THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:40 am 

https://twitter.com/SixNationsRugby/sta ... zzo-139834

Would a footballer who has lost in the last minute be so gracious. And if he did, how would the fans of his team treat him?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:21 am 

I’d widen the point to greater respect for officials and acceptance of decisions that you feel has gone against you. Rugby is very good at this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:09 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
As for the wider context of your suggestion, then there's obviously much more sportsmanship / less cheating in more meaningful games in some sports than there is in Football. I watch Snooker, and it's amazing how almost all the players will call fouls on themselves, tell the ref if the ball has been put back wrongly in a way that would benefit them, etc. Incredible honesty and sportsmanship even in major finals. You rarely get that in Football when the stakes are high.

It would be interesting to know any other sport had the same level of popularity and financial reward as football would continue to show such sportsmanship. With how outrageously competitive football is along with the pressure from owners, fans, sponsors etc. how much of the cheating/gamesmanship is a result of these pressures, or if some of the players are just pricks anyway :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:18 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
As for the wider context of your suggestion, then there's obviously much more sportsmanship / less cheating in more meaningful games in some sports than there is in Football. I watch Snooker, and it's amazing how almost all the players will call fouls on themselves, tell the ref if the ball has been put back wrongly in a way that would benefit them, etc. Incredible honesty and sportsmanship even in major finals. You rarely get that in Football when the stakes are high.

It would be interesting to know any other sport had the same level of popularity and financial reward as football would continue to show such sportsmanship. With how outrageously competitive football is along with the pressure from owners, fans, sponsors etc. how much of the cheating/gamesmanship is a result of these pressures, or if some of the players are just pricks anyway :lol:

The money in golf is eyewatering. Players regularly call penalties on themselves.

I think it’s a cultural thing.

Personally, I’m more concerned with respecting the referee.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:40 pm 

dons50 wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

The money in golf is eyewatering. Players regularly call penalties on themselves.

I think it’s a cultural thing.

Personally, I’m more concerned with respecting the referee.

I know very little about golf, but I can imagine like tennis and formula one the money is eyewatering for a very small amount of people, unlike in football where hundreds people in each country earn crazy money

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:43 am 

It's a nice gesture from him. I think in a similar context things like that would happen in football without much annoyance from the fans. It was pretty much the equivalent of a dead rubber, end of season game in football - final match but with no trophy or relegation or anything on the line. In that low pressure / relevance context for Wales, they could afford to be gracious in defeat for what was a rare win for Italy.

Another excellent example of fair play tonight.
It's the Last 32 of the World Championship - the biggest tournament in the sport, where the winner gets half a million pounds. Shaun Murphy, losing 7-6 at the time, was awarded a free ball that would help win the frame and draw level. He didn't think it was so he and the ref spent about two minutes politely discussing it - even though it was to Murphy's disadvantage to try and change the refs decision. When the ref stuck to it, Murphy opted not to take the free ball as he didn't want to benefit from what he regarded to be the wrong call. Such an amazing sport for players doing honourable things like that.

Fair play.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:06 am 

Good sportsmanship not only needs good player conduct, it also needs officials being fully supported by the sport's governing body. Which in all sports other than football is very much the case. Football officials get very little backup from the FA, EFL or FIFA, so the players take advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:16 am 

donmentor wrote:
Good sportsmanship not only needs good player conduct, it also needs officials being fully supported by the sport's governing body. Which in all sports other than football is very much the case. Football officials get very little backup from the FA, EFL or FIFA, so the players take advantage.

That’s very true. Not accepting the referee’s decision is one of my pet hates about football.