THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:14 pm 

No discussion of darts is complete until somebody has chipped in with “but is it a sport?”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:21 pm 

Some final this, great stuff from both Lukes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:29 am 

Cracking final. Littler played well and has so much to be proud of, but it was always going to come down to whether or not Humphries could replicate his semi-final form - and for the majority of the game, he did.

Humphries, by the way, has now won more than £900,000 in prize money in the last three months! Deserving world champion and world number one.

Premier League line-up will be announced at 4pm tomorrow. For his sake, I hope Littler isn't in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:14 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Theres a reason sky have the rights to darts and eurosport have the rights to tennis. Noone watches tennis sll year round untill wimbledon. Darts draws audiences all year round and is growing big time in the 18-24’s who sporeciate both the skill and the social aspect and the fact that it is so easily accessible to play for anyone in that age range. Good luck getting on a local tennis court if tennis had any kind of popularity outside of wimbledon. Its just not accessible or interesting to most young adults.

Darrs has seen a boom in the wake of the premier league and id argue its a far more growing sport than tennis.

And radecanu is fucking dogshit and a flash in the pan.

This country produces once in a blue moon tennis players of any real world level quality. 2 in my lifetime and only 1 of them actually had any real success the other was a nearly man all of his career.

How many people are honestly talking about tennis today? Tomorrow? Last week? In 2 weeks time? Darts is on the lips of people i work with that dont even have an interest in it thanks to a 16 year old sensation story. Who is talking about radecanu or even gives a shit about her?

I mean, it depends on your circle, I guess?

Because my circle, I can have long pub long conversations with people I know about the tennis - it interests me, and others I know. I have little to no interest in darts, so I could generally give as much a shit about it as you do tennis. But generally, I find there are more tennis fans outside of Wimbledon than is given credit. Nobody listens for it if they don't give a shit. I don't care for darts but I know if I keep an ear out for it I'll hear it daily. Same with boxing. I love boxing, my second favourite sport. A lot of people say it is only relevant when the next big Heavyweight fight is 2 weeks away. That isn't true. It is daily news.

To me, Raducanu winning the American Open was one of, if not the most unbelievable individual sporting moments of my lifetime. Whatever her career turned out to be (she's literally only 21, years away from what could be anyone's peak) it doesn't take away from the achievement. I was in awe, and couldn't stop talking about it for weeks.
Littler, with the darts, has been the talk of the town, if not the world for a about 10-15 days. It had little interest for me until tonight when I watched it. And enjoyed it, might I say. He might turn out to be an absolute bum, a flash in the pan and yesterdays man. "Remember Luke Littler?" Etc. His achievement isn't worth downplaying, but people seem to take joy out of downplaying tennis achievements for some reason and its always, and always will baffle me.

One of the most mentally, physically and emotionally draining individual sports you can get. It's a shame that the last few years I've lost a bit of touch with it because of accessibility to viewing it, but I keep tabs on it and adore the sport. I agree it's not easy for children to get into, it costs a lot (I should know because I wasn't able to play it as a kid because it cost too much to join a club as a kid), and it's not really a sport you can do alone. And darts, quite literally can be self taught. I could enter a pub tomorrow, throw arrows from open to close every day for the next 5 years and get into tournaments if I worked hard at it, which doesn't downplay its talent, it just makes it more accessible.
People relate to darts because they've played it, have been around it etc. People don't relate to tennis because, well, they don't relate to it.

As a sport, tennis will always be a more enjoyable, emotionally gripping and entertaining overall to me. But having watched darts tonight and "getting it" for the first time I see it'd appeal now... but a few years ago, Emma Raducanu was Luke Littler. And don't you dare pretend she wasn't. She was on Fox News. She was on a billboard in Times Square for weeks. She was in vogue. The face of adverts. Her achievement was absolutely fucking sensational and still is. If she retired there and then it was still a monumental triumph. Just because people have stopped talking about it doesn't make it any less gigantic. I hope Littler keeps up his rate of success - I really do. Because it helped me enjoy darts. But if he stops now he has a story for a lifetime, the same as she does.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:59 am 

There was a very good piece on this morning's Today Program about last night, not focusing on Littler as such, rather the culture surrounding darts, with particular focus on the fancy dress aspect. Presenter Nick Robinson started the piece by interviewing two guys from Bathgate who were dressed as penguins. Why have you come as penguins he asked, and as quick as a flash one of them replied in typical West Coast Scottish humour that they wanted to come as Wombles but the costumes were too expensive.

He interviewed various others, then found Sky's Helen Chamberlain who told him that you either get darts and the surrounding circus, or you don't. I don't. I was watching it last night and it didn't grab me. I'm looking at the crowd thinking none of you have heard a single record by The Fall. I was particularly interested when it cut to his, Littler's, home town. I'd run a mile to get away from people like that. However that's not to denigrate either his achievement or their enthusiasm, its just not for me. I'm an artistic snob, and I'll freely admit that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:31 am 

Gers wrote:
There was a very good piece on this morning's Today Program about last night, not focusing on Littler as such, rather the culture surrounding darts, with particular focus on the fancy dress aspect. Presenter Nick Robinson started the piece by interviewing two guys from Bathgate who were dressed as penguins. Why have you come as penguins he asked, and as quick as a flash one of them replied in typical West Coast Scottish humour that they wanted to come as Wombles but the costumes were too expensive.

He interviewed various others, then found Sky's Helen Chamberlain who told him that you either get darts and the surrounding circus, or you don't. I don't. I was watching it last night and it didn't grab me. I'm looking at the crowd thinking none of you have heard a single record by The Fall. I was particularly interested when it cut to his, Littler's, home town. I'd run a mile to get away from people like that. However that's not to denigrate either his achievement or their enthusiasm, its just not for me. I'm an artistic snob, and I'll freely admit that.

Good post. Darts isn't for people like you, and it's all the better for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:31 am 

Re: Raducanu's US Open win - I don't follow many sports, and Tennis is included in that, but I hear or read enough about them that I'm usually at least familiar with the names of the top players in many sports, and those who regularly reach later stages, etc. And, again, that includes Tennis.

I've just been looking at Raducanu's route and I must admit I've not really heard of any of the players she beat along the way. And a look at the seedings seems to suggest none were in the Top 10 at the time. Did the draw open up for her or something? Was it a bit like the Leicester season were all the top ones were off it all at the same time? As I see even in the final she was playing a fellow teen and 'underdog' who, even now, has never been higher than 17. Looking at who she beat, they seem to be the kind of higher ranked seeds I've heard of - Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina... Was Raducanu in the easier side of the draw, or did the top seeds like that get knocked out before she was due to play them or something?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:32 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:

Good post. Darts isn't for people like you, and it's all the better for it.

A working class man who’s become middle class discussing darts with a middle class man who’s becoming working class. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:25 am 

The achievement the Raducanu made was really something quite epic in is scale mainly due to the likelihood of it happening then or again anytime soon was and remains extremely remote.

The same could perhaps have been said about Littler.

Tennis as a sport seems quite elitest and personally I know a not a single person who plays tennis at a professional level of any description. The etiquette and fans around it are quiet elitist as well for me and I just dont get gripped by it. too long, too many periods of nothing happening and too many breaks.

Darts is something I will watch if its on, I have actually been to the darts live at Ally Pally, lakeside and MK Arena but its not a sport I love. Its just something I can tolerate if its there.

I love football, boxing, snooker and F1. I cant stand Cricket, Athletics and gymnastics. All a mix of more elite or more accessible sports on either side of the equation so I guess its just what grips rather than the background.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:07 pm 

Magpie wrote:
The achievement the Raducanu made was really something quite epic in is scale mainly due to the likelihood of it happening then or again anytime soon was and remains extremely remote.

The same could perhaps have been said about Littler.

Tennis as a sport seems quite elitest and personally I know a not a single person who plays tennis at a professional level of any description. The etiquette and fans around it are quiet elitist as well for me and I just dont get gripped by it. too long, too many periods of nothing happening and too many breaks.

Darts is something I will watch if its on, I have actually been to the darts live at Ally Pally, lakeside and MK Arena but its not a sport I love. Its just something I can tolerate if its there.

I love football, boxing, snooker and F1. I cant stand Cricket, Athletics and gymnastics. All a mix of more elite or more accessible sports on either side of the equation so I guess its just what grips rather than the background.

I don't look at class when watching sport. I'm just as happy at the Lord's Test as I am at the darts in Blackpool.

It's more a question of attitude. I've been to both Lord's and Blackpool on my own, and the one thing they have in common is that it's very easy to strike up a conversation with like-minded enthusiasts, make new friends and feel part of it. They could be investment bankers on the Veuve Clicquot or scaffolders on the Boddingtons: if they love the sport enough to spend their money to be there, then they're a friend to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next