THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:52 pm 

1 ball cricket would appear to be the true shortest form of the game but it isn't, in fact the truest form is to take something universal in all cricket and realise it is the pinnacle in choosing between the teams - let me introduce you to.....

Cricket: The Toss!

No explanation is needed you can envisage it now, the razzamatazz of the entrances, the colourful outfits, the uniforms, the celebrity cameos as two nations greatest tossers face off against each other in the ultimate sporting drama!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:15 pm 

Completely agree. Stop inventing cricket for people who don't like cricket and focus on the many, many people out there who do like traditional formats but find the game inaccessible, either to watch live or watch on TV. Day five at Trent Bridge proved the interest is still there.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:54 am 

All this is because IPL is so large and has so much revenue compared to each cricket boards variants around the world.

The CPL fails to bring in the revenue they wish it to, so will try and shorten matches- not for the excuse of attracting new audiences, but to allow the best players to jet in, play a game and bugger off.

At the minute, the CPL is a hard sell when not even the top West Indian talent play in it, and the overseas players are our county cricketers who do not play the longer formats. For example, Jake Lintott starred for one side. He's 28 and up until two years ago was a full-time teacher. Nothing against the bloke, but he'll hardly get bums on seats and various sponsors looking to plow money heavily into it.

I wouldn't read too much into this, it will be no different to the T10 that is played in Abu Dhabi. It will just become a regular tournament on the global circuit. It will be hugely financed, publicising the star signings of David Warner, Mohammad Amir and Rashid Khan, only for the players playing to be Laurie Evans, Ravi Bopara, Colin Munro and Tim Siefert.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 am 

I think so. They are clearly pushing through broadcast rights the shorter formats, but taking McCullum's recent comments about wanting to boost Test Cricket, alongwith what we've heard from Key since his appointment, the Test match series' are going nowhere.

From the commercial aspect, Test/The Hundred will provide the most revenue, then T20 (notice the least amount of games ever on Sky this year?).

Ironically, this has been a fantastic season up and down the country in T20 and arguably the best ever year, so for it to fall behind the 8-ball for civerage is such a shame. From a Northants perspective, Saif Zaib, a younger Asian talent at Northants scored 166 on Tuesday/Wednesday. One match shown on Sky, the other youtube. If just one of these were on BBC Two, think the positive role model/influence it could have been. It's such a shame Sky are the only rights holders.

We've seen variants come and go- we've seen the death of Super Sixes. I think these tournaments will arrive and disappear as quickly as the next is formed. Three will remain- T20, 50-over and 4/5-day. All these other attempts to grow the game won't get very far. I think the Hundred will survive for another 5/6 years and once the sponsorship ends and the overseas players reduce in number, it will be changed in the yearly program, switching slots with T20.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Another perfect example this week of the way the ECB are treating the county teams with contempt. In a deliberate attempt, I'm sure, to kill off the 'old and traditional' county system and move ahead with half a dozen or so 'new and exciting' teams called 'Southern... Northern... London... etc.
It's the QF's of the T20 blast this week. If helping the domestic game attract fans is a genuine aim, they should be allowing all the top one day players to play in that, on Sky, as a 'great advertisement of the domestic game', etc. Instead, they arrange the T20 series v India to start at the exact same time, taking away all the best T20 players, and media attention, from the counties playing in the QF's. Even playing tonight's International match at the exact same time as todays QF, taking away all the potential TV audience and media attention. Thanks, ECB! Another not so subtle middle finger to the county game. :evil:

Don't need white ball internationals any more now Baz has arrived. I've been to four days of Test cricket so far this summer (including the win at Edgbaston on Tuesday) and it's plenty entertaining watching us comfortably rattle off five or six an over.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:29 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Don't need white ball internationals any more now Baz has arrived. I've been to four days of Test cricket so far this summer (including the win at Edgbaston on Tuesday) and it's plenty entertaining watching us comfortably rattle off five or six an over.

I've been off here for a while but have to come back to agree with this. Me and my eldest lad were at Edgebaston on day 4. Man, what a time to be alive!! The fastest 100 partnership by an England opening pair, ever. EVER. After a wonderful spell, rattling out the Indians. Then the start of that Root and Bairstow partnership. Fuck me, I've been watching test cricket live since 1982. This is something extraordinarily special. To quote some random bloke: "test cricket; seems we've been doing it wrong for 150 years".

8 quid a pint (7 after the first round, when you returned your glasses) was a turd sandwich though...