THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:02 am 

midland don wrote:
2012 PDC world darts championship semi final. First to 6 sets, James Wade led Adrian Lewis 5-0 when Lewis complained of a breeze blowing across the stage affecting his throw. James Wade agreed to go off stage while it was resolved. When the match resumed Adrian Lewis won the 6 remaining sets to go through to the final, and second world title.

Also in darts, most players after beating Phil Taylor in the world championship (on the few occasions it happened) went on to lose their next game - Wayne Mardle (beaten next game by Kirk Shepherd), Mark Webster (beaten next game by Adrian Lewis), Dave Chisnall (beaten next game by Andy Hamilton), Michael Smith (beaten next game by Peter Wright), van Barneveld (beaten next game to van Gerwen). The only exception was Jelle Klaasen who got through his next match before being well beaten the round after, and anyone who beat him in the final

That reminds me - Mervyn King's total collapse against Wade in the Masters final before the tournament moved to MK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
midland don wrote:
2012 PDC world darts championship semi final. First to 6 sets, James Wade led Adrian Lewis 5-0 when Lewis complained of a breeze blowing across the stage affecting his throw. James Wade agreed to go off stage while it was resolved. When the match resumed Adrian Lewis won the 6 remaining sets to go through to the final, and second world title.

Also in darts, most players after beating Phil Taylor in the world championship (on the few occasions it happened) went on to lose their next game - Wayne Mardle (beaten next game by Kirk Shepherd), Mark Webster (beaten next game by Adrian Lewis), Dave Chisnall (beaten next game by Andy Hamilton), Michael Smith (beaten next game by Peter Wright), van Barneveld (beaten next game to van Gerwen). The only exception was Jelle Klaasen who got through his next match before being well beaten the round after, and anyone who beat him in the final

That reminds me - Mervyn King's total collapse against Wade in the Masters final before the tournament moved to MK.

King did the same in the World Grand Prix final to a highly rated yet at the time failing to live up to the hype Michael van Gerwen - the rest is history for MVG after that.

Pretty certain Wade also had a big lead in the Grand Slam final (8-0 I think), before losing 16-12 to Scott Waites

It's a strange one with Wade. He has a history of doing it, yet he has also won many PDC major titles, so he knows how to get over the line

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:30 am 

Brazil 1998 world cup final. Odd goings on all round for sure but a massive choke nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:35 am 

midland don wrote:
It's a strange one with Wade. He has a history of doing it, yet he has also won many PDC major titles, so he knows how to get over the line

Yeah, well, James Wade is a bit strange full stop. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:38 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Brazil 1998 world cup final. Odd goings on all round for sure but a massive choke nonetheless.

Semi final v Germany in 2014, where they lost 7-1, was pretty spectacular too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:58 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Semi final v Germany in 2014, where they lost 7-1, was pretty spectacular too.

Yeah, a shocking performance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:11 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
midland don wrote:

Yeah, well, James Wade is a bit strange full stop. :lol:

Bonkers! :lol:

Yes, I know he doesn't use that as his walk on music any more

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:26 pm 

(Yet again) losing semi finalists, South Africa, have the tag of 'chokers' in major cricket one day competitions - due to their tendency to lose in the later stages, often from winning positions.

I especially remember the final group game (in effect a SF) v Australia in 1999 when they needed 9 off the last over with one wicket left, and Lance Klusener hit the first two balls for four. But a tie sent Australia through to the final and they got run out looking for the single when both batsmen ended up at the same end with Alan Donald ball watching.

Then, the very next World Cup in 2003, they miscalculated the Duckworth Lewis score and played out the final balls before they went off for rain, thinking they were going through as scores stood, but actually needed to score another run and so tied the game and, again, a tie knocked them out. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:45 pm 

Not sure where to put this, however it's either a FA choke or something more sinster. When Chesterfield played an illegible player against us, we were told to replay the match. Now Barnsley have fielded an illegible player they have been thrown out. FA hypocrites.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67486563

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:36 pm 

Are snooker and darts sport?