THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Current sporting hero
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:22 pm 

Who is the one (non Dons) sporting ‘hero’, that you watch their progress with a huge amount of interest.

For me, it is Joe Root.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:14 pm 

Mark Cavendish. Sublime comeback in the Tour de France.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:47 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:

More this than a very thissy thing. And he married a page 3 girl.

Plus Pedro Acosta. He won again last weekend. The kid is going places faster than Judith Chalmers with the squits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 am 

Ben Stokes, Novak Djokovic, Tom Brady (even if he is now a Buc- cannot hate him!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:38 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 2019/20
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
More this than a very thissy thing.
Theses.

Never thought I'd see Cav win another Tour de France stage, let alone 4! Chapeau Cav, for never giving up!
Can't leave out my other current heroes - everyone needs a great team around them to help them win:

Michael Mørkøv - the best leadout man in the world - for leading out Cav so perfectly & selflessly to enable him to equal Merckx's Tour de France stage wins record, and then going on to win the Madison gold medal for Denmark in Tokyo, together with Lasse Norman Hansen.

Tim Declercq - the best domestique rider in the world - for sheltering & helping Cav to finish inside the time limit over huge mountain stages, and to enable Cav to be there at the front for the last 2km together with Michael Mørkøv, in order to win stages.

Jason Kenny for winning yet another Keirin gold medal in Tokyo through sheer guile & experience despite now not being quite as quick as he once was, making him the British Olympian with the most gold medals, and most medals in total, ever.
Laura Kenny, for likewise crushing the Danes in the women's Madison, to win gold for Great Britain, together wth Katie Archibald.
Jason & Laura Kenny have now won 12 Olympic gold medals in total, so far. Arise Sir Jason & Dame Kenny.

Matt Walls - Omnium gold at Tokyo, with panache.

Tom Pidcock - Mountain Bike gold at Tokyo, while making it look easy.

Beth Shriever - Women's BMX racing gold at Tokyo, despite UK Sport only supporting male BMX racers for Tokyo 2020...

Charlotte Worthington - Women's BMX freestyle gold at Tokyo, where she became the first woman in history to land a 360-degree backflip in competition.

And last but not least, Helio Castro Neves, for winning his record-equalling fourth victory in this year's fastest ever Indy 500 at 46 years old.
Never thought I'd see him win another Indy 500.

PW: 'Every year we’re in League 1 is a year too long...'
It was Pete's train set and you were honoured to be granted the privilege of paying to watch him play with it for 20yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:07 pm 

So Cavendish has the Tour de France record of wins. What an achievement.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:38 am 

I used to have footballers and cricketers in each era that would fall into this category - but it's really just the teams I follow nowadays in those sports, rather than any specific player.

So it would be a Snooker player that I'd choose. And that would be either Judd Trump or Jack Lisowski. If you focus on the 'hero' part, then I'd have to pick Judd Trump as he's getting close to the best out of his ability and winning plenty of trophies which I love to see.

However, the OP also said "you watch their progress with a huge amount of interest" - and that most applies to Jack Lisowski out of all sports stars. I'm desperate for him to win his first tournament! Can't class him as a 'hero' as he's a real underachiever who should have won a few by now! But he's the individual sportsman that I most follow and cheer on and I'm desperate to see finally win something.