THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:54 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
BuckDon wrote:
FIFA is full of institutionalised corruption. Footballs moral compass went years ago.

What's worse, we have the likes of David Beckham and Gary Neville taking huge sums of money to forego their integrity and to promote the World Cup.

For any Tom, Dick & Harry, the millions on offer may make you turn a blind eye to your beliefs, but these guys are already multi multi millionaires. I think it's disgusting and is a big slap in the face.

Money talks. Always has and I can't see it changing any time soon.
This.

The new documentary on Netflix about the corruption in FIFA is worth a watch - "It's still, by far, the biggest sports corruption scandal that we've ever had..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0UlWZNp6cI

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:25 am 

It is going to be interesting to see what happens off the back of this World Cup.

So far I've read and heard lots of praise from players, fans and journalists regarding the stadiums, the training facilities, the infrastructure, the hospitality, the lack of crime, the short distance between stadiums and much more. For me it is clear when the press all quickly jumped on their planes and when players wouldn't even take a yellow to wear an armband it became clear that many of the moral issues were not a priority and they would just crack on with their jobs.

This is in no way defending and praising the decision to host it in Qatar, nor does this in anyway say the work conditions, treatment of certain communities or whatever else was acceptable.

But for the powers that be will the success of this tournament so far lead to further tournaments in either Middle Eastern countries or maybe nations in South East Asia with money and modern infrastructure such as Singapore?

It will be interesting the reviews comparing this tournament to USA, Canada and Mexico - which is also a fucking farce by the way - due to distances between grounds, lack of public transport, local crime etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:29 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
But for the powers that be will the success of this tournament so far lead to further tournaments in either Middle Eastern countries or maybe nations in South East Asia with money and modern infrastructure such as Singapore?

There's a joint bid for 2034 that involves Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:47 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

There's a joint bid for 2034 that involves Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia.

Damn. That bid also includes Brunei, Mynamar, Cambodia, Phillipines and Laos

The 2030 bids are pretty weird too. Egypt, Greece and Israel together??? Spain, Portugal and Ukraine is just a joke, with the latter included as a pity inclusion. Not sure why Australia need Indonesia , a nation that has just banned sex outside of marriage, in their bid.

Lots of nations bidding for the next few World Cups where homosexuality is also outlawed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:58 am 

I doubt if there is any country in the world that the media would not be able find (or invent) some reason why an event should not be held there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:11 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:

The 2030 bids are pretty weird too. Egypt, Greece and Israel together??? Spain, Portugal and Ukraine is just a joke, with the latter included as a pity inclusion. Not sure why Australia need Indonesia , a nation that has just banned sex outside of marriage, in their bid.

Lots of nations bidding for the next few World Cups where homosexuality is also outlawed.

I think it's Egypt, Greece and Saudi Arabia bidding together.

Easy to get Saudi Arabia and Israel confused. :lol:

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:17 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

I think it's Egypt, Greece and Saudi Arabia bidding together.

Easy to get Saudi Arabia and Israel confused. :lol:

Sorry I merged that with the Israel, Bahrain and UAE expression of interest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:08 pm 

Obvs, all world cups should be played in England. Nowhere else.