THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:11 pm 

MJB wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Are you Manning in disguise?

If I were really Manning, I'd be talking more about "good behaviours" and noting that "we don't get too up, and we don't get too down" when posting on here. Not sure if he trotted out these soundbites in interviews at MK, but they generally get used in every interview here at Oxford. You could ask him what his favourite colour is and he'd manage to get those comments in I think!

I'm always intrigued by what Manning's reputation is generally at MK. When he joined us, one of your local journos talked to our local media and said that he was still very measured and calm in interviews as your Coach, even when going through a terrible run which eventually lost him his job. Almost to a fault.

(As you might have guessed), I really like his calm and considered approached to the media and fan engagement, but I'm guessing that it rubbed some fans up the wrong way when things were going badly?

Still, I certainly prefer that to how Karl Robinson was when things were going badly here, when he would just blame everyone but himself and generally get less and less coherent.

Manning didn’t pump his fists on the touchline; ergo, he was a shit manager. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:02 pm 

Manning was, and still is, fondly thought of here.

I argue that it was right to get rid, and probably too late..
Not because he's a bad manager, but because it simply wasn't working and wasn't looking like getting close to working.
But that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach, I think the previous year was more a showing of what a good coach he is than last season. There was much more at hand than just results.
As for his interviews, that is literally what he said here. Not too low, not too high etc :D what a bloke

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:20 pm 

I think you’ll find Liam Manning to be a very good coach, give him the right tools and he will be successful, as he was in his first season here.

It wasn’t his fault the club decided to rip apart that squad and sell the family silver, only to be replaced with dreadful quality Aldi bargain bin players, to then expect him to repeat the feat the following season, with a team a shadow of the previous one.

Manning was culled because of poor results, his replacement Jackson, also failed with the squad who were just not good enough, Pep Guardiola would not have prevented us being relegated.

Now here we are in league 2, struggling again with a tactical dinosaur that is Graham Alexander.

Stick with Manning, I’m sure he will get you to at least the play offs this season

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:16 am 

keyser soze wrote:
MJB wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Are you Manning in disguise?

If I were really Manning, I'd be talking more about "good behaviours" and noting that "we don't get too up, and we don't get too down" when posting on here. Not sure if he trotted out these soundbites in interviews at MK, but they generally get used in every interview here at Oxford. You could ask him what his favourite colour is and he'd manage to get those comments in I think!

I'm always intrigued by what Manning's reputation is generally at MK. When he joined us, one of your local journos talked to our local media and said that he was still very measured and calm in interviews as your Coach, even when going through a terrible run which eventually lost him his job. Almost to a fault.

(As you might have guessed), I really like his calm and considered approached to the media and fan engagement, but I'm guessing that it rubbed some fans up the wrong way when things were going badly?

Still, I certainly prefer that to how Karl Robinson was when things were going badly here, when he would just blame everyone but himself and generally get less and less coherent.

Manning didn’t pump his fists on the touchline; ergo, he was a shit manager. 8)

Much to my own personal annoyance, a section of our supporter are getting Manning to engage in that goddawful Klopp-style punching the air to the fans after a win.

Manning looks like he’d rather eat his own hands each time he reluctantly joins in. I think it might become a resigning matter for him!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:20 am 

Alby39 wrote:

Not because he's a bad manager, but because it simply wasn't working and wasn't looking like getting close to working.
But that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach, I think the previous year was more a showing of what a good coach he is than last season. There was much more at hand than just results.
As for his interviews, that is literally what he said here. Not too low, not too high etc :D what a bloke

I’m usually one for stability in terms of giving managers time, but I think fans can sometimes see when the writing is on the wall quicker than Boards too. Sometimes you can just FEEL that things aren’t going to turn round, despite the good qualities that coaches might have.

Glad the cliches are well used classics. There’s also much talk of his excellent PowerPoint presentations to ‘excite’ interview boards and new signings. It really must be something :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:29 am 

Scribble wrote:
I think you’ll find Liam Manning to be a very good coach, give him the right tools and he will be successful, as he was in his first season here.

It wasn’t his fault the club decided to rip apart that squad and sell the family silver, only to be replaced with dreadful quality Aldi bargain bin players, to then expect him to repeat the feat the following season, with a team a shadow of the previous one.

Manning was culled because of poor results, his replacement Jackson, also failed with the squad who were just not good enough, Pep Guardiola would not have prevented us being relegated.

Now here we are in league 2, struggling again with a tactical dinosaur that is Graham Alexander.

Stick with Manning, I’m sure he will get you to at least the play offs this season

Thanks for this. He’s certainly getting backed at the moment, so hopefully that coaching potential brings rewards too.

When he was down to the last three candidates for the job here, it was felt that although the two others had more promotional success on their CV, Manning had the greater potential. Seems very much in the mould of a more modern approach to management certainly - I also cannot see Eddie Howe when I see him in photos/videos, but that probably says more about my lack of imagination that any real likeness.

Good luck with getting out of League 2. It’s such an odd league - plenty of chances to go up but the range in sizes of clubs (and their footballing philosophies, or lack of them) makes it difficult to know how much actual football to play, or whether to just play in pragmatic, direct style. As ever, I guess it’s a bit of balance between the two which generally gets rewarded.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:58 am 

MJB wrote:

This is one of the best summaries of KR I think I've ever read.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:31 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
MJB wrote:

His media buzzword for the last few years with us was “clarity”, which was used every other word during his increasingly incomprehensible diatribes. Who said irony was dead?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:48 am 

MJB wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

I’m usually one for stability in terms of giving managers time, but I think fans can sometimes see when the writing is on the wall quicker than Boards too. Sometimes you can just FEEL that things aren’t going to turn round, despite the good qualities that coaches might have.

Glad the cliches are well used classics. There’s also much talk of his excellent PowerPoint presentations to ‘excite’ interview boards and new signings. It really must be something :lol:

Yep. He should've been the guy that stabilised our team to consistent top ten finishes in L1 again minimum. When Russell Martin left, he came in and really settled thongs down and put smiles on faces. Quickly won fans over and backed it up. Last season, the writing was on the wall but not before a chance to change. There are plenty of good managers that have been replaced reluctantly because results just weren't happening and that was one of them, for me. He wasn't without fault but ultimately, we failed him and I think the club know that. We shot ourselves in the foot and spoilt a potentially long and fruitful partnership.

Hopefully he stays there for many years into the new ground.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:55 am 

MJB wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
MJB wrote:

His media buzzword for the last few years with us was “clarity”, which was used every other word during his increasingly incomprehensible diatribes. Who said irony was dead?

"Different class". Now there's an idea...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next