THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Shane Warne
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:03 pm 

Just saw this flash up on my phone. Shocking! I was lucky enough to see him bowl live in several test matches. The best I ever saw. RIP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:15 pm 

Bloody hell!

One of the absolute best of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:28 pm 

Hated him as he player, but only because he was always so good against England. Always appreciated just how good he was. Will go down in history as one of the all time greats of the game of cricket. Fantastic spin bowler obviously, useful lower order batter, and all round fierce competitor.

As a commentator I absolutely loved him. He always seemed to talk so passionately about the game, providing insightful comments, and just seemed to love being a part of the team and being able to talk about a game that he clearly loved. He also seemed happy to give up his own time to talk to up and coming young spin bowlers, providing help and advice regardless of the team or country they played for to give back to the game that he had got so much from.

Gone too young at only 52! So glad I got to see him play at Edgbaston in 2005, even if we did give him plenty of abuse that day - to his credit he played up to the crowd and saw it as the friendly rivalry it was.

My favourite Shane Warne story is one I read in one of Bumble's books from when Shane had just started commentating on Sky, saying "he's twatted that" when someone had just hit a big 6, not realising that it wouldn't be seen as an acceptable thing to say in England

A legend who will never be forgotten!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:12 pm 

Was it not him and Greg Chapple that got their bowler to bowl the last ball along the ground to prevent a winning run being scored. Very unsporting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:21 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Was it not him and Greg Chapple that got their bowler to bowl the last ball along the ground to prevent a winning run being scored. Very unsporting.

No. It was not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:06 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
donmentor wrote:

No. It was not.

No - that was before Warne’s time. Greg Chappell got his brother, Trevor, to roll the ball along the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:17 pm 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
donmentor wrote:

No. It was not.

No - that was before Warne’s time. Greg Chappell got his brother, Trevor, to roll the ball along the ground.

OK. My bad memory.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:39 pm 

That's just appalling news. Dreadful. I'm not a cricket fan, but I knew him more for his off-field nonsense. A life well lived right enough.

Really shocked me if I'm being honest. I'm fast approaching the big six-o, and only this very afternoon made a truly life changing decision, but to find out that he was only 52! Terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:24 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
donmentor wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
donmentor wrote:

No. It was not.

OK. My bad memory.

That's a very bad memory. Shane Warne would have been about 10! :)
I was assuming you'd posted on the wrong thread and was aiming the dig at Rodney Marsh. Still would have been wrong, and unnecessary, but at least time wise it would have made more sense.

A very sad 24 hours for not just Australia but the world of cricket. Shane Warne's death hits particularly hard. So unexpected. And so sad to lose such a legend of the game far too soon.

At my age chronological time sequences become very distorted.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:36 pm 

I’m not a huge cricket fan. I’ll watch the major tournaments like the World Cup or the Ashes if they’re on free TV or Sky… but my first cricket memory is being engrossed in the 2005 ashes and despite Warne not having his greatest time then I was enamoured by his bowling. I’ve learnt a lot about him ever since and I won’t lie this is one of the first non English sporting deaths that has truly hit me like a ton of bricks. It’s horrific news.