THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 60 minute clock
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:25 pm 

This has raised it's head again. The current idea being floated in EFL circles is to adopt the policy used at the last World Cup which led to the long periods of added time.

So the alternative idea of the 60 minute clock is being mooted again.

Discuss.

I would have thought that if the EFL were considering it they would be running a trial alongside current games in order to test the feasibility of the idea. But I don't see any attempt to do it it, so I assume they are not interested in adopting it.

It seems to work ok in Rugby.

Post subject: Re: 60 minute clock
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:52 pm 

donmentor wrote:

A lot of things work in Rugby.

That's because it's a different sport.

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:15 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Oh I see, is that why refs are shown respect, players don't roll about on the floor pretending to be half dead, don't celebrate scoring like a load of demented monkeys, kick ball away to waste time, generally behave like spoilt brats or have to segregate their supporters.

A very different sport indeed. Heaven forbid we should ever copy them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:58 pm 

Rugby has 80 minutes, while football now has 5 subs and it will be abused, so actual time will be about 50 minutes. If referees actually followed the rules and added on the actual wasted time, then all the play acting will stop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:44 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Oh I see, is that why refs are shown respect, players don't roll about on the floor pretending to be half dead, don't celebrate scoring like a load of demented monkeys, kick ball away to waste time, generally behave like spoilt brats or have to segregate their supporters.

I've never got the whole 'be more like rugby'. Why not just watch rugby? Like all those people who don't care for the sport most all year until they flood the pubs for a couple of weeks just to watch their country in the Six Nations

If rugby has the same money, media attention and actual interest, I think we'd see a lot of the behaviour you dislike about football creep in. And let's not forget some of the awful culture amongst rugby players, particularly at private schools and universities...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:45 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:

I've never got the whole 'be more like rugby'. Why not just watch rugby? Like all those people who don't care for the sport most all year until they flood the pubs for a couple of weeks just to watch their country in the Six Nations

If rugby has the same money, media attention and actual interest, I think we'd see a lot of the behaviour you dislike about football creep in. And let's not forget some of the awful culture amongst rugby players, particularly at private schools and universities...

What awful culture amongst rugby players?

I enjoy both sports very much. Rugby is culturally a much better sport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:52 pm 

dons50 wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:

What awful culture amongst rugby players?

I enjoy both sports very much. Rugby is culturally a much better sport.

*some of the awful culture - wasn't trying to say everyone

But all the way from the Welsh RFU allegations to Israel Folau's comments to University of East Anglia (my old Uni) social events (worth a google) to the causal sexism and homophobia I'd constantly hear whenever showing Six Nations games or even worse during all Blacks or Warriors games over here in New Zealand.

Just a quick google and studies like this hardly show a strong inclusive culture (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... mens-rugby).

I know it is still in a minority, just like it is in football (which I'm saying doesn't have awful issues themselves). In the ground fan behaviour may be way above that of football, but the moral righteousness from rugby fans can do one in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:50 am 

donmentor wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Because its a slower game. Its stop start. Thus the flow isn't affected, which is why the stopped clock is perfect for rugby and not for football. Footballs relaxed rules mean gamesmanshipship, or game management is more flexible.

I'm all for game management and time wasting

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:42 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Because its a slower game. Its stop start. Thus the flow isn't affected, which is why the stopped clock is perfect for rugby and not for football. Footballs relaxed rules mean gamesmanshipship, or game management is more flexible.

I'm all for game management and time wasting

Completely agree with this. Football wouldn't be the same without controversy. Part of the reason why I have never really warmed to VAR. You win some, you lose some. I get the counter argument and I can't necessarily disagree with it, but it's all part of the game in my opinion and I hate the idea of cleansing it further.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:01 am 

The game does not stop for the clock. The clock stops for the game. So it would have no effect at all on the flow of the game.