THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:49 pm 

dons50 wrote:
There’s a bigger issue than whether it inconveniences some entitled football fans.

There is obviously a bigger issue, but should that cost the people that work in the club shop, or the ticket office, or the stewards, or the hospitality workers, etc, etc, etc, their jobs ?

Abramovich is the target, target Abramovich.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:22 pm 

Casual Bystander wrote:
dons50 wrote:
There’s a bigger issue than whether it inconveniences some entitled football fans.

There is obviously a bigger issue, but should that cost the people that work in the club shop, or the ticket office, or the stewards, or the hospitality workers, etc, etc, etc, their jobs ?

I agree it’s unfortunate for the staff but you can’t target Russian owned businesses without affecting staff. Russian banks in London have UK staff who are affected too.

As I say, there’s a much bigger picture.

I’m certainly not shedding tears for people who are crying because they can’t watch their football team. Just go and watch another one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:53 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Casual Bystander wrote:
dons50 wrote:

I agree it’s unfortunate for the staff but you can’t target Russian owned businesses without affecting staff. Russian banks in London have UK staff who are affected too.

As I say, there’s a much bigger picture.

I’m certainly not shedding tears for people who are crying because they can’t watch their football team. Just go and watch another one.

You made some decent points in the post, but that last sentence is poor. I know that's your attitude to football, but it's a very unusual one and you really should start empathising more with the depth of most people's love and support for their team, rather than expecting them to have your emotionally detached view of the game.

I agree it’s my general attitude to football. I dislike tribalism, that’s true, butI do accept that others have a different view. I’m still entitled to put my view forward.

But surely even you see that this situation is different. Loyalty towards a football club is surely trivial compared to the bigger picture here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:57 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Casual Bystander wrote:
dons50 wrote:

you can’t target Russian owned businesses without affecting staff.

Why ? It’s clearly nowhere near as simple as this but the govt could assume ownership of the club, set a price, person(s) pay the price and take ownership of the club, money goes to Ukraine, job done. Collateral damaged is minimised, Abramovich is out of the picture and out of pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:06 pm 

Casual Bystander wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Casual Bystander wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Why ? It’s clearly nowhere near as simple as this but the govt could assume ownership of the club, set a price, person(s) pay the price and take ownership of the club, money goes to Ukraine, job done. Collateral damaged is minimised, Abramovich is out of the picture and out of pocket.

Should they do that for every Russian owned business that’s been affected or just football?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:13 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Casual Bystander wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Casual Bystander wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Should they do that for every Russian owned business that’s been affected or just football?

We’re talking about Chelsea/Abramovich.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:27 pm 

My last post on the matter.

I think it’s incredibly crass of football fans to complain about being inconvenienced.

The company I work for has a subsidiary in Ukraine. I spoke to someone today who had been speaking to the person doing my equivalent job in that subsidiary. From a bunker in Kiev.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:39 pm 

dons50 wrote:
I think it’s incredibly crass of football fans to complain about being inconvenienced.

I agree, although I’ve not actually heard of any doing that.

I think it’s incredibly crass to ignore that fact that peoples livelihoods are being affected and focus on the fans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:37 pm 

dons50 wrote:
My last post on the matter.

The company I work for has a subsidiary in Ukraine. I spoke to someone today who had been speaking to the person doing my equivalent job in that subsidiary. From a bunker in Kiev.

Kyiv

(fuck, I've waited 10 years to finally be the pedant. But it feels petty).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:48 pm 

Ignoring Chelski for a minute. All the oligarchs that got rich in Russia in the 90's are complete shits. Criminal bastards. But... my concern is that our government are (far too late!!) hitting the oligarchs and hoping the public think that's hitting Putin.

It isn't. IT ISN'T.

Putin is no longer reliant on the crooks. He has already targeted some of them himself. He is now surrounded and supported by military and security people. That's his background. That's his gang. It's the people that think like him, that he trusts, that share the same world-view. Not the people like RA. Hitting Chelsea is purely showboating politics for Boris and co.

Yes, go put the squeeze on crooks, 20 years too late. But that's not going to make Putin squirm.