The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:17 pm 

Dele Alli

I’m quite sad at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:01 pm 

There is a few for me:

Rory McIlroy - He is from my neck of the woods (or at least where I grew up) and has been NI's greatest sports person since Georgie Best. Obviously things are going well for him at present, but a few years ago he was in a bad spot in terms of his excellent standards. Great to see him back at the top.

Marcus Rashford - Rashford was always one of the more likable premier league footballers but the campaigning work he has done around free school meals really made me appreciate him. His struggles with United and England were well documented over the last 2 years so it is nice to see him playing so well at present right now. We need more like Rashford in the game - long may his good form continue.

Johnny Sexton - If anyone deserves to win the Rugby World Cup its this man here. 37 years old now and most definitely in his last hurrah - yet still arguably the best out-half in the Northern Hemisphere.

And of course just like Dons 50 said Dele Alli - When he was breaking through I told all my friends (they all support traditional big 6 teams, Rangers or Celtic) that Dele would be in the running for a Ballon D'or one day. They ridiculed me for months. Fast forward 18months and he was putting up sensational numbers at Spurs and winning back to back young player of the year awards. His downfall has been sad to watch and I often wonder if there is something else going on there that we won't hear about (personal/family problems etc).

I also like to keep an eye on former Dons that came across really well during their time at the club. Twine and Darling being two obvious ones but others include; Bamford, the Baldocks, Ben Reeves, Luke Chadwick and Dave Martin (easy to keep an eye on these days :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:16 pm 

This is an excellent idea for a thread and before I give it more detailed thought, I just want to say that i love Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow and I want to have their ginger, middle order, high strike rate babies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:41 pm 

Andy Murray. His win at MK Dons in 2013 was up there with the finest things I've ever watched in my life.

He's become a bit of a Ladybit lately but Tyson Fury. When he fought Whyte in 2018 and was on the deck, I seriously sobered up. I was the drunkest I'd been in years watching that, and when he got up I'd sobered up in disbelief. Stellar.

I know you said individuals, not team sports, but Gianluca Vialli. I felt like a member of my family passed away when he went.

Viktor Krum, Bulgarian Quidditch seeker. One of the 90s' finest and most era defining players. The Ronaldinho of Quidditch.

Karl Robinson. He's like my dad.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:25 pm 

Selby. 147. In the final.

And he's still 9-8 down.

Fucking hell.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:07 am 

Ben Duckett (Cricket), Robert McIntyre (Golf), Cam Norrie (Tennis), Sophia Floersch (Motor Racing).

Bit of a weird one, but Dan Micciche, any team he's involved with. Clearly didn't work here, but every time I've spoken to him since he left he's been nothing but a thoroughly good bloke.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:00 am 

I have closely followed Justin Rose since he burst onto the scene as an amatuar at The Open, then missed cut after cut when he turned professional. But he kept trying until eventually becoming one of our best Ryder Cup players.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:13 pm 

I started this thread (with a post now lost) referencing the snooker player, Jack Lisowksi.

He's very highly regarded - often described as 'the most talented current player yet to win a ranking title'. And had come close on plenty of occasions, losing 6 finals. At one stage 2 or 3 years ago it felt surely only a matter of time before he finally won that elusive tournament as he was regularly getting to the later stages, even finals, but always just falling short.

However he's having a terrible last season or two, and has recently fallen out of the Top 16 for the first time in years. It's really frustrating as a fan of his (who emotionally overinvests!), and that title win has never felt farther away. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:44 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Andy Murray. His win at MK Dons in 2013 was up there with the finest things I've ever watched in my life.

He's become a bit of a Ladybit lately but Tyson Fury. When he fought Whyte in 2018 and was on the deck, I seriously sobered up. I was the drunkest I'd been in years watching that, and when he got up I'd sobered up in disbelief. Stellar.

I know you said individuals, not team sports, but Gianluca Vialli. I felt like a member of my family passed away when he went.

Viktor Krum, Bulgarian Quidditch seeker. One of the 90s' finest and most era defining players. The Ronaldinho of Quidditch.

Karl Robinson. He's like my dad.

I must've been drunk when I wrote this because I get furious when people confused Whyte and Wilder and look what I gone and did

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
I must've been drunk when I wrote this because I get furious when people confused Whyte and Wilder and look what I gone and did

No harm done. They're both big dossers anyway.