THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDC Q School
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:03 pm 

midland don wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Matt Caste has scraped through to the final round by one leg on leg difference.

Walked into Connor Scutt today sadly, who trounced him 6-0. Bit of a tough start.

Sherrock also out in Last 128.

Some significant names at the Arena playing today, Richie Burnett, Ted Evetts, Scott Mitchell, Steve Lennon, Scott Waites, Demolition Darren Webster and of course Part got through.

Dancing Devon Petersen too!

Shows just how tough the tour is these days to see some of those at Q school. Part and Burnett are obviously at the end of their playing careers, and probably Webster too, but Evetts, Mitchell, Lennon, Waites and Peterson are good players

Yep. And only Lennon has made it to the last 8.

The X Factor Andy Boulton is there still, he's been around for years. And fair play to Willie Borland who has done next to nothing all week, scraped through the order of merit and is now in the last 8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:22 pm 

I dont know any of these names that people are saying but obviously for those that follow the sport, these are decent high level players.

So why are players averaging in the 30's and 40's even bothering? with the entry fees, accommodation, travel and subsistence costs they must be looking at something close to a grand to throw the sort of darts you might see at a pub league level?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:06 pm 

I met Willie Borland in the pub when he was here for Q School last year. Nice guy.

Here he is a couple of years ago at the Worlds, hitting a nine darter in the deciding leg of the match! https://youtu.be/2etbixD6aWw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:09 pm 

Magpie wrote:
I dont know any of these names that people are saying but obviously for those that follow the sport, these are decent high level players.

So why are players averaging in the 30's and 40's even bothering? with the entry fees, accommodation, travel and subsistence costs they must be looking at something close to a grand to throw the sort of darts you might see at a pub league level?

It's a very good question! Maybe it's chasing the dream a bit: these are normal guys in normal jobs, and this is the only route in their lives to doing something special.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:34 pm 

Borland just lost today's final to Steve 'Interesting' Lennon, but he'll have earned good order of merit points, so a few more match wins or one more run to the semis should be enough to get him back on the tour.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:57 pm 

As regards Fallon Sherrock (and the comparison to the Snooker Tour) - does she have to earn her place on tour by beating men at Q School then?

If so, I think that's how Snooker should do it as well. Instead, the top 4 women on the women's tour get 2 year cards - then barely win a game for 2 years and yet get to retain their place If they're still in the top 4 women. At the very least, I think those who've failed to earn their spot via the main Tour rankings after their 2 years should have to go to Q School that season rather than stay on because of their women's ranking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:22 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Borland just lost today's final to Steve 'Interesting' Lennon, but he'll have earned good order of merit points, so a few more match wins or one more run to the semis should be enough to get him back on the tour.

Lennon was pretty unlucky to lose his card as he did ok at the Worlds based on expectation. After he beat Bates I thought he had saved it but obviously other results did for him.

Funnily enough you met Borland in a pub, I met Lennon and Keane Barry at a social club in Minehead at the UK Open last year. :lol: Didn't chat for long, the club was trying to get us to sign up to a £50 membership card we can use every year. Swerved it in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:23 pm 

Plum wrote:
As regards Fallon Sherrock (and the comparison to the Snooker Tour) - does she have to earn her place on tour by beating men at Q School then?

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:25 pm 

Magpie wrote:

Not even former BDO world champion Richie Burnett or 3 time world champion John Part?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:39 pm 

Plum wrote:

Yes. She has qualified for the World Championship and the Grand Slam of Darts through performances in the PDC Women's Series (where she is a solid second behind Beau Greaves). She's also been given lots of appearances at the non-ranking World Series events for publicity reasons, in much the same way that Littler will be this year.

But to get on the main tour full-time, Q School is the main way to do it. She has tried and missed out a few times now, but that's not to deride her ability, because Q School is notoriously fucking difficult to get through!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next