THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:51 pm 

They deserved a point but City were shocking. And even so, could've and should've had 5 more goals

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:50 am 

Watched Luton last night over our stream. Was end-to-end and a really good watch. Nobody is expecting Luton to play like Man City, or Barcelona- look at Burnley and Sheffield United. Their attempts at "survivalist football" were really proving fruitful against a superior Arsenal. It was more than watchable; as a complete neutral, it was enthralling!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:27 am 

Can someone please explain to me the England Women's game last night? It was a Nations League game, which somehow winning the group means you qualify for the Olympics?

But England don't compete at the Olympics, Great Britain do, which includes Scotland who were in the same group as England? I am so confused. So the game last night, surely it was in Scotland's interest to not even compete and just let in as many goals as possible, because them losing meant they also qualified for the Olympics?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:43 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Can someone please explain to me the England Women's game last night? It was a Nations League game, which somehow winning the group means you qualify for the Olympics?

But England don't compete at the Olympics, Great Britain do, which includes Scotland who were in the same group as England? I am so confused. So the game last night, surely it was in Scotland's interest to not even compete and just let in as many goals as possible, because them losing meant they also qualified for the Olympics?

England were the nominated nation for whatever reason (probably coefficients) and so only their positioning mattered for Olympic Qualifying. The controversy around the entire group was around the Olympic Qualification and the Netherlands would have been motivated to win big in order to stop Scotland throwing it and allowing England to win the group.

It's a big qualification mess to be honest, as confusing as the whole Nations League teams in the European Championships Qualifying Play Offs despite not finishing in the correct spot in their qualifying group.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:48 am 

DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

England were the nominated nation for whatever reason (probably coefficients) and so only their positioning mattered for Olympic Qualifying. The controversy around the entire group was around the Olympic Qualification and the Netherlands would have been motivated to win big in order to stop Scotland throwing it and allowing England to win the group.

It's a big qualification mess to be honest, as confusing as the whole Nations League teams in the European Championships Qualifying Play Offs despite not finishing in the correct spot in their qualifying group.

That is so bizarre. I've never heard of Olympic qualification, I thought every country was included for every sport?

Is this the same for the mens GB Football team? Did the Nations League work the same way for which ever GB team (England, Scotland or Wales) was nominated?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:55 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
I've never heard of Olympic qualification, I thought every country was included for every sport?

The world cup takes 4/5 weeks with 32 teams, imagine how long it would take with knocking on for 200.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:49 am 

DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

I don't follow the women's version so wasn't aware of all that until hearing about it yesterday. It seems crazy, and so easily avoidable given that draws often have stipulations keeping some apart. And surely that possible scenario was a perfect situation where the other Home Nations shouldn't have been allowed in the same group as England due to potential conflict of interests. With nothing to lose, and potential Olympic qualification to gain by being hammered by England in that last match, it certainly takes any kind of gloss off the scoreline and just makes it look like Scotland threw it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:39 pm 

Plum wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

I don't follow the women's version so wasn't aware of all that until hearing about it yesterday. It seems crazy, and so easily avoidable given that draws often have stipulations keeping some apart. And surely that possible scenario was a perfect situation where the other Home Nations shouldn't have been allowed in the same group as England due to potential conflict of interests. With nothing to lose, and potential Olympic qualification to gain by being hammered by England in that last match, it certainly takes any kind of gloss off the scoreline and just makes it look like Scotland threw it.

The Scottish goalie did her best.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:33 pm 

Casual Bystander wrote:
Plum wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Put the ball slightly high and you're going to score 9 out of 10 times in the women's game. I see so many goals described as 'worldies' that have taken 3-5 business days to actually reach the goal but the keeper is just never going to be able to get to it due to them playing in the same size goals as the mens game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:53 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Casual Bystander wrote:
Plum wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Put the ball slightly high and you're going to score 9 out of 10 times in the women's game. I see so many goals described as 'worldies' that have taken 3-5 business days to actually reach the goal but the keeper is just never going to be able to get to it due to them playing in the same size goals as the mens game.

True, but she was bad to the point of a few raised eyebrows.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 48  Next