THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: The Ashes 2023
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:43 pm 

So it's nearly time then. Can't wait to see how Bazball pays off when it matters most. One things for sure, we've got an exciting 7 weeks or so ahead...

Post subject: Re: The Ashes 2023
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:15 am 

As much as I hope we are about to stick it to them 'I've got a bad feeling about this' :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:35 am 

We may well lose - the Aussies are a great team. But we'll give it a proper go and it'll be fun. Bring it on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:22 pm 

Was all going so well. I guess that's why Australia are world champions, they don't panic and just stick to their plan. They'll be extremely pleased with 3 wickets at lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:07 pm 

Two hundred on the board and our two best batsmen in.

Critical time now. This could be anything from 250 to 500.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:07 pm 

England have declared 393-8.

That's a MASSIVE call

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:55 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

That's a MASSIVE call

Whether it pays off or not tonight, I'm not fond of the tactic to be honest. As it's just going to increase the calls to reduce Test Cricket to 4 day games.

'Bazball' may well be entertaining, but it's just turning Test Cricket into a lengthier version of T20 / The Hundred which is a shame for me. It's taking away the patient, chess like element of the longer form of the game that was it's unique appeal and is just making it the same bish bash bosh game as all the shorter versions

Rubbish. England are one Test team playing this way. Watching the contrast in styles is one of the most interesting things about this series for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:25 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

That's a MASSIVE call

Whether it pays off or not tonight, I'm not fond of the tactic to be honest. As it's just going to increase the calls to reduce Test Cricket to 4 day games.

'Bazball' may well be entertaining, but it's just turning Test Cricket into a lengthier version of T20 / The Hundred which is a shame for me. It's taking away the patient, chess like element of the longer form of the game that was it's unique appeal and is just making it the same bish bash bosh game as all the shorter versions

Rubbish. England are one Test team playing this way. Watching the contrast in styles is one of the most interesting things about this series for me.

Not rubbish. Valid opinion that you disagree with. And do so in your typically dismissive fashion.
England might well just be 'one team' playing Bazball. But the calls for reducing Test cricket to 4 days have been growing louder even before 'Bazball'. And more and more batters from all nations are focusing more on being big hitters and quick scorers so they are attractive to all the different T20's around the world. Fewer and fewer developing who look to value their wicket and bat for long lengths of time. That trend is already well in place. Declaring on day one of a Test match is just another worrying rung on the ladder for me towards the inevitable move to 4 day Tests.

It's my 'valid opinion' that you're talking rubbish. :lol:

I thought the declaration was the right decision. Avoid the new ball which was two overs away and try and get a wicket at the the end of the day (which didn't work out but that's hindsight for you).

But nah, let's make Ollie and Jimmy face a new ball to get about 15 more runs on the board. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:39 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:

That's a MASSIVE call

Nah, it's fucking brilliant.

You are wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:52 pm 

He was. But eight wickets down, new ball on the way and a chance to test the Aussie openers for 20mins? That's a no-brainer IMO.

Root can be playing as well as he likes, and he is, but it doesn't do much good if Ollie and Jimmy get done by the new ball and he hasn't got any partners left.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next