THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm 

Being around loads of John Terry types, dressed as Tommy Selby to watch horses run through a field when you don't gamble doesn't work for me.

Though, I'd go just to watch the aforementioned John Terry types drunkenly kick fuck out of each other at the end of every day so maybe I will think about it

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:41 pm 

See, we saw this happen in the other Enclosure. Where we were was actually really good. After each race grabbing a beer and heating to a tent. Where we were there was not one bit of noticeable trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:42 pm 

Is Samir allowed to go to Cheltenham again yet?

Horse racing is phenomenally council. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:50 pm 

Each to their own I suppose but I can only speak from personal experience. Since going I've been to Huntingdon and Newmarket. It's great fun.
At Cheltenham I'm picking a horse and having a £5 flutter. Nothing huge- £35 spent on that, £30 on beer. £100 for 6 hours. And if you win 1 race you've got a portion of your day back. So far it's cost me £20 on the first year and last year I walked away £5 up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:54 pm 

SteelbackDon wrote:
Each to their own I suppose but I can only speak from personal experience. Since going I've been to Huntingdon and Newmarket. It's great fun.
At Cheltenham I'm picking a horse and having a £5 flutter. Nothing huge- £35 spent on that, £30 on beer. £100 for 6 hours. And if you win 1 race you've got a portion of your day back. So far it's cost me £20 on the first year and last year I walked away £5 up.

For the horses? :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:55 pm 

SteelbackDon wrote:

All jokes aside, I've never been to horse or greyhound racing and it sounds like a fun day or evening out, especially one of the quieter meetings. But the idea of going to a big meeting like Cheltenham, with so many people just there to be seen and get on the piss, is definitely not my idea of fun. I've got family who live in Cheltenham and they've always told me that Festival week is a nightmare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:27 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
I've got family who live in Cheltenham and they've always told me that Festival week is a nightmare.

Probably true for those living near any major event (Glasto et al, Goodway Revival, Cowes etc). My sister used to live in a seaside town and winter was always the preferred season.

*I meant Goodwood obvs. Bloody phones.

Last edited by keyser soze on Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:30 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Probably true for those living near any major event (Glasto et al, Goodway Revival, Cowes etc). My sister used to live in a seaside town and winter was always the preferred season.

Except for MK during Grand Prix weekend, where apart from the Uber and taxi wars at the train station, you wouldn't even know it was on. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:44 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Except for MK during Grand Prix weekend, where apart from the Uber and taxi wars at the train station, you wouldn't even know it was on. :lol:

Not in MK no, but try getting a restaurant seat or a hotel room in south Northants. Imagine what an arse ache it would be having both sides of the A43 (is it the 43?) used as a one way route in, then out, if you typically used it every day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:56 am 

With Cheltenham, the beauty is there are different enclosures, we go in the Best Mate, but there are others which are marked as more social when purchasing. We intentionally didn't and the one we were in was without trouble at all. At Huntingdon especially, there's not a chance to be any aggro or anything like that, as there just isn't the facilities or crowd numbers to do so. It's an enjoyable day for all.

We've since been Romford Greyhounds for a 70th birthday party, had a meal and it was reasonably priced- £25 at the time each for the adults and the meal was lovely, no idiots out to just get tanked on booze.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next