THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:47 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Premier League line-up will be announced at 4pm tomorrow. For his sake, I hope Littler isn't in it.

This aged well then :lol:

To be fair that's a massive credit to Littler. The Worlds could have been a huge flash in the pan and he could have sunk back down the rankings but he's just going from strength to strength.

Yep, absolutely, I hold my hands up to that one! :oops:

Lots of players have gone into the PL in previous years and found it too intense and crumbled: Gerwyn Price of all people absolutely shat himself first time round.

Littler has done an amazing job. He doesn't play the guy alongside him - he just plays the board. He aims to get 501 in as few darts as possible: if he wins, great; if he doesn't, never mind. I think that's why he doesn't get fazed against the established top players like MVG.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:06 pm 

It's such a great effort by Littler, even more so to keep it going in the way he has so far.

On the other end of the age spectrum, Ronnie O'Sullivan has just got into yet another major Snooker final, and his current run as world #1 is now the longest of his 32 year professional career - and that's such a great effort for a 48 year old!

O'Sullivan is the type of flawed genius that I think plenty expected to shine bright for a good while when he burst through as a teenager but then burn up and self combust, rather than show such longevity to still be at the top of the game 30+ years later. Shows you can't always predict what will happen to these super talented youngsters - good and bad scenarios. Hopefully Littler can sustain it and have a long, successful career - he certainly couldn't have started it any better!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:37 pm 

Plum wrote:
It's such a great effort by Littler, even more so to keep it going in the way he has so far.

On the other end of the age spectrum, Ronnie O'Sullivan has just got into yet another major Snooker final, and his current run as world #1 is now the longest of his 32 year professional career - and that's such a great effort for a 48 year old!

O'Sullivan is the type of flawed genius that I think plenty expected to shine bright for a good while when he burst through as a teenager but then burn up and self combust, rather than show such longevity to still be at the top of the game 30+ years later. Shows you can't always predict what will happen to these super talented youngsters - good and bad scenarios. Hopefully Littler can sustain it and have a long, successful career - he certainly couldn't have started it any better!

No disrespect to Ronnie, but one of Selby and Trump should really have knocked him off his perch by now.

The 2014 world final is still my favourite match of all time. Ronnie was 10-5 up and Selby spent a day and a half of unwavering diligence and mental fortitude grinding him into dust. I love snooker matches with contrasting styles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Plum wrote:

No disrespect to Ronnie, but one of Selby and Trump should really have knocked him off his perch by now.

The 2014 world final is still my favourite match of all time. Ronnie was 10-5 up and Selby spent a day and a half of unwavering diligence and mental fortitude grinding him into dust. I love snooker matches with contrasting styles.

You'd have thought so, yeah. Or any of the multitude of Chinese players. But their inability to do so yet is as much to do with O'Sullivan somehow keeping up his break building ability while improving his safety game, match play and mental strength throughout the decades than it has the failings of others.

It's as if he gets all his demons out with the BS he spouts in interviews nowadays, and pretty much always has his mental state in a good place during the games. That wasn't always the case at all, so his match play and consistency are as good as they've ever been, if not stronger. Even if he has finally lost some of that genius / magic along the way, he seems mentally stronger and harder for the likes of Selby to wear him down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 am 

Robbie Mainoo is some player **drool emoji**

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:36 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Robbie Mainoo is some player **drool emoji**

Yep, I watch all the United youth games on MUTV and saw them win the FA Youth Cup a couple of years ago in front of almost 70,000 at Old Trafford. Kobbie Mainoo and Alejandro Garnacho (2 goals) both started, and it was obvious they were two of the few who could possibly make it. Though wasn't expecting it to be so soon, and for them both to be United regulars and full internationals while still teens! Willy Kambwala, another teen who started v Liverpool at the weekend, would also have been in that cup winning team but spent a lot of his academy time injured.

The current U18's are 13 points clear at the top of the table, and won 9-1 away at Liverpool this weekend! The ones to look out for in that group include Harry Amass (17 year old LB, who filled a place on the first team bench v Liverpool), Elyh Harrison (18 year old 'modern' keeper), Bendito Mantato (16 year old left footed winger with a great name), Ethan Williams (18 year old two footed winger), Shea Lacey (16 year old small, skilful AM), Amir Ibragimov (16 skilful AM but with a build more similar to Rooney at that age)... A lot of those already feature at times for the U21's as well.
'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:23 pm 

Cole Fucking Palmer, by the way.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 am 

Callum Vidler. Aussie quick. Watch this space!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 pm 

Pedro Acosta update. He finished a very strong second in Austin and led an absolute thriller of a race at some stages.

Today in the sprint at Jerez, he finished second from 10th on the grid - helped partly by an utterly chaotic race in which 15 out of the 25 riders crashed at some point or another, due to damp patches from morning rain. It was only a 12-lap race!

Acosta is now second in the world championship...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14