THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes 2023
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:41 pm 

This is why Johnny shouldn't be wicket keeper, the longest break between him keeping and batting and he is batting at his best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm 

Poor Jonny, stranded on 99!

What an innings overall though, we'll remember it for a very long time!

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:34 pm 

After what happened at Lords I loved Bairstow and Anderson running several byes to Carey :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:28 pm 

Brilliant performance by England. Just need enough good weather over the next two days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:41 pm 

Can't fault England. It's been a brilliant performance with both bat and ball. It's out of our hands now. If the weather goes our way, I've got no doubt we'll wrap this up comfortably.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:49 pm 

This'll be a sad way for the series to end but it'll take a miracle for there to be any play tonight now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:42 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
This'll be a sad way for the series to end but it'll take a miracle for there to be any play tonight now.

The series hasn’t ended. We can still square it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:55 pm 

I’m not an avid Cricket fan but I’ll occasionally get into it every now and then and I kind of got into these Ashes.

But the whole thing is just totally pointless if you’re dependent on the weather. I pretty much watched all of Friday’s action but now see it was a complete waste of time. How can you get excited about any wickets/runs when the rain can just make it utterly pointless.

Don’t know how genuine Cricket fans feel, but in my opinion it needs to be reviewed. There should be no day limit. Both teams should get 2 innings (or maybe just 1 each) regardless if it goes for 3 days or 8.

It’s like playing 80 minutes of football and the ref calling it off when you’re 5-0 up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:35 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
I’m not an avid Cricket fan but I’ll occasionally get into it every now and then and I kind of got into these Ashes.

But the whole thing is just totally pointless if you’re dependent on the weather. I pretty much watched all of Friday’s action but now see it was a complete waste of time. How can you get excited about any wickets/runs when the rain can just make it utterly pointless.

Don’t know how genuine Cricket fans feel, but in my opinion it needs to be reviewed. There should be no day limit. Both teams should get 2 innings (or maybe just 1 each) regardless if it goes for 3 days or 8.

It’s like playing 80 minutes of football and the ref calling it off when you’re 5-0 up.

I know it seems nonsense at times but the weather element really is part of the game. It’s an additional variable that is part of the nuance of test cricket. You have to adjust your approach to the weather conditions at times. Nevertheless what has happened here, with most of the last two days lost to rain, is very unusual.

There were timeless tests in the past (where you keep playing to a conclusion, no matter how long) but the last one was in 1939 , and even that had to be called a draw after nine days play as the England team had to catch their boat home from South Africa. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:51 pm 

Hm. The extortionate amount I've paid to go to the Oval next Sunday suddenly doesn't look as good value. :lol:

It's such a shame, but England have had chances to win every match, and the bowling on Saturday afternoon was fruity dogshit, quite frankly.

On the upside, I said at the start of the series that it would be a bloody good one from an entertainment perspective whatever the result, and on that front it's certainly delivered. One of the best series ever, I reckon.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next