THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EFL Highlights Show ITV
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:04 am 

Good grief what a pile of shit.

15 mins of highlights from Plymouth v Huddersfield - 28 mins into the hour and a half show and they're STILL covering the Plymouth match?

I get each week they'll try to cover a certain team but good grief it's going on a bit here.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:11 am 

Alby39 wrote:

15 mins of highlights from Plymouth v Huddersfield - 28 mins into the hour and a half show and they're STILL covering the Plymouth match?

I get each week they'll try to cover a certain team but good grief it's going on a bit here.

Agree it was utter shite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:17 am 

WellDon wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Agree it was utter shite.

EFL coverage has been shite for years and somehow only seems to get worse. Very frustrating because there is clearly a significant audience/demand for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:28 am 

I'm not sure what people expect with EFL highlights.

A 90-minute slot is probably more like 65 once the ad breaks are taken out. There are normally 36 games to cover. Even if you took out all the studio analysis completely and gave every game equal time, that's still less than two minutes a game. You're never going to get highlights beyond the goals, red cards and penalties.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:33 am 

Ormeau wrote:
Very frustrating because there is clearly a significant audience/demand for it.

I'm not sure about this. The EFL highlights package has bounced around from one channel to another for years now. That gives me the impression that there aren't many channels that want it long-term because it isn't giving them the viewing figures they expect, or the return on however much they have to pay for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:37 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
Very frustrating because there is clearly a significant audience/demand for it.

I'm not sure about this. The EFL highlights package has bounced around from one channel to another for years now. That gives me the impression that there aren't many channels that want it long-term because it isn't giving them the viewing figures they expect, or the return on however much they have to pay for it.

Perhaps - although the growth of alternative coverage like the Not the top 20 podcast (very good btw) gives me the impression that EFL content is in demand. You make a valid point about cost/return. I do think that is partly due to the time slots/channels the programme tends to be on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:45 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
I'm not sure what people expect with EFL highlights.

A 90-minute slot is probably more like 65 once the ad breaks are taken out. There are normally 36 games to cover. Even if you took out all the studio analysis completely and gave every game equal time, that's still less than two minutes a game. You're never going to get highlights beyond the goals, red cards and penalties.

Nobody here is asking for any more than the last sentence, that's how it's always been. I'm asking why we're getting what was about 35 minutes of coverage from one game? Every week its normal to cover a specific story/game, that's happened for years, but normally extends to extended coverage, Clem or someone doing a few quick interviews and a snappy montage, and 3 mins of analysis.
We had 15 mins highlights, and 5 min interviews with Schumacher, Warnock then interviews with Huddersfields captain and 2 Plymouth players. When you're still talking about this game during the League One highlights, I am left questioning why? Move on!

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:55 am 

Ormeau wrote:
Perhaps - although the growth of alternative coverage like the Not the top 20 podcast (very good btw) gives me the impression that EFL content is in demand. You make a valid point about cost/return. I do think that is partly due to the time slots/channels the programme tends to be on.

I guess the type of content in demand - in depth analysis and more extensive highlights - is totally incompatible with 'normal' TV when there are 72 teams to cover.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:37 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

I guess the type of content in demand - in depth analysis and more extensive highlights - is totally incompatible with 'normal' TV when there are 72 teams to cover.

Totally agree. I certainly wouldn't be interested in at least 71 of those teams. It's too big an area to cover.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:36 pm 

The other original version on Quest ( I think ) is better. Just shows goals with no rubbish comments between. Also earlier.