THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:40 am 

I'll go to motor racing, and anyone who watches the British Touring Car Championship and its support races, particularly last year, will be aware of Harry King.

Aged 20, Harry King is the reigning Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain champion. Having won his drive as a scholarship from Porsche for 2020 and 2021, in his debut season he won 12 out of 16 races on his way to the title. Add in 7 pole positions from a possible 8 (they race twice in a weekend, so only one qualifying each meeting), and 12 fastest laps. Deservedly names as National Driver of the Year for 2020 by Autosport magazine.

It will be interesting to see where he goes in the future. Having chosen to go to Porsche racing rather than the single seater Formula 4, I assume he isn't destined for F1, but he looks to have a great career ahead of him

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:09 pm 

Pedro Acosta. Leading the Moto3 championship in his rookie season at Grand Prix level by a country mile. Second place on his debut, then won the next three races (one of which he started from the pit lane after everyone else had gone!), then crashed and remounted in a wet race and still finished eighth.

MotoGP factories are already courting him, with the possibility that he might skip Moto2 entirely and go straight in with the big boys.

The really scary bit? He only turned 17 last week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 pm 

Another win for Pedro Acosta today. Started 13th, was leading within about six laps. Now leads the championship by 55 points.

The Pedro Acosta Hype Train is full steam ahead. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:04 pm 

Next stop on the Pedro Acosta Hype Train: the Dutch TT at Assen yesterday.

Was involved in a massive pile-up on Saturday morning and another bike literally ran over him. Suffered a back injury that forced him to miss qualifying and stay in hospital overnight.

Came out of hospital first thing Sunday morning and raced at 11am. Started 18th, finished fourth.

The boy's a bit special! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:20 am 

Bump.

Pedro Acosta, still only 17, won the Moto3 world championship with a race to spare. Youngest world champion in any GP class since Loris Capirossi in 1990.

Not only is he moving up to Moto2 for the next two years, but KTM already have him locked into a MotoGP contract for 2024.

Possibly the most golden handcuffs I've ever seen in sport!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:45 am 

Keane Barry.. Young darts player from Ireland only 19 looks the real deal...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:09 am 

Mk Ron wrote:
Keane Barry.. Young darts player from Ireland only 19 looks the real deal...

Yes, he was bloody good against Clayton.

After his performance tonight, I'd add Florian Hempel to the 'ones to watch' list, too. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:26 pm 

Callan Rydz having a great Tournament only lost 1 set could go all the way...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:26 am 

Phil Foden is only 21.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:14 pm 

Bump.

Pedro Acosta, four days after his 18th birthday, won his first Moto2 race today. He crashed out of the lead of the previous race, but it looks like he's mastered a class that is notoriously difficult for rookies.

There's a big shake-up in the MotoGP rider market atm, caused by the withdrawal of my beloved Suzuki at the end of the season, so there isn't really a place for PAco for 2023. But he seems nailed on to be in MotoGP in 2024 - and if so, he'll still be a teenager when he makes his debut.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next