q School
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:02 pm 

midland don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
I dont know any of these names that people are saying but obviously for those that follow the sport, these are decent high level players.

Not even former BDO world champion Richie Burnett or 3 time world champion John Part?

I would say both names are familiar but if asked in isolation I dont think I would have known either name as a darts player.

Having said that, Ive been to see the darts live on 3 occasions. Lakeside and Ally Pally but those were a good few years ago. The most recent was at the stadium but due to the ludicrous token system for drinks, long queues at the bar and being with a rugby crowd, I cant recall a single second of the actual darts due to about 30 pitchers of beer all arriving at one time and a relentless rugby pace setting in!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:04 pm 

Magpie wrote:
The most recent was at the stadium but due to the ludicrous token system for drinks, long queues at the bar and being with a rugby crowd, I cant recall a single second of the actual darts due to about 30 pitchers of beer all arriving at one time and a relentless rugby pace setting in!!

That token system was only for the first year or two at MK - they still have it at Ally Pally and it's a total pain in the arse.

The service at the Masters (and I can't believe I'm saying this about a Winkelman bar) has got a lot better since then. The trick is not to go for the first bar you see like all the other idiots, and head for the far end - there's never any queue down there!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:41 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Plum wrote:
As regards Fallon Sherrock (and the comparison to the Snooker Tour) - does she have to earn her place on tour by beating men at Q School then?

Yes. She has qualified for the World Championship and the Grand Slam of Darts through performances in the PDC Women's Series (where she is a solid second behind Beau Greaves). She's also been given lots of appearances at the non-ranking World Series events for publicity reasons, in much the same way that Littler will be this year.

But to get on the main tour full-time, Q School is the main way to do it. She has tried and missed out a few times now, but that's not to deride her ability, because Q School is notoriously fucking difficult to get through!

Players like Scott Waites did have an alternative route at one time when the PDC offered tour cards to BDO world championship semi finalists. Not many took them up on it, including Waites who probably should have done at the time and has now seemingly missed his opportunity to excel in the PDC. Bunting may have entered the PDC that way (I can't remember for sure now), and Ted Hankey certainly did

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:54 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Magpie wrote:
The most recent was at the stadium but due to the ludicrous token system for drinks, long queues at the bar and being with a rugby crowd, I cant recall a single second of the actual darts due to about 30 pitchers of beer all arriving at one time and a relentless rugby pace setting in!!

That token system was only for the first year or two at MK - they still have it at Ally Pally and it's a total pain in the arse.

The service at the Masters (and I can't believe I'm saying this about a Winkelman bar) has got a lot better since then. The trick is not to go for the first bar you see like all the other idiots, and head for the far end - there's never any queue down there!

I went to a concert recently at Wembley and that was a token system. I just dont get the benefit of it? It took ages to buy tokens with no idea how many I needed and then as there was only one bar, the queue there was ridiculous as literally everyone who was drinking was there!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:39 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Plum wrote:
As regards Fallon Sherrock (and the comparison to the Snooker Tour) - does she have to earn her place on tour by beating men at Q School then?

Yes. She has qualified for the World Championship and the Grand Slam of Darts through performances in the PDC Women's Series (where she is a solid second behind Beau Greaves). She's also been given lots of appearances at the non-ranking World Series events for publicity reasons, in much the same way that Littler will be this year.

But to get on the main tour full-time, Q School is the main way to do it. She has tried and missed out a few times now, but that's not to deride her ability, because Q School is notoriously fucking difficult to get through!

Thanks for all that info.

As I said in my initial post, I think that's the right balance that should also be used in Snooker - invite the women for some invitational events, but after that they should have to qualify for the tour in the same way as others (mostly via Q School). Or, as I said, even if they get on initially based on their women's rankings, as they do in Snooker, they should still have to earn their next Tour contract based on their rankings on that, not lose almost every game but keep staying on if their women's ranking is high enough.