THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Womens World Cup
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:34 am 

I am working from home today and the opening game has been on between New Zealand and Norway. Pretty decent game to watch but I suspect neither team will progress very far, which is a fall for previous winners Norway.

The commentators drew my attention the most by the constant describing of everything as brilliant or superb, a trait I have also noticed whilst watching WSL games this season. NZ goal was well worked with a good cross and a nice finish but was pretty regulation. Was described as 'Brilliant' and 'Probably the best goal you will see the tournament'. It was neither.

A Player missed a shot from just inside the area, pretty standard in a way you will see in every game this season. Described as a brilliant shot. Not that the technique was slightly off of that the player didnt quite catch it how they wanted but brilliant despite missing the goal from 10 yards.

A defender stuck a hopeful leg out in a goal mouth scramble and the attacker missed the shot. Regulation stuff. Described a super defending. It wasnt.

Just a couple of dozens of similar examples

Why is this? are the commentators terrified of appearing negative? Im sure the players dont want this, I'm sure I saw an interview with perhaps Beth Mead where she specifically said they want to be held accountable to the same standards as the male game with rubbish being called so.

In fairness the analysis team after were a but more circumspect regarding some of the shortcomings and good things that happened in the game but the bar is being set so low by those who deliver it to the masses it must be very frustrating for players who want to push not just themselves but the entire arena of womens football to the next level.

Post subject: Re: Womens World Cup
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:31 pm 

It's a similar thing I've noticed down the years when a non League side plays a Premier League side in the FA Cup.

I remember when Marine played Spurs and Dion Dublin was calling every basic collection from the Marine goalkeeper superb distribution and praising how alert he is. These guys aren't special needs kids who've never kicked a ball before, they're lads who know how to play football just at a different level. They also hot the bar from close to the half way line, he was way too OTT in analysing how good a shot it was. Was clearly hit and hope, any one of us could do that.

It comes across as condescending in the end, to me.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:39 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
It's a similar thing I've noticed down the years when a non League side plays a Premier League side in the FA Cup.

I remember when Marine played Spurs and Dion Dublin was calling every basic collection from the Marine goalkeeper superb distribution and praising how alert he is. These guys aren't special needs kids who've never kicked a ball before, they're lads who know how to play football just at a different level. They also hot the bar from close to the half way line, he was way too OTT in analysing how good a shot it was. Was clearly hit and hope, any one of us could do that.

It comes across as condescending in the end, to me.

It erodes credibility for me. Womens football stands up in its own right and should not be compared to mens football. When new viewers or sceptical viewers or even dinosaurs who cant help but compare it to mens football are continually told that bang average or even rank rubbish is great play or 'brilliant', credibility is stretched and yes, is utterly condescending.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:41 pm 

Magpie wrote:
It erodes credibility for me. Womens football stands up in its own right and should not be compared to mens football. When new viewers or sceptical viewers or even dinosaurs who cant help but compare it to mens football are continually told they bang average or even rank rubbish is great play or 'brilliant', credibility is stretched and yes, is utterly condescending.

I agree. Women's football's only major problem right now is its media coverage IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:03 pm 

Which is why I always turn off the sound when watching sport. Naff commentary is endemic in all sport, but particularly bad in football.

As for the games I thought New Zealand and Norway were pretty good, but Australia and Ireland rather poor.

It was very obvious that the Aussies have a bloke coach from all the signs of the less desirable tweaks from the male game creeping into their style.

I would like to see a ban on male coaches in the women's game. They are a bad influence and not needed as there are plenty of good female coaches available.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:25 pm 

I get back to NZ on Wednesday, may try to get to a game. Will be interesting to see if there is a feel of a major event.

Apparently a few punters at my pub are already 'women's soccer experts'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:23 am 

Watching England v Haiti, which tbh is a dreadful game, the continuation of over the top commentary is still ongoing, Haiti take a short corner, described as brilliant, when in fact it almost went tits up, the following cross into the box was a brilliant, brilliant delivery, as the ball sailed over everybody and out for a goal kick.

I’m going for a walk in the rain, seems a much better option than watching this

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:20 am 

Have the England game on in the background as I potter around the house doing small chores. Occasionally look at the score. To be honist, what I have seen, England don't look too bad. But as I say, only really looking at the score.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:32 pm 

Further to my comments re male coaches, I have done a count and find there are only 11 female coached teams in the tournament out of 32 teams. Deplorable !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:54 am 

England looking good so far, 1-0 great strike Lauren James

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit