THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:02 pm 

After a rubbish day, that has properly cheered me up.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:05 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:

Same as Liverpool bottling the league again has cheered me up over the last few weeks. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:20 pm 

Plum wrote:
This season has been a nightmare for injuries - up to a record number of about 70 now! We finished 3rd last season and reached both cup finals. The main reason they're down to 8th this year is all the injuries. It just rarely gets mentioned because other more derogatory narratives are much preferred.

Oh come on. Aston Villa, Chelsea and Newcastle have all been hammered by injuries too

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:32 pm 

Plum wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

Same as Liverpool bottling the league again has cheered me up over the last few weeks. :lol:

Bottled the league? Liverpool are nowhere near the level of Manchester City or Arsenal and haven't been at any point this season. The fact they stayed in the hunt so long is overachieving, if anything. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:33 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Plum wrote:
This season has been a nightmare for injuries - up to a record number of about 70 now! We finished 3rd last season and reached both cup finals. The main reason they're down to 8th this year is all the injuries. It just rarely gets mentioned because other more derogatory narratives are much preferred.

Oh come on. Aston Villa, Chelsea and Newcastle have all been hammered by injuries too

Well, for a start, two of those are within a couple of points of United, or have the same points, and have only just gone above them and are equally as far from the CL race. So the injuries have probably scuppered the hopes of all 3.

I don't know about Villa's injuries, but I highly doubt they've spent much of the season with one department decimated. Amount of injuries is one thinking. If spread OK they're manageable. Getting so many at the same time in the same position is the most debilitating for any club.

Obviously there's a lot more problems at United over the last decade that's the reasons we've not challenged for PL / CL post-Fergie. But the decline from top 3 and both domestic finals to what's happened this season has mostly been the huge amount of injuries. There's no doubt about that. We wouldn't have been challenging the likes of City or Arsenal, obviously. Because of those other problems. But no way would we be down at 8th.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:14 pm 

Plum wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
Plum wrote:

Well, for a start, two of those are within a couple of points of United, or have the same points, and have only just gone above them and are equally as far from the CL race. So the injuries have probably scuppered the hopes of all 3.

I don't know about Villa's injuries
, but I highly doubt they've spent much of the season with one department decimated. Amount of injuries is one thinking. If spread OK they're manageable. Getting so many at the same time in the same position is the most debilitating for any club.
Obviously there's a lot more problems at United over the last decade that's the reasons we've not challenged for PL / CL post-Fergie. But the decline from top 3 and both domestic finals to what's happened this season has mostly been the huge amount of injuries. There's no doubt about that. We wouldn't have been challenging the likes of City or Arsenal, obviously. Because of those other problems. But no way would we be down at 8th.

Because the manager and fans just get on with it a no excuse culture there. Down to their 5th choice centre back earlier this season, playing wide men in central midfield, full backs on the wing as 5 wingers out injured, 3 ACL injuries this season the list goes on.

Every single team has been depleted by injuries this year some (Spurs, Newcastle and Man Utd) like to make the most noise about it

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:31 pm 

Plum wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Plum wrote:
Scribble wrote:
Crystal Palac - 0 Man Utd 67 minutes played, what an absolute shambles Utd are, gutless performance

Also a squad gutted by injuries.
Only 1, half fit, 36 year old CB in the whole squad. No fit LB's for most of season. Only DM in squad having to fill in at CB. All 3 most senior attacking players - Rashford, Martial, Fernandes - all out. :(

Ah, I'm convinced. A 4-0 defeat and a finish outside the top six is suddenly understandable

Not saying they shouldn't have shown more fight to avoid such a heavy defeat against the likes of Palace - but a squad increasingly decimated by injuries is quite clearly the main reason for such a low league position compared to last year.

We've got 4 equally tough / tougher matches left so it's not going to get any better before this f****** season finally ends.

It's those pesky Glazers I tells ya

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:36 pm 

Man C, Liverpool and Arsenal are the top three for a reason: clear philosophies that runs through boardroom recruitment manager and players.

Man U and Chelsea are fucking basket cases: throwing good money after bad at players and managers with no coherent plan. That's why they're as shit as they are.

I'm interested to see how Ratcliffe instils a new ethos within Man U. Chelsea, on the other hand, will remain a team full of ladybits, run by ladybits for ladybits.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:45 pm 

Chelsea have players like Mudryk and Enzo, they're onto bigger tingz

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:52 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Man C, Liverpool and Arsenal are the top three for a reason: clear philosophies that runs through boardroom recruitment manager and players.

Man U and Chelsea are fucking basket cases: throwing good money after bad at players and managers with no coherent plan. That's why they're as shit as they are.

I'm interested to see how Ratcliffe instils a new ethos within Man U. Chelsea, on the other hand, will remain a team full of ladybits, run by ladybits for ladybits.

Completely agree.
United have been terribly run since the Glazers took over, and only the genius of Fergie kept them winning major titles / reaching CL finals and delayed the decline until his retirement.

That's certainly why United are so far behind the top two (that and the 115 charges from the cheats!) But the nightmare injuries are the reason we've dropped as low as we have this season. But for those, it would have been the usual battle for CL spots with the teams in 3rd-5th.

Definitely interesting to see how Ratcliffe / INEOS goes about rebuilding. They're making some good appointments to address the off field footballing side such as recruitment. And the youth sides have been getting strong again for the last few years now all the way down the age groups. But it's going to take some time to rebuild the first team squad capable of getting back to challenging for the PL / CL.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 58  Next