THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:04 pm 

Plum wrote:
Re: Raducanu's US Open win - I don't follow many sports, and Tennis is included in that, but I hear or read enough about them that I'm usually at least familiar with the names of the top players in many sports, and those who regularly reach later stages, etc. And, again, that includes Tennis.

I've just been looking at Raducanu's route and I must admit I've not really heard of any of the players she beat along the way. And a look at the seedings seems to suggest none were in the Top 10 at the time. Did the draw open up for her or something? Was it a bit like the Leicester season were all the top ones were off it all at the same time? As I see even in the final she was playing a fellow teen and 'underdog' who, even now, has never been higher than 17. Looking at who she beat, they seem to be the kind of higher ranked seeds I've heard of - Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina... Was Raducanu in the easier side of the draw, or did the top seeds like that get knocked out before she was due to play them or something?

IIRC it was right in the middle of the pandemic so quite possibly the bigger names just didn't enter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:24 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Plum wrote:
Re: Raducanu's US Open win - I don't follow many sports, and Tennis is included in that, but I hear or read enough about them that I'm usually at least familiar with the names of the top players in many sports, and those who regularly reach later stages, etc. And, again, that includes Tennis.

I've just been looking at Raducanu's route and I must admit I've not really heard of any of the players she beat along the way. And a look at the seedings seems to suggest none were in the Top 10 at the time. Did the draw open up for her or something? Was it a bit like the Leicester season were all the top ones were off it all at the same time? As I see even in the final she was playing a fellow teen and 'underdog' who, even now, has never been higher than 17. Looking at who she beat, they seem to be the kind of higher ranked seeds I've heard of - Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina... Was Raducanu in the easier side of the draw, or did the top seeds like that get knocked out before she was due to play them or something?

IIRC it was right in the middle of the pandemic so quite possibly the bigger names just didn't enter

It was certainly during the pandemic, yeah.
I guess that's just the beauty of cup / knockout tournaments like that, compared to a league format - a draw 'opening up', or just get a favourable draw each round, and you don't even have to play, let alone beat, any of the higher ranked players / teams en route. She was still obviously beating players ranked much higher than her, so still 'upset' wins, of course. Just doesn't seem to have had to play any of the ones you'd expect to have to beat at some stage if you want to win something like the US Open.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:31 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Plum wrote:

It was 2021, so things were not quite as restricted. She did get a slightly easier run than you would expect but I don't recall that being because of bigger names not entering.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:37 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
Plum wrote:

It was 2021, so things were not quite as restricted. She did get a slightly easier run than you would expect but I don't recall that being because of bigger names not entering.

I'm not a tennis fan, I just watched the final so have no idea if they did or not, I just also remember things like Djokovic not being allowed to go to certain places because of the pandemic and vaccination status so presume similar could have happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:52 pm 

Bizarrely 'None of the top 20 seeds lost prior to the third round, the first time this occurred since the introduction of the 32-seed format in 2001' https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_US ... 7s_singles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:19 pm 

Raducanu played Rogers, Bencic, Sakkari, and Fernandez in the final (Just from memory).

Whilst she was extraordinary in the run and superb to watch and cheer on, I said at the time I fear she will never carry on and this will be her ceiling. I really and truly hope I am wrong, but I'm closer to being right than the other so far.

What I want to know, how will Littler's thrown will be affected by his growing he still has to go. Being his age, he will still be growing for a few years, so dealing with the height gain and muscle growth, etc will be a challenge as aim points will naturally change. Is Darts a sport affected by this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:27 pm 

I've not got an opinion either way on Emma's potential. She has had it tough and been really poorly advised over ther past few years, hence the Watford level of new trainers, and injury problems haven't helped.
She's a clever and very mature girl. She isn't a party girl or a from bad people - and she's only 21. There's another world in which she could've made her first big appearance later this year, plenty of 20/21 year old have broke onto the scene which made the age she was at so bizarre an achievement.

I hope Luke doesn't have a difficult time - he needs better management already. Some of the stuff I've seen him be subjected to is ridiculous, he's 16 and he's already having to answer questions on his personal life and he needs protection. Now the tournament is over, he needs the right support when he is shopping, doing his driving lessons, any studies he might want to do etc.

Also, before I close, I've never found tennis elitist in the slightest. Other than how expensive and difficult it was to get lessons in, the general crowds of people I know who regularly go to the events are far from elitist. I actually know more people like myself (Ask Dan, Gers or Runyak if I am strawberries, cream and recieved pronunciation) who like tennis over (for want for a better word) posh snobby people

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:40 pm 

Littler confirmed for the Premier League. What a baptism of fire!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:46 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Also, before I close, I've never found tennis elitist in the slightest. Other than how expensive and difficult it was to get lessons in, the general crowds of people I know who regularly go to the events are far from elitist. I actually know more people like myself (Ask Dan, Gers or Runyak if I am strawberries, cream and recieved pronunciation) who like tennis over (for want for a better word) posh snobby people

Only when you're the defendant. :D

I get the feeling there's a bit of a difference between tennis fans in general and those who just like to go to Wimbledon. I think the latter tend to be the affluent demographic, particularly older women.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:35 pm 

Wimbledon, like most big tournaments of any sport, are ridiculously expensive. I've tried to get tickets for years. Smaller venues than a 80k seater stadium (duh) where even the cheaper seats are expensive, but probably more justifiable than something like the cheaper tennis seats. It's a darn shame.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next