THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDC Q School
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:45 pm 

Sherrock is through to next stage as she blasted some guy 5-0 in the last 16, 99 avg.

The Hammer Andy Hamilton is through as well, real blast from the past. Another old name Mark Dudbridge of the 00's lost 3-5 so has to come back tomorrow. He made the World's final in 2005.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:05 pm 

Towcestrian wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Thanks for all the answers and info.

With regards to me rocking up, I could throw £20 notes out of my front window from rural bedfordshire in the general direction of Bletchley and my chances of qualifying would not be diminished even the smallest amount compared to actually turning up there and actually having darts to throw! :lol:

:lol:

One poor guy, Jamie Foster has lost 5-0 both days with an average of 36. :oops:

£500 to enter and he's paid up to £400 for the honour of staying at Castle Greyskull Winkelman for 4 nights. To then be soundly trounced by county players.

I would hope he only booked 2 nights tbh.

I think I could average more than 36 with my eyes shut, and I'm shit at darts!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:17 pm 

midland don wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Magpie wrote:

With regards to me rocking up, I could throw £20 notes out of my front window from rural bedfordshire in the general direction of Bletchley and my chances of qualifying would not be diminished even the smallest amount compared to actually turning up there and actually having darts to throw! :lol:

£500 to enter and he's paid up to £400 for the honour of staying at Castle Greyskull Winkelman for 4 nights. To then be soundly trounced by county players.

I remember an interview with Eric Bristow many years ago. He recalled how he'd go to some charity gig at a pub and the local darts top boy would play him and sometime beat him. He then stated words to the effect of "put them in front of 1000 baying people and some TV cameras and they'd fall apart. Whereas I thrive".

The geezer probably just bottled it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:11 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
midland don wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Magpie wrote:

I remember an interview with Eric Bristow many years ago. He recalled how he'd go to some charity gig at a pub and the local darts top boy would play him and sometime beat him. He then stated words to the effect of "put them in front of 1000 baying people and some TV cameras and they'd fall apart. Whereas I thrive".

The geezer probably just bottled it.

That's fair, but these games are basically played in a near cubicle. The only people watching will be the scorer and the odd family member.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:14 am 

Plum wrote:
The tour cards, rankings and Q-School format reads pretty much identical to Snooker so, despite not following Darts, Dan's detailed description felt really familiar. :)

Funny that, given they're both under the control of the Hearns and Matchroom. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:16 am 

midland don wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:

I had a go at trying to play darts about a year ago, just going to the pub to practice with a mate about once a week. Stopped in the end because I don't have the time to devote to it properly. And I'm crap at it.

On a good day, I was averaging about 30. Now I know I'm almost at Q School standard, I don't feel so bad about it now. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:51 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
midland don wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:

I had a go at trying to play darts about a year ago, just going to the pub to practice with a mate about once a week. Stopped in the end because I don't have the time to devote to it properly. And I'm crap at it.

On a good day, I was averaging about 30. Now I know I'm almost at Q School standard, I don't feel so bad about it now. :lol:

All you need is a good nickname :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:13 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Plum wrote:
The tour cards, rankings and Q-School format reads pretty much identical to Snooker so, despite not following Darts, Dan's detailed description felt really familiar. :)

Funny that, given they're both under the control of the Hearns and Matchroom. :D

True. :)
But they're both still different sports, and I hadn't realised they used such a similar format.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:41 pm 

Plum wrote:
But they're both still different sports, and I hadn't realised they used such a similar format.

I'd definitely like to see the PDC introduce the minimum wage for tour card holders like the WST has. The players at the lower end of the rankings really aren't earning much when travel and accommodation expenses are taken into account.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:52 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Plum wrote:

I'd definitely like to see the PDC introduce the minimum wage for tour card holders like the WST has. The players at the lower end of the rankings really aren't earning much when travel and accommodation expenses are taken into account.

Yeah, that's been a good introduction in Snooker. All players on the Tour now being guaranteed to have their earnings topped up to £20,000 if it falls below that for the season will be a real help to those in the lower third of the rankings.

There's still a lot of talk about should the prize money be so weighted towards the later stages and very little or none for those who lose early. But I think the two things are a decent compromise - I agree with rewarding players for winning not losing (Hearn's view), but the topping up of the earnings to a minimum of £20,000 at least makes it just about manageable even for those who rarely win a Snooker match all year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next