THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes 2023
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:09 pm 

It's been a brilliant series, and I'm sure the final test will still be entertaining despite not being the decider we deserve. I hope (although it may be hard right now) people can look beyond Australia retaining the urn and see what this series has achieved. It's another step forward for this extremely talented England team, and it's got people who had no prior interest in cricket absolutely hooked. The future of test cricket is certainly safe for now.

As for the issue with the weather, it is a part of cricket. It's part of the tactical thinking to plan ahead for the game, so I can see that side of it. However I am frustrated like everyone else when a situation like the one we've seen today occurs. It has to be said, 30 overs in 2 days is extremely rare, but a problem nonetheless. There's no easy solution but I would suggest a simple place to start would be to bowl the maximum overs in each session regardless of how long it takes. This would also stop over rates dropping and teams slowing the game down constantly to play for draws. I can't get my head around stopping games at 6:30 when there's loads of over left to be played and the light is clearly fine. On a similar note, I'd also like to see some kind of clock brought in to limit the time between each ball. I'm a big fan of tennis and the impact of a serve clock between points has improved the pace of the game massively and made it far better to watch. If there's nothing to stop teams taking their time bowling, then they'll continue to do it.

Anyway, as others have said, this series isn't over. We still have a chance to draw this - and I've got every confidence we will.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:14 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
It's been a brilliant series, and I'm sure the final test will still be entertaining despite not being the decider we deserve. I hope (although it may be hard right now) people can look beyond Australia retaining the urn and see what this series has achieved. It's another step forward for this extremely talented England team, and it's got people who had no prior interest in cricket absolutely hooked. The future of test cricket is certainly safe for now.

As for the issue with the weather, it is a part of cricket. It's part of the tactical thinking to plan ahead for the game, so I can see that side of it. However I am frustrated like everyone else when a situation like the one we've seen today occurs. It has to be said, 30 overs in 2 days is extremely rare, but a problem nonetheless. There's no easy solution but I would suggest a simple place to start would be to bowl the maximum overs in each session regardless of how long it takes. This would also stop over rates dropping and teams slowing the game down constantly to play for draws. I can't get my head around stopping games at 6:30 when there's loads of over left to be played and the light is clearly fine. On a similar note, I'd also like to see some kind of clock brought in to limit the time between each ball. I'm a big fan of tennis and the impact of a serve clock between points has improved the pace of the game massively and made it far better to watch. If there's nothing to stop teams taking their time bowling, then they'll continue to do it.

Anyway, as others have said, this series isn't over. We still have a chance to draw this - and I've got every confidence we will.

Very good post, save for the potential issue of bad light affecting the bowling of the full complement of overs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:07 pm 

An additional reason test matches can't just run on until they finish is that there are usually county games scheduled to be played shortly after the test ends..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:03 am 

keyser soze wrote:
An additional reason test matches can't just run on until they finish is that there are usually county games scheduled to be played shortly after the test ends..

Believe it or not, there was a full programme of Championship games being played concurrently with the Test match. Almost all of them started at exactly the same time.

The main logjam is to try to fit all the proper cricket in before the Crisp Cricket starts next week. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:45 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Believe it or not, there was a full programme of Championship games being played concurrently with the Test match. Almost all of them started at exactly the same time.

The main logjam is to try to fit all the proper cricket in before the Crisp Cricket starts next week. :lol:

I like crisp cricket, the challenge is to eat a multi bag of crisps on the shirt of each team of each match.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:02 pm 

Another fascinating game. This series is brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:08 pm 

At the end of a brilliant day's play, Stuart Broad has announced he's retiring from test cricket at the end of this match.

Sad to see it end, but what an incredible career he's had. Nice that he's ending on a high

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:24 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
At the end of a brilliant day's play, Stuart Broad has announced he's retiring from test cricket at the end of this match.

Sad to see it end, but what an incredible career he's had. Nice that he's ending on a high

I'm going tomorrow. The atmosphere when Stuey is bowling is going to be fantastic. It'll be an emotional day one way or the other. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:34 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

I'm going tomorrow. The atmosphere when Stuey is bowling is going to be fantastic. It'll be an emotional day one way or the other. :D

Enjoy it - you definitely picked the right day to go! Here's hoping he can bowl Warner one last time...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:52 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

Enjoy it - you definitely picked the right day to go! Here's hoping he can bowl Warner one last time...

The mate I'm going with is on his way to Asda as we speak to try and buy white headbands. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next