THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:59 pm 

I predict Littler will end up 25 stone within 5 years, with T2 diabetes. And a lot of silverware.

*this post is an obvious play to try and be put on Dan's ignore list. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:08 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
I predict Littler will end up 25 stone within 5 years, with T2 diabetes. And a lot of silverware.

Nowhere near close enough to get on there, you've actually made a point worth discussing. :lol:

Luke is a big lad for his age, and there's a part of me that thinks it might stop the BBC in particular getting properly into darts again. I can see there being a lot of pressure/negativity from some sections of the public that it might be seen as glorifying bad diets, obesity and lack of exercise in younger people. There's been a fair bit of that on the BBC comments sections over the last few days.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:35 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Nowhere near close enough to get on there, you've actually made a point worth discussing. :lol:

Luke is a big lad for his age, and there's a part of me that thinks it might stop the BBC in particular getting properly into darts again. I can see there being a lot of pressure/negativity from some sections of the public that it might be seen as glorifying bad diets, obesity and lack of exercise in younger people. There's been a fair bit of that on the BBC comments sections over the last few days.

All stuff that would be seen as outrageous body shaming in other situations.

I agree, though - although the 'British success at a young age' comparison works with Littler and Raducanu, in pretty much every other respect they couldn't be different. A young, non-caucasian woman winning at Tennis is going to get far more of a push, and be classed as far more of an 'impact moment', than a textbook looking Darts player. His young age will get him some short term coverage, but I can't see it having much long term. To stay 'relevant' in the mainstream long-term in a sport that struggles for media coverage then he'll have to keep doing this kind of thing regularly - once will be quickly forgotten, unlike Raducanu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:48 pm 

Plum wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

I agree, though - although the 'British success at a young age' comparison works with Littler and Raducanu, in pretty much every other respect they couldn't be different. A young, non-caucasian woman winning at Tennis is going to get far more of a push, and be classed as far more of an 'impact moment', than a textbook looking Darts player. His young age will get him some short term coverage, but I can't see it having much long term. To stay 'relevant' in the mainstream long-term in a sport that struggles for media coverage then he'll have to keep doing this kind of thing regularly - once will be quickly forgotten, unlike Raducanu.

At the risk of annoying Dan, there’s a very big difference between winning the US Open in tennis and the World Darts tournament. One is an enormous international sport and the other is only really relevant to a much more limited audience. Raducanu’s achievement was probably the greatest that I can recall by a British sportsperson.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:03 pm 

It was my post and I wasnt comparing the sport, just the story and the reaction to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:44 pm 

Magpie wrote:
It was my post and I wasnt comparing the sport, just the story and the reaction to it.

Yes agreed. You made the point that Raducanu’s was seen as more of an impact moment, if I’ve understood you. My point is that I agree with you and I also think it’s justified that her win had much more impact.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:32 pm 

Theres a reason sky have the rights to darts and eurosport have the rights to tennis. Noone watches tennis sll year round untill wimbledon. Darts draws audiences all year round and is growing big time in the 18-24’s who sporeciate both the skill and the social aspect and the fact that it is so easily accessible to play for anyone in that age range. Good luck getting on a local tennis court if tennis had any kind of popularity outside of wimbledon. Its just not accessible or interesting to most young adults.

Darrs has seen a boom in the wake of the premier league and id argue its a far more growing sport than tennis.

And radecanu is fucking dogshit and a flash in the pan.

This country produces once in a blue moon tennis players of any real world level quality. 2 in my lifetime and only 1 of them actually had any real success the other was a nearly man all of his career.

How many people are honestly talking about tennis today? Tomorrow? Last week? In 2 weeks time? Darts is on the lips of people i work with that dont even have an interest in it thanks to a 16 year old sensation story. Who is talking about radecanu or even gives a shit about her?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:03 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Plum wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

At the risk of annoying Dan, there’s a very big difference between winning the US Open in tennis and the World Darts tournament. One is an enormous international sport and the other is only really relevant to a much more limited audience. Raducanu’s achievement was probably the greatest that I can recall by a British sportsperson.

Your post wouldn’t annoy Dan, as he wouldn’t have seen it, because you’re on his ignore list. But now that I’ve quoted it… :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:21 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Theres a reason sky have the rights to darts and eurosport have the rights to tennis.

Sky have recently bought the rights to the ATP and WTA tours and are going to be showing much more tennis from now on! Including the aforementioned Raducanu, who will be playing in the Brisbane Open at around 5AM tomorrow morning.

Seriously though, they're both great sports and both great achievements. They may both attract different types of spectators but that doesn't mean that one is any bigger or better than the other. If you don't like tennis, that's cool, nobody is making you watch it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:32 pm 

Some start this.

Make yourselves comfortable, this could be quite the ride.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next