THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ryder Cup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:31 pm 

Going to be awful long time before we get anywhere winning this again. Doubt I'll ever see it. :(

Post subject: Re: Ryder Cup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:26 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Going to be awful long time before we get anywhere winning this again. Doubt I'll ever see it. :(

They always say that. Somehow we manage it pretty often even though they have higher rated players.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:07 am 

dons50 wrote:
donmentor wrote:

They always say that. Somehow we manage it pretty often even though they have higher rated players.

This. The Postman always delivers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Golf isn't one of the 3 sports I follow, but I see there were 2 South Africans in the top 5 of The Open.
The Ryder Cup seems to have got pretty even since they extended it to the whole continent of Europe v USA. Is there talk of what to do with players from South Africa and Asia at some point or will they always be left out?
And there were a couple of Canadians in the top 15 of The Open - can they compete on the US side? It's always just referred to as 'US' rather than US & Canada, or North America, but it seems strange if Canadians are excluded?

This never got a reply but thought I'd ask it again while the Ryder Cup is taking place (and so far going as donmentor predicted).

Looking at the rankings, there's quite a number of players in the top 70 or so not eligible because they're from South Africa, Australia, Mexico, Canada, Japan, South Korea, etc. With sport ever widening up nowadays, and giving the less traditional continents more opportunities, has there been talk of further extending the Ryder Cup to include players from Asia, Africa, Oceania, etc? And how they'd divide the teams to try and make it equal?

We’re getting thrashed this time but Europe have easily held their own over the years. No need to change it, in my view.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:00 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Golf isn't one of the 3 sports I follow, but I see there were 2 South Africans in the top 5 of The Open.
The Ryder Cup seems to have got pretty even since they extended it to the whole continent of Europe v USA. Is there talk of what to do with players from South Africa and Asia at some point or will they always be left out?
And there were a couple of Canadians in the top 15 of The Open - can they compete on the US side? It's always just referred to as 'US' rather than US & Canada, or North America, but it seems strange if Canadians are excluded?

This never got a reply but thought I'd ask it again while the Ryder Cup is taking place (and so far going as donmentor predicted).

Looking at the rankings, there's quite a number of players in the top 70 or so not eligible because they're from South Africa, Australia, Mexico, Canada, Japan, South Korea, etc. With sport ever widening up nowadays, and giving the less traditional continents more opportunities, has there been talk of further extending the Ryder Cup to include players from Asia, Africa, Oceania, etc? And how they'd divide the teams to try and make it equal?

We’re getting thrashed this time but Europe have easily held their own over the years. No need to change it, in my view.

I wasn't asking it from a 'would it help Europe?' viewpoint. As you say, the continent v country balance has been pretty even over the years. I was asking if it's been discussed that it's only fair to include the players from the other continents as they're currently being excluded at the moment? Only at that point, if the other continents come in, was there an issue of 'how would they divide the newcomers to keep it fairly even?'

EDIT: I see the Presidents Cup is a tournament between USA and the Rest of the World (minus Europe) - so I assume that's a (lesser) tournament that attempts to include the other continents in a similar way while still allowing the Ryder Cup to stick with just Europe?

Yes, more or less. It does what you say, but, at the moment doesn’t have the status of the Ryder Cuo. That may change over time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:49 pm 

Leave the Ryder Cup as is. By all means include other continents in other comps... but the RC is special. Even when we lose badly, like today.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:13 am 

There are competitions for the Asian, South Africans, etc to play in- there is the Presidents Cup which is USA v Rest of the World (minus Europe).

There's talk of restarting the Seve Trophy (GB & Ireland v Rest of Europe) and EurAsia Cup (pretty obvious that- Europe v Asia), as well as adding a couple more in the binennial calendar, being an Africa/Australia v Asia and a ROW (Minus USA/Europe) v Asia.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:59 am 

Remember that the Ryder Cup used to be GB & I v USA. We’ve already changed it once to include Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:04 am 

dons50 wrote:
Remember that the Ryder Cup used to be GB & I v USA. We’ve already changed it once to include Europe.

Only because we kept getting hammered.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am 

You also have the Walker Cup which is for amateurs.

Team golf is becoming ever popular, they now play Golf Sixes which is pairs, but there is a second foursomes tournament returning to the tour, I know the Zurich classic is this. I think eventually there will be a "sixth major" (I know there are four with the PLAYERS Championship at Sawgrass seen as "the fifth") Where pairs Matchplay is the format.